Alaska cruise with kids?

bbrme

We are considering taking an Alaska cruise with DS(8) and DD(6) leaving 5/31 and are considering both the Star Princess and the Westerdam. I would love to get some comparisons of the two. Im especially interested in the pool areas, the kids programs, and how all four of us will fit in the cabin (we are looking at an inside on Westerdam or an obstruced view on the Star Princess).

Thanks for your help

Beth

I'm taking my children (3, 10 and 13) on a cruise to Alaska in June.

I chose Princess. Both Princess and HAL are supposed to be very good in Alaska. HAL is known for their older passengers though. I would expect Princess to have more kids on their ship.

Wouldn't think there would be many kids on either ship on a 5/31 sailing date as most kids will still be in school. Both ships have a covered pool area which is nice to have with kids in Alaska. Personally I think the Westerdam has a far superior itinerary so I would go with that if the prices were similar. Star is quite a bit larger than Westerdam and will have 800 or so more passengers onboard and a better chance of more kids.

We have sailed HAL vista class ships several times with our daughter and have always had great experiences. Have sailed Princess several times as well (although not with a child) and have never been disappointed with them either.

Alaska is really about itinerary. I would choose HAL Westerdam as it has a much better itinerary than Star Princess, especially if glacier viewing is at all a priority for you. Also, the inside stateroom on Westerdam should be larger than the obstructed cabin on Star Princess.

We took the Oosterdam last year and my kids were 7 and 4 and loved it. Club Hal was great. Check on your ship pool as well, if your kids like to swim. Oosterdam was enclosed, but I noticed some other ships in Juneau, including a Princess ship that was all open air, so no swimming. Just a thought if it is important at all. But I doubt many kids will be there in May.

We took the Oosterdam last year and my kids were 7 and 4 and loved it. Club Hal was great. Check on your ship pool as well, if your kids like to swim. Oosterdam was enclosed, but I noticed some other ships in Juneau, including a Princess ship that was all open air, so no swimming. Just a thought if it is important at all. But I doubt many kids will be there in May.

We were in Alaska on May 28, 2007. It is true that there were not as many kids at this time because school was not out for alot of cities.

My grand daughters (4 & 9) still loved the Fun Zone. They wanted to go anytime it was open. The crew did a wonderful job.

As far as swimming, the pools on the Princess ships going to Alaska they are heated, fresh water and have retractable roofs. Grand daughters did not use pools alot as they were just to busy with excursions and with extended family on cruise.

I have never cruised on HAL but I'm sure either cruise line will give you a wonderful time never to forget!:)

Archived