Room SAfes on Grandeur OTS

kicker

While reading some other posts I was just reminded of the room safes on Grandeur - they can only be opened with a card having a magnetic strip (you program it to accept only that one card). The card doesn't have to be a credit card, though. We used a AAA card - it worked fine. The worry of using a credit card is carrying it with you always and possibly losing it. AAA cards, or even expired gift cards, should work just as well.

Perhaps fellow cruisers can add comments - I'm not sure what other ships have safes like this. Last year on Liberty OTS I think it was a choice of combination or card swipe - we chose combination. The Grandeur offers no choice - only the card swipe.

Thanks. Great info. I will be on Grandeur in March (5th time on her) and I did not know that. In the past I have used my credit card and I agree with you. Don't like to carry that one around all day. I will use my AAA card this trip. Sea Pass works, but don't use that as not secure. Thanks again---shows---you can always learn. :D

Hotel key cards do not work! Library cards, AAA cards (I used my EAA membership card), gifts cards, credit cards, almost anything else with a mag strip will work, but the hotel room key cards do NOT work.

PS You can use your Sea Pass card, but if you lose it, when they give you a new one, it is not the same digital encoding and will not open your safe.

Archived