Why did I even bother checking out the price?

Catrin

Uggg....

After reading many many posts about Carnival NOT giving OBC for reductions after final payment..... reality of the whole thing finally hit ME.

I checked the prices today for our upcoming April Cruise. The prices are $480.00 less than what we paid... even after our two reductions.

But, as we know... Carnival wouldn't budge... but I HAD to TRY.

What was my incentive for booking early?? NONE!!

What was my incentive for being loyal to Carnival? NONE!

The really NICE rep kept trying to sell me the idea of the "Early Saver Program" for our next cruise... what does that have to do with THIS ONE - that I was not given an option for?

I am not angry, or even frustrated. It is what it is. Just knowing however, that the cabin RIGHT NEXT TO MINE is open for so much less than we are paying makes me wish I had waited until the last minute as well.

(I just wished they had grandfathered the Early Saver Program in for those who booked with more than 6 mths out!).

Thanks for letting me vent, I feel better.... and BTW>> cannot wait for our cruise no matter what we paid!

Catrin

You do know you can get a upgrade to whatever cabin is open at the higher price right?? I would have kept checking and settled for a upgrade. Are you in some cabin like a 9A wrap you didnt want to give up?

We are in an 8I on the Pride. We had booked this as an 8C before they changed the categories. Now, you can book an 8A, and get the upgrade to an 8I.... which the entire time before the penalty, was never offered.

Nowhere to go, but a suite... :)

Catrin

Uggg....

(I just wished they had grandfathered the Early Saver Program in for those who booked with more than 6 mths out!).

Catrin

Actually , if I understand your comment , carnival did grandfather in cruises booked out in the future, Different times based on days of the cruise. 7 days or more at least 5 months , but you had to ask to be changed over to the program as I did

Actually , if I understand your comment , carnival did grandfather in cruises booked out in the future, Different times based on days of the cruise. 7 days or more at least 5 months , but you had to ask to be changed over to the program as I did

Thanks for saying this....

and good for you to be so smart to have them change it for you!! :)

Catrin

I know how you feel, but I look at it this way, if I was booking a normal balcony cabin, I would feel jilted, but my September cruise price went down $356. Now, I booked a Spa Suite (Cat 11) on the Splendor. There are only four cabins in that category and I didn't want to wait until the price went down or I got a better deal. I'm going to be turning 40 ont he Splendor in September and I wanted to send my 30's off witha bang, thus, a spa suite. I booked early and there were three suites left at more than a year out. There are two suites left and it is 7 months out. I could have waited, but as I said, I didn't want to chance it...

Yes, it would be nice if they lowered the price, as it will be cruise #8 and seven of those cruises will be within a 2.75 year span, so yes, I wish I could get the price reduction......

Our PVP actually called us when the Early Saver Program came into effect. She wanted to know if we would like to "convert" our existing booking to the ESP (and get all the price changes) or keep what we had without any price change guarantee. Once we confirmed from our work places that our vacation times were approved, we converted to the ESP and saved a LOT of money ($350). Now, should the prices drop further, we will have an opportunity to save even more. We get cruise insurance, so our deposit/etc., will be covered in the event something unavoidable occurs and we have to cancel within the penalty period.

Like Misguidedangel, we booked a specific category room (Cat 11 aft wrap balcony) on the Spirit, of which there are a limited amount. We booked a year out and "literally lucked out" when it came to booking this room (got the only one available at the time). We had heard a lot of great things about the aft wrap balconies and wanted to try one out. We are also going to be cruising with friends and will now be able to have them "over for cocktails," so to speak...lol.....to unwind after a days worth of actvities/excursions or to just watch our departures from the ports we have been to....or to just sit back, relax and watch the ships wake. :)

Early Saver Program is NOT the way to go. We booked a year in advance on this program and have been told no twice with over 10 months till sail date. All it does is guarantee to Carnival that you won't book and cancel because you will lose your $250 pp deposit. Even though they sell it as best possible price until 2 days before you sail, they do not honor it. At least that is for our group anyways.

I didn't think groups could do early saver...I thought the group rates were locked in from day one?:confused:

http://www.bookccl.com/earlysaver/faqs.asp

Is Early Saver available in Groups?

Yes. The program is available on a restricted to berth basis only (requiring names and full, non-refundable per person deposit). Tour conductor credits are available at 1 for 15. You have the option to buy up the fare by the amount of Fun Points on your group or you can book the standard Early Saver fare without amenities. In automation look for the key words “supports amenities” to book Early Saver with Fun Points or “does not support amenities” to book without. Price protection will only apply to group space booked under the Early Saver program.

