What’s With RCCL Rates?

GoofingOff

RCCL Jewel of the Seas 7/28/09 12-night Baltics out of England is $3,049 for balcony. 3rd or 4th person rate is $1,299.

NCL Norwegian Jewel’s 8/2/09 12-night Baltics out of England is $2,099 for balcony. 3rd or 4th person is $199. NCL also gives $175 OBC per room.

The diff. amounts to $4,275 for a family of 4. The difference between the two lines’ oceanview and inside are also large.

Itinerary are very similar. Only difference being RCCL does Oslo in lieu of Berlin.

Can anyone make sense of this? Is this normal? Celebrity and Princess are more in line with NCL although not quite as affordable.

I haven't been on RCCL but I did take a cruise to Alaska on NCL a few years ago. Granted, I'm not a cruise aficionado, but NCL seemed like a perfectly good cruise line to me (my only other experience is Carnival). We had a pleasant time and things were very nice. My husband wasn't impress with the food in the main dining room but we used the 'anytime dining' feature and had some very good meals in the different restaurants. The shore excursions I booked through NCL were wonderful. The cabins were very nice. There was plenty to do on board, good shows, etc.

We are taking HAL to the Baltics this summer because it fit better into our vacation schedule. Otherwise, I wouldn't hesitate to take NCL again.

RCCL Jewel of the Seas 7/28/09 12-night Baltics out of England is $3,049 for balcony. 3rd or 4th person rate is $1,299.

NCL Norwegian Jewel’s 8/2/09 12-night Baltics out of England is $2,099 for balcony. 3rd or 4th person is $199. NCL also gives $175 OBC per room.

The diff. amounts to $4,275 for a family of 4. The difference between the two lines’ oceanview and inside are also large.

Itinerary are very similar. Only difference being RCCL does Oslo in lieu of Berlin.

Can anyone make sense of this? Is this normal? Celebrity and Princess are more in line with NCL although not quite as affordable.

What is up with RCCL? We found NCL Jewel Baltics on August 26 for 4 in a balcony for $3800 and RCCL was double :confused:. The inside on NCL was $3100. HAL had a great price too.

When I booked my RCCL cruise on Jewel of the Seas back in September it was lot cheaper than todays prices and they were competive with the other lines and P&O being dearer. The August cruises on Jewel of theSeas from Harwich have now sold out and maybe because they were selling well RCCL thought they could put the price up.

• 1 month later...

RCCL is not worth that huge price difference. NCL will try and get you to spend as much money as possible on the cruise, so expect to be nickle and dimed. With some the money you save, expect to use that on their specialty restaurants. NCL charges more for tipping. Also, NCL does not have many quad balcony cabins so book those as early as possible.

Our family of four went to the Baltics last June on NCL Jewel. We had a wonderful time, and chose this ship because it was more economical. I would just caution you that their balcony rooms are not very big at all and it would be very tight to fit a family of four. My parents had a balcony room. We opted for a mini suite for a small price difference and were very glad that we did especially for such a long cruise.

Check out the prices of Princess Baltic cruises out of Copenhagen. We just booked a 10 night cruise in an outside cabin (obstructed) for a couple dollars over $1000/pp. Balconies were only about $400 more. Princess has great entertainment and Anytime dining - which is great for port intensive cruises. This will be our 30th cruise, so I am not a Princess "cheerleader", we cruise all lines.

Archived