Room options for family of 4 - RCL FOS

courtneyMC

I just want to be sure I have thought thru the possibilities.

Background- family of 4, planning for 2010 spring break. DS will be 11, DD 8, so a room that technically sleeps 4 but only has a pull out couch is not an option. We need a bed for us and separate beds for each of the kids so a pull out and pull down bunk or two pull down bunks.

It appears that there are no balcony rooms that fit that bill except for the 4(?) family ocean view rooms, is that correct? I don't know our spring break dates yet but checked a couple weeks I thought it could be and those appear to be gone already. Same with the Family Interior rooms.

Does a Junior Suite really only sleep 4 with a pull out couch, no pullman bunk?? Is it just me or is that dumb not to have a 4th bed option in a jr. suite?? :confused:

That leaves us with the following options. 2 balconies are out of the budget I think. :

-Adjoining promenade if can get them.

-I am assuming by the time I know the dates (after march 10 school board meeting I hope!) those 2 (?) rooms that have balcony connected to interior will be gone too...

-Across the hall balcony/interior with a baby monitor (I know I'm paranoid, but I just can't see leaving them alone all night and not be concerned)

-Adjoining regular interior rooms

-side by side interior rooms with baby monitor if not connecting.

Even though there are several that look like they technically sleep 4, I can't stomach the thought of an interior room for the 4 of us for a week, that would not be relaxing!

Am I missing anything else I could look at?

thanks!

The Family Oceanviews and Family Insides require a minimum of 5 people to book and they don't show up online as a result. Unless they remove the minimum booking requirement, they aren't an option for your family.

If you really want a junior suite, put the kids in the regular bed (it splits into 2 twins) and you and your husband sleep on the pull out couch that is designed for 2 people.

I can't help you much with rooms with four beds, but as far as booking goes...RCI usually allows you to put your deposit money towards another cruise as long as you are not in the penalty phase. When we booked our upcoming cruise, I paid the deposit the first of February and asked what would happen if we changed our mind. Our PVP said we could apply the money to any other RCI cruise up until the final payment date. So you could probably go ahead and book the 2010 cruise and try to get the rooms you want, then if spring break dates change before the penalty phase, you can move to another cruise using the money you already put down. You may not get the rooms you want if you have to change, but at least you could try to get rooms you want now.

I would call RCI and ask about this to be sure. I just know I was told we could pick another cruise and apply the money up until final payment date.

I have wondered about those family insides and OV rooms! We decided to book two OV rooms side by side. A balcony with an inside across the hall would be nice too. At least you would have two bathrooms. I can't even imagine only having one bathroom with four people! Of course, I have a preteen who needs to shower constantly.

I'd do the 2 rooms, either connecting, side by side, or across the hall. (The hallways are narrow--the kids will be closer to you on the ship than they probably are in your own house!!!)

That way, you get some privacy, and the kids have their own space for messes, and their own bathroom. Nice!

The whole point of a JS is the space---if you start putting beds everywhere, then there goes the luxury factor!

Last Nov. we sailed on freedom. We originally were going to get a junior suite and then decided to go with two prom. rooms. It worked great. My daughters, 5 and 10 had their own room, we just left the door open the whole time. The second bathroom was wonderful. Our two rooms ended up costing just a little bit more then my dads, who had a balcony. The girls really liked being able to look out over the promenade and watching the activity. Hope this helps

We are booked on the 4/4/10 FOS cruise. Our boys will be 10 and 8. We have booked adjoining interior rooms. It was just $300 more to get the two rooms rather than all of us in one room. We will have some room to spread out and all of my boys can have one bathroom and I can have the other one!

Archived