Got Caught Trying to Cheat Carnival...

I don't think you are playing nice.....if I am wrong correct me.....If I am right...forget me.

LOL! I am trying to figure out who has not showed up lately and two of them have those letters in their first name.......Honest Abe:D:)

I'm still waiting an email; I gave them our real names and the name of a real resort that we are NOT booked at...

And, to the posters who commented on the peace of mind Carnival offers with their own excursions, I totally agree with you!

However, the reason I really felt confident trying to book this tour independently is because, from what I understand, this is how the transport works...

In St. Maarten, they have water taxis. For $6 you get unlimited use of the water taxi that day. One of these water taxis is specifically for the Tiki Hut, but of course when you buy the excursion you get access to all the water taxis. The water taxis, of course, take you back and forth between the boardwalk by the pier and other islands, like Divi Bay, Tiki Hut, etc.

So, when you pay for the excursion, you don't get any "special" transport from Carnival. You get the same thing everyone else is getting: a water taxi bracelet with unlimited usage and access to the Tiki Hut and its equipment.

It doesn't look like there is a special shuttle or anything for Carnival pax versus the islanders concerning this particular excursion. Thus, it looks like we're all in the same boat when it comes to getting back to the ship :D

Picklebongo don't you dare jinx this thread! I've managed to avoid toungelashings about crashing pg parties, smoking on a balcony, letting my imaginary child play in the adult pool, smuggle liquor, and chair hogging...please don't sic gma on me :eek:

HAhahahaaahaa.....cough..hahahhhaa:eek:..hahhaaaaa...oh god i can stop.aahhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

TO THE OP:

Do you have children that will be on this excursion with you?

and

What happens if you see someone who reconizes you from the ship on this excursion? will they have cruise passengers as well?

The reason I ask the first question is it is a shame if you have to tell your children to "lie" to save money. I understand how terrible it is for Carnival to charge more, but it is more sad the picture we paint for our kids. PLUS kids will be kids and more than likely spill the beans on accident.:o

sorry I know so far I am the only one taking this stand.

You book into a hotel with your children. You decide to go out to have a meal, i.e. off premise. At the restaurant you are asked to provide private information (where you are staying). You ask why. They tell you that they have to charge you twice as much and put it on your room bill if you are staying at the hotel. If you are not staying at the hotel you can pay directly for half the hotel cost.

Do you explain to your children that it is illegal for businesses to collude in forcing consumers to pay more for goods or services and what has just transpired is likely illegal?

Having witnessed in the company of your children a probable illegal act, do you report it to the appropriate authorities?

Do you explain to your children that when faced with (probable) criminal behavior one is not necessarily bound by convention and there may be situations in which dishonesty is permissible?

I agree, it would be shameful to teach ones children to lie simply to save money.

The more experienced cruisers know that the cruise lines rip us off for tours.

Learned about a dozen cruises ago that you find reliable vendors on the islands (generally thru the CC boards) and deal with them for tours.

You get a better and cheaper tour virtually all the time. The only exception for us is when the tour would run close to leaving port. Than either we use the cruise line or tell operator we want to be back at least 1 hour before departure time.

If a tour operator told me that I can only book thru the cruise line would make sure he understands he has just lost my business. Put the onus on them to come up with plan B.

Enough people do that and things will change real quick.

I work hard to pay for my vacations and if someone tries Yes I would tell a tour operator

Golfadj

OK, OK, bash and flame if you must...I know some people will...but feel better knowing I got in "trouble" and feel like a complete loser now :(

So, the Amazing Tiki Hut Snorkel adventure that Carnival offers...$80 pp, right? But the company does the excursion for $40 pp...the caveat is that they have a contract with RCI, Carnival, and I believe Holland America. They will not book excursions for their Tiki Hut outside of the ship; if you are a cruise passenger on one of the above ships, you have to sign up on the ship and pay double.

Well, I went to the St. Maarten thread and read some reviews of this hut...several people said they felt silly for paying the Carnival price for the excursion when there were people on their own boat who told them (as they stood on line waiting for the shuttle) that they paid half the price by booking independently...they simply told the company they were staying at a resort on the island, and voila, avoided the exorbitant Carnival fee.

So, I sent an email to the company, asking what the rates were. They wrote back and asked if I was arriving via cruise ship or if I was going to be on the island. I said I would be on the island (yes, I lied). Then they wrote back and said "We need your name and the resort you are staying as so we can verify that you are not a cruise ship passenger."

Um, I didn't respond...too embarassed for being caught in my lie :o

So, I guess I'll be paying the double fee on Carnival because I really wanted to do this excursion...

Crime and lies do not pay! Lesson learned. :p

Sounds like a me trick!!:D

He didn't but I would have made up a name of the Resort I will be staying in. I don't believe they would actually check for your reseverations.

Another thought.... When I make a reservation at a resort/hotel, the reservation is in MY name, even though it's a ressi for 3 people, one of which has a different last name. I've never had anyone ask for the names of EVERYONE in my party

Brag about letting them swim in their diapers in the pool? j/k

Your cruise history is what is throwing me off........

