Packing list?

CorinnaOAR

Hi all!

I am brand new here. I am on a few other message boards so I know the routine. I looked around for a thread about packing. The homepage is quite overwhelming though!! :)

Can anyone give me ideas or things to pack that people tend to forget or not even think of? How about any 'to do things before the cruise'?

its my first cruise. I am OH SO EXCITED!!!! :D

thanks in advance for your help!

PS - I have migraines. Hope the boat does not effect them. I have my shots though so I should be okay!

welcome! you might want to do a search as this topic is covered throughly about once a month. you can find everything from clothes lists to items not to forget to the most bizarre. just don't take everything seriously. modify each list to fit your needs and take each suggestion as that - a suggestion.

by the way, take a gander at the ports of call page for suggestions of what to do at each stop.

here are a few things that I didn't think of...

..Duct tape....in case you suitcase zipper gets broken...can be done, airports not very careful..

Baggies....for those things that leak...shampoo, perfume, put them all in baggies...zip lock ones

Super glue...in case your dentures break (i had to look for some glue last year and had to go without a tooth till I reached Jamaica...not nice)only if you have them...lol

Needle and thread, safety pins,...you never know when you might need them..

I bought an over the door shoe bag for all my things, it was great to tidy things up..

A plastic hamper bag for the closet..

All I did was put these things in a plastic bag...in a compartment in my suitcase...that was my JUST IN CASE compartment..

Hopes these help you....But most of all Don't over pack....

Just remember you will not need as many clothes as you think you need. At sea days you will probably be in a bathing suit all day. No matter what anyone says, if you are going to a warm destination, take at least 3 bathing suits, including an old one you won't mind getting bleached out in the spa. Mix and match your evening clothes so you can cut back there. I take one pair of black evening pants and pair it with dressy and more casual tops, one pair of evening shoes and one formal dress. One pair of sandals, one pair flip flops. DH takes a dark suit, one white shirt, one colored shirts, several ties, one pair more casual slacks, several shirts to go with those, shoes as above. You can really re-wear the same clothes, especially at night, because usually you only have them on for a short time. It's more boring this way, but believe me, you will be happier travelling light, I'm always amazed at how many bags people travel with.

If you are travelling with a companion, cross pack just in case a suitcase goes on a different vacation than you do. Pack one of your bathing suits and one lightweight outfit in your carry on, in case your suitcase arrives later than the first nights dinner.

Think things through carefully before you run out and buy everything on these crazy packing lists you will read here on these boards. If you have to question what an item is for, you probably don't need it. Do yourself a favor and pack as light as you can. A ships cabin is very efficient, but quite small, just remember you will have to pack, store, repack everything you take.

I leave home the post it notes, bungee cords, water wallet, address labels, duct tape, fanny pack, cooler and so much more that we hauled along the first time. We manicure, pedicure, wax, haircut, before we go so we can leave all that junk at home. Make sure your clothing and suitcase is in good repair before you leave, if you need a new suitcase, don't buy a cheap one, buy quality.

Take along a minimum amount of toiletries, meds, makeup, but do pack a large size of sunscreen. Try to pack your toiletries in a bag that can be emptied into the bathroom then used as a daytime bag, so you don't pack an extra bag. Take more film/larger memory than you think you need for the week, if you plan on snorkeling, buy your underwater camera before you go, they are very expensive onboard. If your hair takes a long time to dry, take your own hairdryer, the ones available on a ship are fine for hair that dries quickly.

There is so much more to tell you, books have been written on the subject. If I could go back in time, I could probably save enough money to pay for another cruise with what we bought for our first cruise. Remember, the people you will meet are pretty much just average people, you will fit right in.

The best, most important items to pack?? Your sense of humor, patience and a lot more $$ than you think you need.

DH and I always take our water shoes. They are great for walking on the beach , climbing waterfalls, or any water activity. They sell them on the ship and at excursions sites but COSTLY. You can get them at Wal-Mart cheap and will last many years. Also, I love my backpack for going off the ship. I can put water, towels, camera, snacks,etc in there AND my hubby doesn't mind helping take it - unlike help with a pocketbook!!! I always use one of the small money packs that you tuck in you bra - I figure if anyone gets to my cash there, then I won't be concerned about the loss of cash!! I do like the shoe bag thing that hangs over the closet door to catch all my "stuff". I can always find my "stuff" before heading out the door. Be sure to get one with clear pockets so you don't have to dig in all of them when looking for something.

Cabins are pretty small, but luggage will usually go under your bed and if not, then in the closet.

This is just a suggestion, but if you have to rise REALLY REALLY earley for your flight out to the ship, then you might consider doing a pre-cruise nite in the city of embarcation. You will feel much more rested and then enjoy even the first night on the ship rather than being so tired. After we tried this once, we will ALWAYS do this on every cruise.

ENJOY!!

thanks everyone who has answered so far. I apologize for not searching first. (the boards that I am on SUCK with the search engines. I gave up on them!!)

WE GOT WATER SHOES THRU AMAZON.COM THE OTHER DAY!! :D

cross packing is SUCH a great idea. thanks for that suggestion. And I def will use ziplocks. All of my stuff always explodes! :eek:

thanks again!

• 3 years later...

Archived