Which port in ne wyork City?

TonyinFla

We are going on the Triumph on 6/15/09 out of New York. We want to play in the city for a couple of days, but I am not ssure which port the boat leaves from. this will determine where we stay. Anyone know? tia

We are going on the Triumph on 6/15/09 out of New York. We want to play in the city for a couple of days, but I am not ssure which port the boat leaves from. this will determine where we stay. Anyone know? tia

pretty sure you'll be leaving from Red Hook (Brooklyn).

Bill

The Triumph will leave from Manhattan. It will be from one of the three (side by side) piers located on the West Side Highway at West 55th Street. If you research your cruises using an online travel agency it will always show the departure port. Usually, Carnival departs from Manhattan, RCI goes out of Bayonne, Princess and Cunard (Queen Mary 2) leave from Brooklyn.

If you stay on the Jersey side, the Sheraton on the Hudson is a great riverfront hotel with free parking. We always stay there and use either the ferry or the PATH train to go into Manhattan for our pre-cruise sightseeing. On the morning of the cruise it's just a quick drive through the Lincoln tunnel and down the West Side Highway (also known as 12th Ave) to the pier.

Kathy

Another question, if we wanted to Greyhound in from Toronto (it's overnight and very cheap) the bus arrives at the Port Authority around 7:30 a.m. how long would it take for us to get to the cruise port and does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost.

The Triumph will leave from Manhattan. It will be from one of the three (side by side) piers located on the West Side Highway at West 55th Street. If you research your cruises using an online travel agency it will always show the departure port. Usually, Carnival departs from Manhattan, RCI goes out of Bayonne, Princess and Cunard (Queen Mary 2) leave from Brooklyn.

If you stay on the Jersey side, the Sheraton on the Hudson is a great riverfront hotel with free parking. We always stay there and use either the ferry or the PATH train to go into Manhattan for our pre-cruise sightseeing. On the morning of the cruise it's just a quick drive through the Lincoln tunnel and down the West Side Highway (also known as 12th Ave) to the pier.

Kathy

Good choice staying on the Jersey side if you want to save money. You will miss out on the "ambiance" of staying in the city, but the view from Jersey is excellent!

Another question, if we wanted to Greyhound in from Toronto (it's overnight and very cheap) the bus arrives at the Port Authority around 7:30 a.m. how long would it take for us to get to the cruise port and does anyone have an idea of how much it would cost.

You could walk from the PA (4 "long" blocks), but you should be able to grab a taxi for $25 or less if traffic is not too bad.

Native New Yorker here. Both are in Midtown on the West Side. The Port Authority Bus Terminal takes up the whole block between 8th and 9th Avenues at 42nd Street. The Piers (Passenger Ship Terminal) are at 55th Street and 12th Avenue. If it wasn't for your luggage, you could easily walk, so there's not much cab fare involved at all.

you should be able to grab a taxi for $25 or less if traffic is not too bad.

It would be more like under $10 I think. Also -- don't let your cab driver get into the line to drop you off at the terminal. Just tell him to let you off on the East side of 12th Avenue at 55th and then walk across the street yourself. There's a crosswalk right over to the terminal and it can save you from wasting time and money sitting in the long line of cars that sometimes forms to drop people off in front of the terminal.

It would be more like under $10 I think. Also -- don't let your cab driver get into the line to drop you off at the terminal. Just tell him to let you off on the East side of 12th Avenue at 55th and then walk across the street yourself. There's a crosswalk right over to the terminal and it can save you from wasting time and money sitting in the long line of cars that sometimes forms to drop people off in front of the terminal.

Well, it depends on traffic. Took us almost an hour to go 5 blocks north on 12th because of some marathon or something. If I didn't have as much luggage as I did, I would have hoofed it myself. I would hope that with tip they could do $10-15, but I'd rather err on the side of caution knowing from experience $10 is not likely during a busy cruise traffic jam.

My gf and I took the bus last year. The cab cost $15. Yes you could walk, but I wouldn't recomend it. It looked like all boarded up wearhouses.

The prices for parking at the pier have gone up in price since we started parking there a few years ago. Last summer for our cruise on the Carnival Victory I think we paid $30 a day...but it was so worth it. Our pier was literally right beside our ship and we actually overlooked our car from our balcony! If you're from Toronto it's a very easy 8 hour drive and the parking, although expensive, is very convenient both before and after the cruise.

Kathy

Archived