New Jacksonville Cruise Terminal Put On Hold

marym933

I would say it truly needs a new port .

Locals seem not to want it however?

A pity ,someone always wants a hand in the cookie jar.

The deal with the new Jacksonville port is that in 2012 the current one will go away. That means that we have to build a new one or lose the cruise business. The new port is to be built in an area called "Mayport" which is a little shrimping village. The folks there don't want that part of town to be forever changed by all the traffic generated by the cruise industry. So that's what the fight is over.

However, as a resident and frequent cruiser I whole-heartedly want a new cruise terminal. First, we can only have a small ship currently since there is a bridge that has to be navigated when leaving and a larger ship couldn't do that. If the dock was in Mayport we could have larger and more ships. Secondly, that area of town is very depressed economically and could really use the influx of money that would be generated by cruise travelers. It is a naval area and the large carrier left recently taking all those jobs with it so I think the cruise terminal is just what is needed. But, that's just my 2 cents worth :)

I agree with you JaxMate. I want a new terminal and I'd like to see more ships come to our port. Too many people in my family are out of work right now. Where could they put a new terminal along the river? Blount Island?

Sailed on the Fascination in February. Spent the night prior to cruise and ate at a local restaurant. Once CCL leaves Jax because of port issues, less motel stays and meals in restaurants, so the whole City loses without a new port. So sad as Jax is only a 4 hour drive for us.

Archived