Does the Captain Know? Does He Get Reports?

sail7seas

One of those traditions has always been the evening reports to the Captain. All department heads are required...to make a verbal report to the Captain that esentially says "all is well". Only matters of a critical nature were reported to the Captain at this time. No nickel & dime stuff.....
To me, the bolded words are crux of the matter. Issues that affect the operation or safety of the ship are routinely discussed daily or more frequently...not a few cabins without air conditioning.

Any chief officer, no matter industry, church, or military, knows what is happening within his area of responsibility. I knew the number of aircraft 'on the line' [capable of flying] and the number off line at any given time, but damn if I knew, or needed to know to execute my duties, exactly whether the problem was propulsion, avionics, armaments or navigation.

Those with the a/c problem would have wanted me to know exactly what each problem each aircraft experience and not tend to my duties, which were to fulfill the assigned mission while minimizing casualties.

I DO NOT EVER EXPECT the Captain should become involved in pax resolutions of these matters. Of course, the Captain should never be spoken to with disrespect and there is no reason for him to subject himself to pax anger. That is not what I suggest by my question. I certainly do not expect any Captain to be responsible for compensation discussions. I think you extended my question to places 'I didn't go'.

I'm asking about how much info about malfunctioning mechanical issues the Captain is advised of. That is all. I wasn't asking if he should be abused or involved in areas that can and should be handled by others.

I guess I was the one who extended your question to places you didn't go - sorry, I didn't mean to.

When I read someone say they wanted to speak to the Captain in order to request a full refund of their cruise - it was clear to me why he would not want to speak to that passenger. I also agree the Captain should not be treated rudely or with disrespect.

The point I was trying (unsuccessfully) to make is that I believe he is doing everything in his power to ensure the safety and comfort of his guests, berating him (or any other Officer) is not the way to handle a problem, IMO.

Being one of "those" with the A/C problem I can assure everyone the last thing I wanted on the Maasdam was to prevent the Captain from doing his assigned duties. I wouldn't want him to run the risk of not minimalizing our casualties !!!!!!!!!!!

I'm always in awe of those who have the powers of ESP...............

I can assure everyone the last thing I wanted on the Maasdam was to prevent the Captain from doing his assigned duties. I wouldn't want him to run the risk of not minimalizing our casualties !!!!!!!!!!! I'm always in awe of those who have the powers of ESP...............
John, I can see by your post the tack you took...how to win friends and influence people [and get things done] through sarcasm.

Well Iknick sometimes I believe sarcasm is a good way to stop the bloviating.
So now I'm pompus and boastful. I would say you have violated the rules of the board with such a personal attack and hope the 'hosts' will take notice.

So now I'm pompus and boastful. I would say you have violated the rules of the board with such a personal attack and hope the 'hosts' will take notice.

Iknick-

You really should be able to take what you dish to the rest of us.

Fondly,

The Drama Queen:cool:

I'm sure the hosts will take whatever action is needed, if any.

Complaining to the hosts about a percieved attack should be about equal to complaining to the Captain about no A/C for a week. Maybe they have better things to do? There have been many snide comments made about the "complainers " on the Maasdam cruise. We didn't ask for any to be pulled.

Maybe I haven't made any friends or influenced anybody by sarcasm, but I sure feel alot better.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Everybody !!!!!! ;)

I want to thank every one of the Masdam passengers that complained about the a/c problems. Hopefully your complaints will help to make my April cruise a little cooler ;)

I would be very upset if I had paid over $5,000 for a room with no a/c and no visible attempts at repair/restitution.

I thought part of these boards were to help inform others.

Iknick-You really should be able to take what you dish to the rest of us. Fondly, The Drama Queen
I've never called you names. I have and will continue to disagree with many of the 'woe is me' opinions, just as you can disagree with my viewpoints. I try to stay with the facts and not bring into the discussion extraneous emotional viewpoints. It is beyond me why anyone wants to become personal. What have you gained?

There are rules of the road, and when they're violated, they should either be enforced or removed. Cruise Critics claims to have such rules.

I am cracking up here. I'm sorry lknick, I find this response to John's post extremely funny as I don't see where he's violated anything. As it was mentioned.. if you dish it out (which you did).. you need to be able to take it too. Honestly... Not to attack you but I'm to the point of putting you on my "ignore" list because I think you like to stir the pot too much.

I am cracking up here. I'm sorry lknick, I find this response to John's post extremely funny as I don't see where he's violated anything. As it was mentioned.. if you dish it out (which you did).. you need to be able to take it too. Honestly... Not to attack you but I'm to the point of putting you on my "ignore" list because I think you like to stir the pot too much.

Maureen-

I agree with you totally. He does seem to be so argumentative on any issue...doesn't seem to matter what people are commenting on. "lknick" called me narcissist just last week for my relaying a comment overheard about a passenger who was so upset he wanted a full refund. In that instance I too felt personally attacked. I have read a lot on these boards over the last few months but did not begin posting until after the "sauna" cruise. I was new enough that I did not realize certain people must have no life but to sit on their computer and "stir the pot" just to get a rise out of people. It is offensive and I think we all should not continue to play into his hand.

As you can see, there is overwhelming support for those of us that endured those 10 days. And for that, I thank you folks for speaking out in support. Hopefully Holland America will make it right.:rolleyes:

Yes, he does.

I've talked a few times with hotel managers on HAL ships. They always lament that the ships sail full. In the "good old days" ships always had four or five empty cabins available to be used for plumbing & air conditioning emergancies.

Sometimes a mechanical problem can only be fixed in dry dock. Most times HAL will take that cabin out of inventory until the problem is fixed.

I was new enough that I did not realize certain people must have no life but to sit on their computer and "stir the pot" just to get a rise out of people. It is offensive and I think we all should not continue to play into his hand.
Now that's interesting, for I do have a job lecturing, writing, and consulting although I'm way beyond the age people are expected to work. I just find this kind of anonymous attack annoying, especially as the presentation of the a/c problem was so personalized.

There is nothing personal about my posts. I have never been malicious in my comments…never have I called a person a name except to comment on what is obvious to me, but I do think some opinions must be called clarified with facts.

And yes, the statement I made was for a person who thinks they're so important that the world must stop for them. If that was not you, well I'm sorry.

Just a question: how many of you have helped others out by answering specific questions? A quick review of the posting habits of those who don’t like my style shows few but you are quick to promulgate an opinion.

And yes, if they are rules, they should be consistently enforced.

Now the question Sail posted was how much does the ship's captain know about the detail operation of his ship. The question, I believe has been fully answered and now the string has turned personal. What is gained?

I know you're opinion rules, but come on, that's way over the top.

The CAPTAIN on the 11/06/ 2004 VOLENDAM seemed to be very concerned about every thing on his vessel. I agree with Peggy Sue that we were not really a match with the ship but there was nothing wrong with the cruise over all and our Cruise Critic Pals made it a really good cruise. I personaly would have have enjoyed an A C problem as dlh likes 58 degrees and i prefer 80. The VOLENDAM is beutiful and well run, just a bit sedate.

Archived