Onboard credit

loty

I tryed and searched for this, but couldn't really find the right answer. I read on the HAL web, that they take 60$/person/day for every day of a cruise... so if a cruise is 7 day... that would be like 420$ of deposit? Why do they need soo much deposit? We are not a big spenders, cause we will be traveling from Europe... And if we use our credit card, they will hold this amount and since i have bad experience with holding (rent a car) and if this will happen again, i won't be able to rent a car after a cruise! :confused:

Well any advice on why they need so much deposit or how can this bi solved easy? :)

Yes, a $60/day/person credit card hold is HAL's policy. Simply stated, HAL wants to be reasonably certain they will be paid for whatever passengers may charge onboard.

There have been comments on the HAL board that upon embarkation passengers may be able to present cash at the Front Desk rather than a credit card at checkin ... some controversy exists as to whether it can be a reduced amount, such as $300 or so, or whether it would need to be the cash equivalent of $60/person/day.

Suggest you contact HAL by email for clarification. Or, if you booked thru a T/A, have them get the final word for you.

Thanks for this. Will try to figure out what to do, will probably go with the cash (i mistakenly read that it's 60$/week, and not a day ;). The thing is we don't drink and alcohol and we won't be buying any photos cause my friend is photographer. And all our excursions are prepayed, so I'm not really sure where could we spend all this money.

Maybe you can tell me one other thing... how is with tips on HAL? Do they take any money for that or you do it by yourself? And if you do it, do you do it every day/night/meal or on the end?

Thanks for this. Will try to figure out what to do, will probably go with the cash (i mistakenly read that it's 60$/week, and not a day ;). The thing is we don't drink and alcohol and we won't be buying any photos cause my friend is photographer. And all our excursions are prepayed, so I'm not really sure where could we spend all this money.

Maybe you can tell me one other thing... how is with tips on HAL? Do they take any money for that or you do it by yourself? And if you do it, do you do it every day/night/meal or on the end?

HAL assesses $11/day/person for a Hotel Service Charge ... these monies are distributed to your cabin stewards and dining room servers and to many behind-the-scenes people who make your voyage memorable. I don't recall the exact distribution formula, but I think it's something like 35% for cabin stewards, 35% for dining servers, and the remaining to other crew members that you may or may not ever encounter. You are free to tip additional, should you choose, to crew who have served you exceedingly well and/or beyond your expectations.

Further, you are free to adjust that $11/day/person up or down. Should you adjust it down or remove it completely, crew receiving any cash tips directly from you are bound by their employment contract to turn those monies in to be shared by all who are rewarded thru the Hotel Service Charge allocations.

Since every cruiseline does many things differently, you might consider posting this query and other specific Holland America questions on the Holland America board ... that way, your answers will be geared to HAL and will save you getting conflicting info.

Archived