Keep reading there are no chairs around the pool!!

lisid

I keep reading that it is next to impossible to get a chair around the pool unless you're up at 7a.m.......we are NOT early risers....don't these chair hogs ever get up to eat????we'd be joining the pool areound 12 or so..will we have a shot at a lounge chair?? If not, how can we tan? Are there places to lay your towel???:eek:

(Majesty july 2009)

I keep reading that it is next to impossible to get a chair around the pool unless you're up at 7a.m.......we are NOT early risers....don't these chair hogs ever get up to eat????we'd be joining the pool areound 12 or so..will we have a shot at a lounge chair?? If not, how can we tan? Are there places to lay your towel???:eek:

(Majesty july 2009)

If you are after a front row, it may be difficult. If you're after finding a lounger back a little (or even up a deck) you'll probably be OK

I would hate being around the pool I avoid them at all costs, hot, noisy, awful places.

There are several sun desks all with lounge chairs and some very private. Besides the chair hogs are not the ones IN the chairs they are the ones saving chairs with personal items. they come out at 7 am put down some junk on chairs and then show up at noon or two or never and expect the chair to be waiting for them.

On a previous cruise, I can't remember exactly which one...I know it wasn't Alaska:p, we had to resort to chairs at the upper deck bar. We ordered a drink, sat at an empty table, and put our legs up on the other chairs. Still got a tan and it wasn't uncomfortable.:)

There are many other places around the ship with lounge chairs, not just around the pool. The pool area is the first to fill up. We never use the loungers by the pool. We usually go one deck up, to the area just above the pool, and look out over the beautiful blue ocean.

" and look out over the beautful blue ocean..." Thanks for the memories! :):)

I never once got a lounge chair by the pool or around the pool or around the deck. Not once in 7 days! I got pretty annoyed. One day I found some chairs under this tunnel like thing and I draggged the chair out a little and sat there under the tunnel. Ha! Ha! It was on the Dawn. You wouldn't believe that by the time I came out to walk around there were people or stuff on EVERY lounge chair and it was there all day. That was the one thing that really ticked me off.:D

Yep.. you have been reading the truth. I can't stand the "chair hogs" (I think thats what they are called..the ones who put something in a chair to save it then go have a 2 hour breakfast) and we don't even use the pool when on a cruise. Really though, part of the problem is you have 2000+ pax trying to use a small area on the ship. I am sure there are a lot of people though, like us, who you don't have to worry about taking up the space. Maybe with the new big ships they have come up with some idea or some way to allow as many pax as want to the ability to lay out by the pool. I completely understand why people want to do this, it just isn't our thing. How could I be laying out by the pool when there is a slot machine close at hand. OH WOW... they should put slot machines out by the pool..then I might actually come back home with a tan one of these days.. 8-)

(Majesty july 2009)

The Majesty pool area is so small there aren't lounge chairs around the pool unless things have changed since I was last on her.

a couple of points the area around the pool on most ships is small. But they have other areas with chairs that I have ALWAYS been able to find a chair without much problem on both the Dawn and the Majesty.

also I must tell you that 90% of the time I CAN find a chair by the pool. It may take moving some to get two together but most of the time(and I am by no means an early riser I am on vacation) I get up before my wife go scouts out for a few minutes and have two chairs...side by side by the pool.

Never had a problem on the Dawn last year getting two loungers. DH and I are early risers and were on the pool deck by 8:45 and yes, there were some chairs already being "held" for future use but we did find loungers. What was particularly annoying was one couple who were "holding" 10 loungers for their friends - long story short, someone complained to NCL deck staff and an officer quietly spoke to the "hoggers" and had them remove towels, etc from the other 10 loungers. Needless to say there were some unhappy "friends" when they came on deck an hour later and found no loungers....the offending couple complained loudly and was overheard to say they would never sail NCL again, at which point the people sitting in their immediate vicinity clapped!

