Alaska - Statendam - June 14th

dizzy1949

We're first timers to Alaska and first timers on HAL. I assume, like other cruise lines, that they have tour presentations on board. Is that correct? Our travel agent gave us a book of different tours in the different ports and I really don't want to book anything until we get on board. Sometimes, these tours look great on paper but really aren't that interesting!

If anyone has any info or opinions of any tours, likes or dislikes, would appreciate the input. Thanks and Bon Voyage to everyone! Sue

We're first timers to Alaska and first timers on HAL. I assume, like other cruise lines, that they have tour presentations on board. Is that correct? Our travel agent gave us a book of different tours in the different ports and I really don't want to book anything until we get on board. Sometimes, these tours look great on paper but really aren't that interesting!

If anyone has any info or opinions of any tours, likes or dislikes, would appreciate the input. Thanks and Bon Voyage to everyone! Sue

I would suggest you go to the Alaska forum on this site

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

There's a wealth of information here. I book all of my excursions privately

and they have all been great. l

Have fun

Hi Sue - welcome to your first of many trips to Alaska - trust me, once you go, you'll go back! It is spectacular!!

Be sure to check out Ports of Call - Alaska on this website - lots of great information regarding excursions in port.

And no, definitely do NOT wait to book excursions til you get on the ship. Alaska isn't like the carribean or other warm weather ports, where people normally can find a myriad of options available. The "good" ones in Alaska fill up fast! Its a very port intensive cruise and for us anyway, its all about the scenery, wildlife and culture of the great land.

Peruse the excursion brochure for your ship. Purchase Frommers or Fodor's travel books on Alaska, or Alaska by Cruise Ship and educate yourself. Decide what is important to YOU and your family. What you like, others might not, and visa-versa.

We've sailed there twice (on HAL, natch!) and are planning our third in June of 2010 with a week on land, self guided renting a car. This is a list of the excursions we've done on previous cruises.

Juneau - June 2008 - Whale watching with Harv and Marvs. WOW!! Would highly recommend!! Take the longest tour possible and prepare for the adventure of a lifetime! These guys know their stuff...and their whales! It was an amazing experience! Expensive, but worth it!!!

Juneau - Sept. 2006 - Took the tram (on our own - $25/pp, at the time, I think) to the top of Mt. Roberts, then hiked to the top for several hours. Great, well marked trails - from difficult to quite easy. The views there were spectacular! (But only bother going up if the weather is clear. By the time we came down, it was pouring and kinda misty - almost spooky! - and the views were no where to be found then!) After we came down, we had plenty of time to walk around town (kinda touristy, but interesting), then went back to an almost empty ship, had the hot tubs on the top deck to ourselves. Really great sitting in the nice, warm water, drink in hand, taking in the magnificent scenery with eagles soaring right overhead!

Ketchikan - Sept. 2006 - we went flight seeing with Michelle of Island Wings. Really incredible experience! Landed on a quiet fiord, floated over to a HUGE rock in the middle of the water, and had time to explore, take photos, and drink in the silence. Really nice experience in a float plane - something we had never done before. Again, expensive, but worth it.

Ketchikan - June 2008 - Jeep 4X4/Canoe excursion. This was one excursion we didn't enjoy all that much - we had booked it thru HAL. A 20 person canoe ride over a secluded lake to a pavillion set up with fresh clam chowder, coffee, hot chocolate, smoked salmon, etc., with a short guided walk thru the rainforest, then to our Jeeps. The problem with the jeep was that it was way too rough and crazy a ride to enjoy. Going 50 mph up the side of a mountain on deeply rutted logging trails was no fun - bumping your head, flying around inside left much to be desired and no opportunity for sightseeing. Just wasn't our cup of tea - even though we're accustomed to 4 wheeling on our own, this just didn't cut it. Live and learn...:o

Sitka - Sept. 2006 - Rhino 4X4 excursion - this was a blast and we'd do it again in a heartbeat!! Took a small boat over to an island where we each boarded 2-person Rhino 4X4's - with the guide in the first vehicle. We all had helmets with headsets so we could communicate and hear the guide tell us what we were approaching. Traveled across logging roads (much more sedate than the jeep!) thru all different kinds of terrain - meadows, estuaries, rainforests, etc. out to a black sand beach. We had a snack there of tomatoe soup, smoked salmon and hot cider, and had time to beach comb, hike, etc. Then back the same route - over streams filled with salmon, etc. The boat ride over and back was filled with sightings of sea otters, sea lions, eagles, etc. It was great and we really enjoyed this one!

Sitka - June 2008 - Went sea kayaking - an excursion we booked thru HAL. Was really fun, and would do it again! We took a Zodiac out to a floating kayak dock, got "suited up" in rain gear, had a brief demo of what to do and how to do it, then hopped into our 2-person kayaks - 4 kayaks went with one guide. Our guide was born and raised in Sitka and had an incredible knowledge about the area. He told us all kinds of great information, providing explanations of things on shore and in the water as we glided along. Not strenuous at all and really a great time! We saw lots of giant jellyfish, eagles, sea otters, etc. Enjoyed it very much.

So, as I said earlier, think about what works best for your family and book excursions - either thru HAL or thru private operators - do your homework and you'll know what will or will not work for you. Have a great cruise - enjoy every minute you are in Alaska. It is soooo special!:p

Archived