Early Saver Program is NOT the way to go. We booked a year in advance on this program and have been told no twice with over 10 months till sail date. All it does is guarantee to Carnival that you won't book and cancel because you will lose your $250 pp deposit. Even though they sell it as best possible price until 2 days before you sail, they do not honor it. At least that is for our group anyways.

Please give more explanation of what the situation was.

You need to call Carnival again as this is not how the program works. Are you dealing directly with Carnival or a TA? As far as losing your $250 that is not true. You can cancel any time before your normal penalty phase and yes you will be charged a $50pp cancellation fee BUT the remainder of the deposit can be applied to a future cruise within a year. What was the reason you were told no for the price adjustment? Something is missing here as many people myself included have cruises booked under this program and have had no problem at all getting reductions when they were published rates on Carnival's website.

Or wait until the last minute and book........

It sounds like this is the way to go. I think the economy has people pulling back their Vacation dollars and so Cruise Ships are not filling up as much as before. Some of those last minute deals are going to be nice. :)

OK, so I just called and I talked to one person who said OK, Let me take a look, put me on hold and transfered me to someone who forced me to hang up and call back, couldn't transfer me and wouldn't help me because she is only supposed to help people who speak Spanish even though she also spoke English. Since my Spanish is limited to "Uno serveca pour favor" she wouldn't help me. I think it is ridiculous that she couldn't help me or at least transfer me to someone rather than forcing me to call back and wait again. ANYWAY

So they will not honor the ESP for me even though I booked 7 months out.

Hi everyone. I'm a little confused about the early saver plan. I booked about a year and 1/2 in advance. I cruise on the liberty 4/26/2010. I booked through a PVP. I paid the $250pp deposit and locked in my cabin #2354 (midship on the Main deck). Hearing about the one day price drop, I looked on Carnival's website and they're showing the 4C category inside cabins at an early saver rate of $529pp. I paid $669.

I don't know if my PVP booked me at early saver rates. Can you change your price once you've booked? Should I just email him and ask? I don't know how any of this works. I was planning on paying off my cruise in a few weeks. If I pay it off and the price continues to drop, will I lose that money or will it go to an onboard credit?

Please help this naieve virgin cruiser. :(

It sounds like this is the way to go. I think the economy has people pulling back their Vacation dollars and so Cruise Ships are not filling up as much as before. Some of those last minute deals are going to be nice. :)

If you book Early Saver you would be able to take advantage of those last min deals as well. The problem with booking last min for some is

Getting time off from work last min

Flying last min will give your fewer flight option and often higher rates

The same with pre or post cruise hotels

If you live close to port, retired or have a flexible schedule, it makes sense to wait until the last min.

Hi everyone. I'm a little confused about the early saver plan. I booked about a year and 1/2 in advance. I cruise on the liberty 4/26/2010. I booked through a PVP. I paid the $250pp deposit and locked in my cabin #2354 (midship on the Main deck). Hearing about the one day price drop, I looked on Carnival's website and they're showing the 4C category inside cabins at an early saver rate of $529pp. I paid $669.

I don't know if my PVP booked me at early saver rates. Can you change your price once you've booked? Should I just email him and ask? I don't know how any of this works. I was planning on paying off my cruise in a few weeks. If I pay it off and the price continues to drop, will I lose that money or will it go to an onboard credit?

The ES program just started a month ago, so your PVP didnt sign you up for that. You can switch over to the program if you like.

I wouldnt pay off the cruise this early, but thats just me. With the early saver program any price reductions will come off your final payment amount. If you did pay your cruise off early with a credit card, they would just issue a refund to that card. After the official Carnival final payment date, you would get OBC up until 2 day prior to sailing, under the Early Saver program.

You have to tell your PVP if you want to change to the early saver rate. Once you change, you cannot move down a category or any changes without a $50 pp fee, so you are pretty much locked in. Also, if you change dates, you have to rebook within a year or lose all your deposit.

The upside is you can get price drops up until you cruise.

PS Im pretty sure you are not booked early saver as these rates only started in January.

Thanks for the replies! :)

I don't want to change my cabin because I really like the location. I have no intention of changing anything about my cruise (unless my b/f and I break up :eek: then I'll have to find a new guy to come with me!!! LOL) I'll email my PVP and ask him for the change.

One last question...do they automatically lock in the lowest rate for you or is it something you have to call in and have them do manually?

Archived