We're at the pool on sea days from 8:45-11:30 or so (DH is very fair and cannot take too much sun) and then hang out on our balcony. We love the early morning time at the pool - it's quiet, relaxing and not crowded.

I will have a look around at the chairs that only have a towel on them. Pick the one I want and if no one comes in a few minutes, I take it, - and put the towel on the next chair....it is usually only used by a "tanning" novel. Then I say to the people around the chair..." I will borrow this until someone shows up and then they can have it back" -I am very polite.

Guess what! No one has ever shown up in the hour or so that I was there (or has the nerve to ask for the chair)

If everyone just caught on to the fact that you use them then move on, there would be lots of chairs, everywhere.

Hello..DH and I are usually at poolside around 7am, put towels on two chairs near the pool, grab a quick (and I mean 20 minutes) breakfast and head back to the pool. We wait for the sun, tan, take a quick dip, read. DH usually leaves around 11 or 11:30, gives up "his" lounger, I stay and leave around 12 or 1 pm. We find this works well for us and leaving the pool at noon or so, gives others a chance for a poolside lounger.

Helen

I read a lot of people complaining about Chair Hogs on every Cruise Line. It's not the fault of Chair Hogs. Everyone wants a chair by the pool. If you got a chair by the pool you wouldn't want to give it up. Please don't blame the Pool Hogs. They just wanna sit next to the pool.

The blame needs to be placed squarely on the heads of the Cruise Lines. They are at fault. They are the ones who dropped the ball. They need to put more chairs near the dang pool. Figure it out.

Have a second tier.

Make the pool bigger.

Get rid of the Restaurants, put in more pools.

Have thinner lounge chairs.

Suspend some chairs from those big smoke stacks.

Invest in virtual pools.

Make the pool walls clear, then let people sit near the pool on the deck below.

Put a pool in every Stateroom.

Have the big ship pull a little ship with a pool and plenty of deck chairs.

Where there's a will there's a way. The Cruise Lines just are not listening.

I was on the Dawn in January and chair hogs were much less of a problem.,

They give you your beach/pool towels in the cabin and you are responsible for returning it by the end of the cruise. People are far less likely to leave towels behind.

When they used to have unlimted towels by the pool, people would claim chairs and leave them empty for hours.

These threads always amaze me. Forget chair hogs. There are 1000s onboard any ship and maybe a 100 loungers poolside. Getting a lounger by the pool is like getting a parking space by the entrance to a mall on black Friday.

Finding a lounger on one of the decks to enjoy the sun and sea is never a problem.

These threads always amaze me. Forget chair hogs. There are 1000s onboard any ship and maybe a 100 loungers poolside. Getting a lounger by the pool is like getting a parking space by the entrance to a mall on black Friday.

Finding a lounger on one of the decks to enjoy the sun and sea is never a problem.

Logic overload. ;)

I read a lot of people complaining about Chair Hogs on every Cruise Line. It's not the fault of Chair Hogs. Everyone wants a chair by the pool. If you got a chair by the pool you wouldn't want to give it up. Please don't blame the Pool Hogs. They just wanna sit next to the pool.

The blame needs to be placed squarely on the heads of the Cruise Lines. They are at fault. They are the ones who dropped the ball. They need to put more chairs near the dang pool. Figure it out.

Have a second tier.

Make the pool bigger.

Invest in virtual pools.

One more...

Bunk-Lounge Chairs (think bunkbeds)

Have a second tier.

Make the pool bigger.

Invest in virtual pools.

you almost had me going there for a minute;)

(Majesty july 2009)

If you don't necessarily have to be by the pool area, there is a spot on the aft of deck 8 (by ping pong table ) that has lounge chairs and was quiet and relaxing. Not as crowded as the sun deck. Hope you have a great cruise. We did our first one on the Majesty and it hooked us to cruising for life. Will miss her when she leaves the fleet and hope they bring another NCL ship into Charleston.

Archived