Fishing

NightRN

My stepfather wants to go fishing. He's not a real fisherman. In his words, "I just want to cast a line. I don't care if I get anything. It's just that going to Alaska without fishing is like going to Yellowstone without seeing Old Faithful." He doesn't want to charter a fishing boat. I was wondering if there is anywhere to go when we finish our cruise in Seward or any other suggestions you may have.

My stepfather wants to go fishing. He's not a real fisherman. In his words, "I just want to cast a line. I don't care if I get anything. ..."

He won't say that if he hooks a King salmon!! You don't need to charter a boat, just a spot on one. Where to go depends on when you're going and what your itinerary is. You're probably going to be in Ketchikan, though, and he can rent the gear and wet a line along Creek Street at very little cost ( http://www.visit-ketchikan.com/Portals/0/Maps/Ketchikan_Downtown.pdf )

Fishing is good for salmon in Ketchikan and Seward, and for halibut in Icy Strait and Seward. You can do a ship's excursion in Ketchikan or get a seat on a charter boat. Icy Strait or Seward would be best for that. I prefer Seward since the fishing is fairly close.

Thanks for the info. We're on a northbound cruise from 7/3 to 7/10. We stop in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Icy Strait Point and get off in Seward. Does he need a permit or license or something like that?

Yes he needs a fishing license. If you start talking to fishing guides, ask if they sell them, if not, you can buy them online http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/

Susan in Anchorage :)

I agree that fishing off the bridge in Ketchikan would be your best bet. Depending on the time of year, that little stream can be loaded with fish (mostly humpy salmon). You might consider bringing your own gear (just a small, collapsible rod; spinning or casting real; a few lures; swivels). Heck, the last time I was there, you wouldn't even need a rod - just a spool of line and lures and you're set. But you'll still need a license. For just 1 day, it isn't expensive.

Caroline

Archived