Children in Jamaica

Michiganman

We are stopping in Jamaica in January and I am concerned about even getting off the ship. We have 2 children (4 and 1 years old) We have a quote from Ionia McBeam to take us to Mahogany Beach. My wife and I are not sure if we should go to the beach or stay on the ship. Please help us with your Jamaica experiences.

We were in Jamaica the beginning of November and had a wonderful time. Our tour was through A-Z Jamaica Planners. Belinda arranged everything to our liking, and our guide, Oscar, made it all happen. I cannot imagine a reason not to enjoy this beautiful island. We didn't spend any time at the beach, so I can't comment on that aspect, but our tour was completely safe and we were not hasseled by vendors. Enjoy Jamaica!

are you sailing into Mo bay or Ocho Rios?

If you are going into MoBay, there is the sunset bay resort, that for twenty a person, sounds like a great deal. Ive heard lots of good things about this place and that it is especially good for children. We will be there in a few weeks and I am planning on going with my almost three year old!
Brian

• 3 weeks later...
We were in Montego Bay, Jamaica in Nov. and we brought our two young children ages 5 and 7. We went to Sunset Beach Resort and felt extremely safe. This is an upscale resort with a guarded gate at the front that won't allow anyone in without the proper I.D. If you show your cruise I.D. card, you can get in for only $20 for adults and $10 for kids. ;)

This resort is an all inclusive that includes fresh cooked food, sodas, alcohol, and all of the water toys. We used the snorkel equipment, the kayaks, the paddleboats, and the volley ball court and had a blast. Plus it was all included for the entry fee. The locals are not allowed in so you won't be harrassed by pushy sales people. There are 3 beaches and 3 pools with one pool having a swim up bar.

This resort can be seen from the ship and a taxi for our family of 4 cost only $5 to get there. The resort, the staff, and the people on the beach and in the pool looked well to do. We felt very safe there and had a really great time. I can't say enough to convey how much we liked this place.:D

That depends on where the Mariner docks. If the Mariner docks anywhere in Montego Bay, then there will be a flat fee of $5 per cab ride, since there is only one major docking area for cruise ships in Montego Bay.:)

But if the Mariner docks in Ocho Rios, then I would not suggest trying to get to the Montego Bay area. It is a good one hour drive, and that's if the conditions are right and the road isn't congested with a lot of traffic. :( The road between the two cities is a bit rough and known for being congested with traffic. Round trip I would say it would at least be a 2 or 3 hour drive. I wouldn't use up my valuable port time stuck in a taxi or bus for that long. Not to mention the exorbitant prices that you would probably be charged for getting there.

If you're looking for something similar to Sunset Beach Resort in the Ocho Rios area, I would suggest Margaritaville.;) It's right on the beach with access to the beach. It also has pools, a restaurant, bars, clean restrooms and showers, and water toys like the floating trampoline.

If you want more info. on Margaritaville, just do a search on it here at CC and you should find lots of info. I hope this helps.:)

We were in Ocho Rios last week and took our 4 year old. other friends from these boards also took their 5 and 4 year olds. There were no issues at all. We booked with Phil Lafayette, did the falls (did not climb) and river tubing (with my son on my lap sharing the same tube wearing a life vest). We had a great time. Probably the best day of the cruise, although all were really great.

Archived