7 ships in port; Need shore snorkeling location

rian90

Hello,

We are sailing on March 23rd with our three kids. They really want to try snorkeling and we had planned to visit the park on Cozumel. However, with 7 ships in port, it is going to be REALLY busy.

So we are trying to find an alternative..something a little less crowded if possible and with some offshore snorkeling. I am sure the private places like Nachi are booked already so looking for something less exclusive.

I considered Playa Uvas but reports here say that it has been very crowded. The other option we are considering is the PalMar Beach Club. Does anyone else know of anything else that might work for us? My son is 18 but our daughters are only 11 and 8 so we need something for them. My husband has snorkeled but the rest of us are novices.

I really don't want to be neck and neck with others. As for the quality of the snorkeling, I realize a boat would be better, but I think my kids would be happy seeing some fish and possibly a little coral. So shore would be better for us. Sandy beach is not necessary as we live in Florida and see them all the time. :)

Thanks for your help! I realize we are late in booking but I didn't realize 7 ships would be in port!!

• 2 weeks later...

The best that I have found for shore snorkeling is Chankanaab Park and Dzul Ha. Dzul Ha is at the Money Bar and the MB is right next to PalMar. I've heard that Playa Uvas is in the same area and should offer the same type of snorkeling. PalMar has a nice place with a pool and snacks. The snorkeling is across the road.

If you want to get away from the crowds you might consider Playa Palancar. It is farther from the ships and doesn't get as crowded. The area is not good for shore snorkeling but they do offer a boat trip to Palancar Reef. We were there with 7 or 8 ships in port. Most people don't arrive until after 10:00 and usually leave by 2:00. Nice place!!

I would say Chankanaab Park also. There is an area for kids until they get the hang of it. Very nice and cost is very nice. Google for more info. Oh and never too many people there. We have tried other places but now we just go there everytime.

Archived