Got Caught Trying to Cheat Carnival...

What are the chances the tour operator is actually going to check and see if your story of a reservation at a hotel verifies?

Agreed but I would worry about the tour operator wanting to see my resort "bracelet" or something dumb like that. :(

I think the cruise lines have some investment in these businesses and are protecting their own interests. There is no way these ships can dump hundreds of people off for tours and think some local entrepreneur is running it.

That's my take. In some places I have booked online, picked a tour on on shore etc. Depends. I think the cruise lines own those zip companies. Just like they own the shops at some piers.

I think the cruise lines have some investment in these businesses and are protecting their own interests. There is no way these ships can dump hundreds of people off for tours and think some local entrepreneur is running it.

That's my take. In some places I have booked online, picked a tour on on shore etc. Depends. I think the cruise lines own those zip companies. Just like they own the shops at some piers.

What color is the sky in your world? If that were the case there would be a discount for the cruise passengers instead of a penalty.

I would give them a resort and your name and i bet they don't even check.Also i am not sure if the resort would tell them who is booked there and who is not.It comes down to confidentuality laws etc..Go ahead and give them a name and fake resort.I bet it will work.

Again working for a hotel here, I can tell you that if they called and asked if Joe Smith is reserved for a certain date, they would be able to get the information. It's just like if you call a hotel and ask for someone, they will conect you to the room, they just can't give out the room number. So long story short, they can verify a reservation, they just can't give out any personal stuff. Of course that is here in the US, I am not sure what the laws are there:D

I work in a hotel, Major brand hotel actually, and we do not give out any reservation information unless the person calling can give either a confirmation number and verify the credit card number, or verify the credit card that the room is booked under. So no they cannot check, at least not with my brand.

Next time just book a resort and cancel the reservation right before your cruise...

;)

Privacy rules would say that they can't really call the resort and confirm your reservation...

I mean a stranger shouldn't be able to know if I am staying somewhere...

I think they were bluffing.

BUSTED:D

Thats funny..no flames, just funny...

I would still e-mail them back and be honest...sorry, I was just trying to save a few bucks...guess this happened before....apologize again..you never know........

Then go book a resort and cancel prior to arrival:eek:

OMG, that was such a funny reply!:D I had a bad day, and this just made me LOL!:D:D

OK...I'm going to give it a go...I'll keep you updated. I won't make up a name, but I will just do a google search and find a resort...oh I feel like such a bad girl :o

Bad girl, bad girl, what ya gonna do, what ya gonna do when they come for you? Sorry, I couldn't resist!:o:D

What color is the sky in your world? If that were the case there would be a discount for the cruise passengers instead of a penalty.

They make more money charging cruisers double. Some of these businesses only exist because cruise lines had to provide something for cruisers to do and something where they would make a ton of money.

TO THE OP:

Do you have children that will be on this excursion with you?

and

What happens if you see someone who reconizes you from the ship on this excursion? will they have cruise passengers as well?

The reason I ask the first question is it is a shame if you have to tell your children to "lie" to save money. I understand how terrible it is for Carnival to charge more, but it is more sad the picture we paint for our kids. PLUS kids will be kids and more than likely spill the beans on accident.:o

sorry I know so far I am the only one taking this stand.

TO THE OP:

Do you have children that will be on this excursion with you?

and

What happens if you see someone who reconizes you from the ship on this excursion? will they have cruise passengers as well?

The reason I ask the first question is it is a shame if you have to tell your children to "lie" to save money. I understand how terrible it is for Carnival to charge more, but it is more sad the picture we paint for our kids. PLUS kids will be kids and more than likely spill the beans on accident.:o

sorry I know so far I am the only one taking this stand.

Oh my goodness I damn near fell off my chair laughing at your comment. Are you serious??!! :confused:

Well, put your sweet little mind to rest...I don't have children and therefore they won't be exposed to my malicious and unethical lies...but I'm glad to know some ppl, as yourself, feel that having children is the only time one should have integrity...I guess since I don't have children it is OK that I am a lying cheater :rolleyes:

And, as for other ppl on the ship who are on the excursion? Gee, so sorry...I guess they should have read the board with reviews from past cruise pax that gave me this suggestion...as mentioned in my original post...:D

A lot of cruise tour contractors will allow you to book with them at the pier, even if they know you are on the ship. From my experience, their contract just states that they can't solicit you on the pier for tours, but if you go to them and inquire, it's ok. You may not be able to book ahead of time with certain companies, but if they have space for you when you arrive at the pier, they'll usually take you, and you'll save a few bucks.

And if they dont have space:confused:

G'ma where are you!? I'm wondering what you think about all this lyin' cheatin' and conniving?

