Upgrades and Upsells

Brennbob

I know there are alot of threads here about Upsells and such, but I am booked in an Outside cabin F on deck 4 and am really hoping to get a Balcony room either through the Upsell Fairy or by calling for an Upgrade. I was wondering if the week before we sail if we have not gotten an Upsell call and there are Balcony rooms left can I call and request an Upgrade. Right now there are still a lot of balconies for my April 11th date on the Star and am hoping for the best. We would have booked a balcony to begin with but we were worried about our toddler, but as we get closer to the date we really want a balcony.:D One more thing, do they ever send the Upsell Fairy to Outside cabins-balconies. Thanks in advance for you replys.:)

Do you mind if I ask how much more you paid for that, and also how many days before your cruise did you do this. Thanks for the quick reply.:D

No problem - ask away! I made the call on Monday, one week before our cruise. They called back on Tuesday with the offer. It was $100 for the 4 day cruise. Insurance went up, so the total was around $150.

Enjoy the Star; we sure did!

Thank you so much I think I will do that to. I am going to keep checking the availability and if there are still balconies left the week of I am going to call. I hope that we are lucky like you, I would really love to suprise my DH with a balcony he really wants one bad. Thanks again for your quick reply.

Just keep in mind, an upgrade is where the line moves you to a higher category of cabin but there's no charge. The upsell is when you pay for that higher category. And usually, an upgrade stays within the same kind of cabin (inside to inside, not inside to OV or balcony), whereas an upsell is dependent upon what you're willing to pay and what's available. The number of the cabins in the category you're interested in will help determine how much or little they (NCL) is willing to take.

Just keep in mind, an upgrade is where the line moves you to a higher category of cabin but there's no charge. The upsell is when you pay for that higher category. And usually, an upgrade stays within the same kind of cabin (inside to inside, not inside to OV or balcony), whereas an upsell is dependent upon what you're willing to pay and what's available. The number of the cabins in the category you're interested in will help determine how much or little they (NCL) is willing to take.

Is there a way to find out exactly how many cabins in a certain class are empty, or do you just go by the "Unavailable" when you select your actual cruise?

Bruce

From what I know about upsells:

about 2 weeks out the cabins are discounted at about 30%

If you wait and call them back at 1 week out, the cabins drop to about 50% off, that's a great deal! The only problem is they might not have a cabin in the Cat. you are looking at. gl:)

There really is not a way to find out about available cabins, unless you call.

I have been on the website and it has said no availability in a certain catorgory but when I called they had some available from their end.

From what I know about upsells:

about 2 weeks out the cabins are discounted at about 30%

If you wait and call them back at 1 week out, the cabins drop to about 50% off, that's a great deal! The only problem is they might not have a cabin in the Cat. you are looking at. gl:)

There really is not a way to find out about available cabins, unless you call.

I have been on the website and it has said no availability in a certain catorgory but when I called they had some available from their end.

Hey, Suni! I love your avatar.:) I've been looking for a picture of the clock like that with the sign below. Do you have one that you would be willing to share or know where I could find it? Thanks!

I know there are alot of threads here about Upsells and such, but I am booked in an Outside cabin F on deck 4 and am really hoping to get a Balcony room either through the Upsell Fairy or by calling for an Upgrade. I was wondering if the week before we sail if we have not gotten an Upsell call and there are Balcony rooms left can I call and request an Upgrade. Right now there are still a lot of balconies for my April 11th date on the Star and am hoping for the best. We would have booked a balcony to begin with but we were worried about our toddler, but as we get closer to the date we really want a balcony.:D One more thing, do they ever send the Upsell Fairy to Outside cabins-balconies. Thanks in advance for you replys.:)

One thing of importance. Did you book direct through NCL or through a travel agent?

Thanks so much!!! So basically if you're in a balcony on let's say - deck 6 and got a call for an upgrade - you'd still have a balcony but it would be on a different deck or location.

I got a good deal on a mini-suite and unless there's a HUGE discount for an upsell - I think I'll stay where I am. ;-)

g

I take this makes a difference ? I booked thru a big box online site, does that mean I'm outta luck?

Thanks,

Bruce

It means that YOU cannot call NCL at all about it your TA has to since they "OWN" the reservation. NCL will not discuss anything about it with you at all.

You can certainly call your TA and see if they are willing to do it for you. Some are great others are awful.

It means that YOU cannot call NCL at all about it your TA has to since they "OWN" the reservation. NCL will not discuss anything about it with you at all.

You can certainly call your TA and see if they are willing to do it for you. Some are great others are awful.

So does that mean that if I booked through Amex, then NCL will not call me directly for an upsell, they will contact Amex?

I got an upgrade from a low inside to a low oceanview on Disney years ago. While it may USUALLY be from low in a specific category to higher within that specific category, being upgraded outside of the category IS possible. :D

We recently attempted to move from adjoining balconies (one for DH and me and one for 2 kids) to one courtyard villa. We were about 40 days prior to sailing. It would have been about $1500 more than the cost of two balconies. Our travel agent, who is wonderful, called NCL and they said that we could move BUT in addition to the $1500, we would be charged a penalty for one of our balcony rooms (as if we had simply cancelled) and would lose the OBC for both rooms. Although we've cruised a number of times, we had never attempted to change before. Does this sound typical? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

We recently attempted to move from adjoining balconies (one for DH and me and one for 2 kids) to one courtyard villa. We were about 40 days prior to sailing. It would have been about $1500 more than the cost of two balconies. Our travel agent, who is wonderful, called NCL and they said that we could move BUT in addition to the $1500, we would be charged a penalty for one of our balcony rooms (as if we had simply cancelled) and would lose the OBC for both rooms. Although we've cruised a number of times, we had never attempted to change before. Does this sound typical? Thanks in advance for your opinions.

That is exactly what happen to us. We had to pay the penalty fee to cancel our other cabin. There is no way out of this unless you move to the GV. My cancellation fee wasn't too bad because we cancelled the inside we had.

Do it!!! As much as it bothered me to eat the cancellation fee, in the end we would not change a thing!

sometimes they don't seem to make wise business decisions... you aren't downgrading, you are upgrading and paying more... but they don't want to let you keep your OBC... have seen it happen... have seen their most expensive cabins sit empty and then they take cheaper fares at the last minute to make something. Their business, their money I suppose.

Archived