Cruise newbie, Looking at Pearl, pacific coast in Sept 09

ppwlee

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking of doing our first cruise between Vancouver and Los Angeles in this summer/fall. We found Norwegian Pearl offering this route in Sept but like to get some basic input on the following:

- how kids friendly is this ship? Our daughter will be over 2 yrs old by then

- Do we need to pay equal adult fee for our daughter? In general how does cruise line charge for kids?

- What's a reasonable price range these days for a 5 day cruise trip? We read that NCL offers 3rd to 8th person reduced price. Should we book now or wait?

- Is there such thing as "upgrading" our room when we get on board?

Much appreciated for any input.

Peter

Hello,

My wife and I are thinking of doing our first cruise between Vancouver and Los Angeles in this summer/fall. We found Norwegian Pearl offering this route in Sept but like to get some basic input on the following:

- how kids friendly is this ship? Our daughter will be over 2 yrs old by thenThey have a "Kids Crew" program with different age groups. It is best if the children can go potty on their own...NCL won't help or change diapers. Here is a link to more info on Kids Crew

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FreestyleFamilyFun

- Do we need to pay equal adult fee for our daughter? In general how does cruise line charge for kids?

Kids under two cruise at a substantially reduced fare and certain itineraries offer specials on 3rd and 4th guests in the same stateroom. Infants under six months of age are not eligible for travel on NCL ships.

- What's a reasonable price range these days for a 5 day cruise trip? We read that NCL offers 3rd to 8th person reduced price. Should we book now or wait? can't help you with this one

- Is there such thing as "upgrading" our room when we get on board?

No. Most all sailings sail full, so there is no way to change around. NCL tries hard to sell all high end cabins by "up selling" via the phone to get people to move up. This can create some openings, but all this happens in the last few weeks before the sailing.

Much appreciated for any input.

Peter

Have a great cruise!!

I agree with previous poster about 2 year old and being potty trained helps a lot. you will not be able to have the child in a pool if NOT potty trained at all. no swim diapers etc.

almost always no possibilty of upgrade at the pier if you want an upgrade pay for one before hand or watch for price drops and see if you can upgrade for free, or less at least.

What is the cost? that depends on too many things, there are very few of the cruises you mention so cost tends to reflect that. also cost for the cheapest inside is not going to be cost for balcony or for a suite or whatever.

Full fare and Full tips for the child, but at the moment there is a special with reduced 3rd person fares on some routes and an on board credit. but check that quickly. it expires soon.

Archived