Picklebongo don't you dare jinx this thread! I've managed to avoid toungelashings about crashing pg parties, smoking on a balcony, letting my imaginary child play in the adult pool, smuggle liquor, and chair hogging...please don't sic gma on me :eek:

Picklebongo don't you dare jinx this thread! I've managed to avoid toungelashings about crashing pg parties, smoking on a balcony, letting my imaginary child play in the adult pool, smuggle liquor, and chair hogging...please don't sic gma on me :eek:

Your post made me laugh out loud!

I read this post and thought I had better join so I can reply. So my first post is letting you know i did have a good giggle.

Don't carnival cheat you out of 50% anyway? So why not do what you can to pay what others are paying.

I agree also about writing back to the tour operator and see what they can do for you.

You will not be the first, and given the replies here it sounds like something many of us would try to do.

OK, OK, bash and flame if you must...I know some people will...but feel better knowing I got in "trouble" and feel like a complete loser now :(

So, the Amazing Tiki Hut Snorkel adventure that Carnival offers...$80 pp, right? But the company does the excursion for $40 pp...the caveat is that they have a contract with RCI, Carnival, and I believe Holland America. They will not book excursions for their Tiki Hut outside of the ship; if you are a cruise passenger on one of the above ships, you have to sign up on the ship and pay double.

Well, I went to the St. Maarten thread and read some reviews of this hut...several people said they felt silly for paying the Carnival price for the excursion when there were people on their own boat who told them (as they stood on line waiting for the shuttle) that they paid half the price by booking independently...they simply told the company they were staying at a resort on the island, and voila, avoided the exorbitant Carnival fee.

So, I sent an email to the company, asking what the rates were. They wrote back and asked if I was arriving via cruise ship or if I was going to be on the island. I said I would be on the island (yes, I lied). Then they wrote back and said "We need your name and the resort you are staying as so we can verify that you are not a cruise ship passenger."

Um, I didn't respond...too embarassed for being caught in my lie :o

So, I guess I'll be paying the double fee on Carnival because I really wanted to do this excursion...

Crime and lies do not pay! Lesson learned. :p

Just tried this with the train ride in St. Kitts......It was thesame...it was a nope. Can't do it. Ain't gonna happen......

OK...I'm going to give it a go...I'll keep you updated. I won't make up a name, but I will just do a google search and find a resort...oh I feel like such a bad girl :o

Good girls go to heaven . . . bad girls GO EVERYWHERE ! ! :D

Paging Dr Bombay, Dr Bombay, come right away....

It is'nt cheating to do this. Its called finding a better deal. Is it cheating if you find the same shirt cheaper at Ross than at Macy's? ITs cutting out the middle man. If your willing to do the research and risk the security of not booking with CCL then there should be nothing wrong....But as others have pointed out, there is no security when booking with CCL ....just check your contract...as it has been said. ..So if RCL offers the same cruise itnerary for less price,,,,is it cheating Carnival if you take RCL instead...I know thats apples and oranges,,,,but why does it always have to be poor old Carnival, they are just trying to make a dime. I love Carnival , but i cruise with them because I enjoy the product. Outside of that there is no obligation on thier part or mine. Its a business transaction not a marriage.

I think I'm a pretty honest person - and I don't see this as cheating at all. If you sneak onto the Carnival tour bus without paying - that would be cheating, but I feel that you are just shopping around, doing your research and being a smart consumer. I agree with what someone else said - if anyone would be considered to be cheating I think it would be Carnival cheating you by charging double for the excursion! Just my opinion.

Oh my goodness I damn near fell off my chair laughing at your comment. Are you serious??!! :confused:

Well, put your sweet little mind to rest...I don't have children and therefore they won't be exposed to my malicious and unethical lies...but I'm glad to know some ppl, as yourself, feel that having children is the only time one should have integrity...I guess since I don't have children it is OK that I am a lying cheater :rolleyes:

And, as for other ppl on the ship who are on the excursion? Gee, so sorry...I guess they should have read the board with reviews from past cruise pax that gave me this suggestion...as mentioned in my original post...:D

Actually, I do have kids, two, in fact. And first of all, they probably wouldn't be the slightest bit interested in how we got to where we were going, how much we paid or anything else. Secondly, if they did ask, I'd gladly tell them I was using what resources were available to me (knowledge + the internet) to save us money and refusing to be taken advantage of by the situation. And I'd encourage them to do the same in any given situation.

As for the other passengers on the ship and that snowball's chance in you-know-where that they would recognize you, who on EARTH is going to be like, "HEY! YOU OVER THERE! DON'T I KNOW YOU?!". :rolleyes:

Archived