Are you kidding me, we waited until the youngest was out of diapers/bottles/strollers before we took the Disney cruise! Everything after 1988 is married life....everything before was just my excessive wanderlust!

Btw, in my old form I had no info about my cruise history at all.

Where has Toni been? I haven't seen many of her posts recently. Yes, I am from New Yawk.

The more experienced cruisers know that the cruise lines rip us off for tours.

Learned about a dozen cruises ago that you find reliable vendors on the islands (generally thru the CC boards) and deal with them for tours.

You get a better and cheaper tour virtually all the time. The only exception for us is when the tour would run close to leaving port. Than either we use the cruise line or tell operator we want to be back at least 1 hour before departure time.

If a tour operator told me that I can only book thru the cruise line would make sure he understands he has just lost my business. Put the onus on them to come up with plan B.

Enough people do that and things will change real quick.

I work hard to pay for my vacations and if someone tries Yes I would tell a tour operator

Golfadj

Very well put and my thoughts exactly!

I looked into this a little further after reading lsycko1's comment last night. He/She is correct in one sense that someone can call and ask to be connected to a guest's room during that person's stay as long as #1 the person is registered under the name being requested, and #2 accepting calls. With that said, if someone other than the registered guest or authorized agent of the guest does call and cannot prove by the privacy rules the hotel has in place (CC#, confirmation# at minimum) and is still able to obtain reservation information, the hotel has then broken the privacy rules contract between the hotel and the guest.

Here's an extreme example I read last night. An angry ex-husband believes that his ex-wife and her new boyfriend are going to be staying at specific hotel in a couple of weeks. The ex-husband calls the hotel and the hotel verifies that they do indeed have a reservation. He then goes to the hotel during their stay and kills both the ex-wife and boyfriend. In this case, the hotel and the hotel employee that gave the information were both found liable for assisting in the deaths of two people due to breaking the privacy contract. BTW...this was a civil case, not criminal brought on by the families of both the victims.

Obviously, this is a totally different senario than what the OP has going on. The key here is to know that if a hotel (in the US) actually does give your info out, it does break the privacy agreement and could potentially land both the hotel and employee in a world of trouble based on any loss the guest may incur.

You are very right, I think what i didn't make clear was that the tour company could not call in advance and verify the information. They could only call once the "guest" was inhouse and ask to be transferred to that room. The clerk would not give the room number out, they would just transfer. As far as the extreame case you mentioned, yes that did happen many years ago and did set the standard for hotels not giving out any reservation information without proper verification. If a guest request for no calls to be sent to their room, or to tell people that they are not staying there, the hotel must do it, and can get into trouble if they do not.

Are you kidding me, we waited until the youngest was out of diapers/bottles/strollers before we took the Disney cruise! Everything after 1988 is married life....everything before was just my excessive wanderlust!

Btw, in my old form I had no info about my cruise history at all.

Where has Toni been? I haven't seen many of her posts recently. Yes, I am from New Yawk.

Ok I have no clue.....I think you are just messing with me:D

Toni is spending most her time on facebook.......

Ok I have no clue.....I think you are just messing with me:D

Toni is spending most her time on facebook.......

The joke is on me, Kurb. Around the time of the Julia thread (the 18yo and the 26yo bf) and the swingers thread (both poofed) I took a very conservative stance as I felt someone had to. Of course the thread ran the gamut and everything in between. I felt my values were being trampled on, so I left for a few days. The comments made really disturbed me and quite frankly I am upset with myself for letting stranger comments bother me. I was mis quoted, misinterpreted and insulted. While I am middle of the road, I do maintain certain values and opinions, which I stand by, but would never be called a staunch anything. As expected everyone was trying to stir things up, so I left for a breather. If I am not mistaken you too took the conservative stance about the swingers.

The new me just lets them babble on:D

btw, how would I get to Toni on facebook..tell her it's her pal who likes old movies, she knows my name

I don't agree with the title of this thread. From where I stand you didn't try to cheat Carnival, you tried to book an excursion at the going rate. Seems to me that it is more like Carnival trying to cheat their passengers when they not only charge you double for the same excursion, just for booking it throught them, but also restrict your ability to book it on your own simply because you got to the area on their ship rather than by plane.

Cruisin6 - now you have me curious too - you seem so familiar.

I had a name, forgot my password, and had given up the email account used. To much trouble to get it straight so I started over too.

Are you going to give us a clue?

I would look for an alternate tour that was recommended here or research online.

I have no first hand knowledge of that island but on GBI(Freeport) several of the excursion have no compete clauses with the ships and if a cruise line passenger books separately they can lose all their future booking thru them. It is a very big incentive to make sure no cruise passengers book separately.

Having said all that I'm sure that if you walk up and buy a ticket at the site who knows where you came from.

I think you are right and just to find the best and cheapest value for your money. I would be doing the same if that was the trip I wanted.... I just think you ought to see if there is something comparable because it will most likely be less crowded and be trying harder... Live AVIS.

Archived