Tapu Dive o.k. for Beginners?

scotlady

Hi, many people have recommended the Tapu dive on Bora Bora. We will be certified, but probably only one to two dives under our belts. Is the Tapu dive o.k. for beginners? Just want to be sure before we book.
Actually, certification entails that you have at least 4 dives under your belts. It also should entail that you are competent enough to dive a dive like the Tapu dive, but unfortunately not all instructors train to the same high standards. Also, not all divers with one or two post-certification dives under their belts have the same level of competence.

If by the time you've been certified and have done one or two dives post-certification, you're comfortable with (1) maintaining neutral buoyancy throughout a dive, (2) clearing your ears on descent, (3) and keeping an eye on your depth, remaining air pressure, and dive time, there's no reason why you couldn't make the Tapu dive. It states that they max out at 50', the currents tend to be light, and the water will be warm and clear. On the other hand, if you still require close watch from an instructor in order to be safe, i.e. "hand holding", you might want to consult with the PG dive staff to ensure that a semi-private DM or instructor will be available to watch over you, rather than just act as a guide for you to follow.

Tapu was only my 7th open water dive as a certified diver. It was an easy and very enjoyable dive. I am however, very comfortable and confident in the water. Be prepared for big sharks... We had at least 3-4 big (up to 10 foot) lemon sharks following us around like puppy dogs. :D

While my wife and I are experienced divers, we think that Tapu should not pose an inordinate challenge to novices. It is much like our first post-certification tropical dives in the Carribean 35 years ago. However,with much more diverse marine life with previously mentioned sharks.

Ditto all the above. Ihave done Tapu twice, as long as you are comfortable in the water you should be OK. Check in with the dive staff when you get on board and they will take care of you.

The lemon sharks look huge under water!

I got out my dive log to respond to another thread and thought I would pass on my entry for Tapu

Conditions perfect (no mention of surge, seas or current) - water temp 82 - max depth 70 - vis 100 (best vis of all dives) - BT 60 min.

4 divers on boat with Pierre (guide) - nice dive - a big lemon shark - some black tips - lots of tropicals.

To summarize my entry - a nice dive with no apparent concerns for beginners. While 70 feet is not an extreme depth, it was one of the deeper dives off the PG.

Archived