Has anyone gone off on their own to snorkel on GT?

Nacwolin

There are several excursions available to us via Carnival, but I am wondering if anyone has gone off on their own to snorkel on GT? We plan to bring our own stuff, and was thinking this might be the best place to try to do something on our own (as opposed to Nassau and Freeport).

Any help/suggestions - even a "you are crazy - go with this excursion! - comments are welcome.

Thanks!

Depends on how far you are willing to swim. There is some great snorkeling within a hundred yards of shore and the shelf is not much farther out in some areas.

I'd still say take a boat out, but use on of the locals. They are going to know the best places to hit and you won't tire yourself out swimming out and back. We used Meat at Bohia Beach resort, 7pp taxi there and 30pp for an hour snorkeling. Plus the taxi back but we stopped and did lunch so I'm guessing that it would be 7pp back.

I would be careful about just going off in snorkeling by yourselves. You don't know the currents, the water conditions, what is safe, what isn't. I have snorkeled on organized excursions and had no problem. In Cozumel, during the race fantastique tour on Carnival, one part involved snorkeling. I jumped in the water, ready to enthusiastically participate. However, I was surprised by the current, and was unable to really do much. I needed the boat to come get me. Now I am far from an expert snorkeler, and maybe an expert wouldn't be phased by that. But I would caution anybody who wasn't an expert to becarefu.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived