Jewelry stores

Pettifogger

I'd like to buy a relative a necklace from Hawaii that is one grade better than costume jewelry, but not too expensive for an oceanview passenger. Would Honolulu be better than Lahaina or Kona? Can anyone recommend specific stores, preferably easily accessible from the cruise dock? Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I buy all my jewelry from Na Hoku. Na Hoku makes their jewelry in Hawaii which makes it that much more special. They have pieces in all price ranges. They have stores in several of the ports. I typically buy from the Lahaina or Honolulu stores. The prices are the same at all locations. The selections will be greater in Honolulu and Lahaina - and since they have more store in those locations, if you see something on the website that you like and it's not in the store you visit, they will go to one of the other stores to pick it up for you if they have it at another location (and you have the time).

Here's a link to their website: http://www.nahoku.com/NaHoku/Home

I have been buying from them for over 20 years and have never had a problem with anything I've bought. Note that they do carry other manufacturers but the Na Hoku pieces are all their own work and made in the islands. You will easily identity those pieces on their website. And, they have a lot more in the store than they do on their website, as well.

Hope you find something you like! (If you're like me, that won't be a problem!) ;)

I need a little more info before I comment. What is your price range and what style do you have in mind?

Do you want a Hawaiian design like a gold plumeria flower pendant or are you looking for shells/beads/pearls?

I think Honolulu will have the largest selection but you never know when you'll find that little treasure in a small neighbor island shop.

I hate to admit this but I bought a pair of earrings at the ABC store (OK it was a "market place" store at the Queen's Market North of Kona).

They were sterling silver with freshwater pearls. Design was plumeria with a small sea turtle (the pearl was the shell of the turtle) and they were fairly inexpensive.

I know that they weren't made in Hawaii but they were the right price and they were the ideal souvenir for me.

Other options are to shop at the Farmer's markets/stalls for some locally made jewelry out of shells.

In Honolulu you could try the International marketplace, in Kona there is a Farmer's Market type area with stalls near the port.

In Honolulu you could try the International marketplace

Be aware that any jewelry you find at the kiosks/carts in the International Marketplace can be found on the other islands for at least 1/3 lower in price. It is all vermeil jewelry although it is often represented as gold.

I'm not saying don't buy it - I'm just saying be aware of what you are getting. I bought a cute little rose vermeil honu (turtle) and hibisbus ring with Swarovski crystals in it on Maui for $22 (down from $35). It was selling for $70 in the IM but the two booths that had it would "let me have it" for $50 at the one, $55 at the other. One had one without the stones and I could get that one for $45.

I've enjoyed the cute little ring - although I've lost one of the crystals. But since it's just a higher-priced piece of costume jewelry, I'm not complaining.

The IM has changed a lot over the past several years and (imo) not for the better, unfortunately. It's a good suggestion, though, as long as you know what you're looking at and you've done some comparison shopping along the way so that you don't pay too much for something that you can pay substantially less for elsewhere.

(fyi - thought I'd add that I got my honu ring at a little shop in the complex with the Maui Ocean Center...don't remember the name of it but I found the ring for the same price at a few other places in West Maui; the shop where I got my ring had a really nice selection of the vermeil jewelry...more to choose from than the kiosks at the International Marketplace, actually)

Archived