lifeboat drill? what lifeboat drill?

johno95

*sigh* The hubby does it twice a month. Always on Sundays for the two weeks he is offshore. It is to save your life people!

If you only go to one and you are on a different ship, then how the hell do you know which muster station is yours on your present ship???

My family was just on the Sovereign - first time cruisers. The kids were in adjoining cabins and given wrist bands that stated their muster station. Well there station was 8 and ours was 2. Try getting that straightened out. Noone wanted to listen and insisted that the children (8,10&13) all go to 2 and we go to 8. Well switching a preserver with one of them so one of us would go with two kids , they told us that we couldn't do that. I told them either we all go together or we will switch the preservers. They finally sent us on to 8 and someone came over to switch their wrist bands. I still wonder in case of an emergency, what would have happened to my 13 year old as her preserver was a 2 and she didn't require a wrist band. I could just see her trying to convince someone that she belonged at 8.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only missed one lifeboat drill and it was because I was not feeling well. The cabin steward came 3 times to ask my roommate and me to go to the drill. As a coincidence she was sick too and we didn't go. I don't know what he did but nothing happened to us. The next day I was ok but my friend didn't feel well for a couple of days so he knew that we were saying the truth.

We always do the lifeboat drill.

Maybe I'm a sadist lol but I love taking pics of my friends/family in the silly looking, but (hopefully) functional life preservers!!!

It's part of the cruise, and if looked at right, can be fun...and is very necessary. If you didn't know where to go what would you do?:confused:

My friend and her husband have cruised at least twice (I don't remember on what lines), and they told my DH and I that they ahve seen people removed from the ship for not attending the life boat drills. Has anyone else ever seen that happen?

Just curious,

Emmie

We always attend the life boat drills. It's for peace of mind. I remember when we were on the Celebrity Mercury to Alaska, my then 12-year old son was with his cousins in their cabin when the drill started. I couldn't find him and was worried sick until I saw him at the other end of the hall. Kept wondering what will happen if this is for real, I would have lost contact with him. It's important if you have a family to have an emergency plan.

I have been on 9 Princess Cruises and have attended exactly one lifeboat drill. We've simply stayed in our room with no problems. On one cruise, when we had a suite, we did have someone bring our afternoon canapes in during the drill, but we were in the other room so he didn't see us. After nine times cruises on the same line, (4 on sun class and 5 on grand class ships) we have the layout down pat. We just make a note of where our muster station is and know that that's where we go with our lifevests (carried, not on) if we hear the alarm. It's not so complicated of a procedure that I have to have a refresher course every six months.

What if everyone had that cavalier attitude? It's a drill to save your lives !! Not just for fun to pass the time. Helllooooo???

• 2 weeks later...

Not going to the muster drill is not only rude to your fellow passengers it is dumb! It is like not putting batteries in your smoke detector, you may think it is un-necessary now but in an emergency you will wish you had. I don’t know about other cruise lines but on Disney passengers not showing up really prolongs the process for everyone. On our last sailing a muster drill that usually last 15-20 minutes tops lasted 45 while they waited for four cabins to show up. And let me tell you everyone else was non-too happy waiting for them to show up. We were packed in like sardines in nice tight rows of tallest to shortest, made much worse by the fact that we had to wear the life jackets and lucky for our group out on the deck facing the sun. When they finally were found, they got a big round oh boos from the rest of us.

So PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE just go to your muster drill. When everyone shows up it is quick, easy and painless, not to mention it can save your life!

The muster drill can actually be fun it is a great way to meet your neighbors you are right on top of them so you might as well talk. Also I LOVE taking pictures on my family in those awful looking life jackets.:p

My suggestion is to bring a fro fro drink, a hand held fan, and a positive attitude, it is a much better way to start of your cruise then hiding in your closest ticking off the rest of the passengers.

And remember that it is your fellow passengers who are punished by your not showing up. :o

• 2 weeks later...

On NCL there are huge numbers on the fronts of your lifejacket to indicate your stateroom. That way, as you walk up to your assigned station, the attendant just checks you off his/her list. If you miss the first drill ... you are always politely "invited" to the make-up drill the next day.

I agree ... it's only curtious to attend. We always begin our cruise picture album with the pix of the lifeboat drill. It's also a great way to begin meeting fellow passengers. My goodness ... what's the big deal anyway? Just to prove you are a "wisened" cruiser and think you know it all anyway? My, my .......:confused:

• 6 months later...

I've been on several cruises and the only time I missed was once when I was sick. I told the cabin steward that I was sick and asked if I had to attened, he checked me off the list and said no sir. I know they only take a little while but it was like 95 and putting that float on and standing with all those people around would have made me even more sick. I ended up being ill for the first 3 days of the cruise and in the cabin anyway. The way I felt, I would have gone down with the ship.

Other than that time I've allways gone.

You always have to go to the Muster Drill. Its become a tradition with us to take pictures of everyone in their lifejackets. Its just part of the "experience".

IT IS LAW

It is a matter of life and death!

The ones that don't go are the ones that panic if something should go wrong.

It is like not paying attention on the aircraft when they show where the exits are.

I always go to the lifeboat drill, and I always bring a cocktail. Then one day I figured out how to get the little safety light to come on that hangs off the shoulder, so I play with that until it gets boring then I teach other people how to do it, we make friends and go get more cocktails later on. Unfortunatly the last two cruises I went on the drill commenced as the ship was pulling out of port which I thought was poor form in the planning department as its a tradition for me to be on deck and partying at the time of sailing..but oh well. Hopefully they don't pull that on the Valor next week.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='pookie9922']How do they know if you miss it? If you're not in your cabin at the time of the drill you just go directly to your deck, don't you? They didn't take roll or anything that I can remember.
[/QUOTE]

Actually on our last vacation on HAL they did take role - we had to line up in cabin order for our section, they made sure the correct [u]number[/u] of people were present for each cabin. The only way to get out of it was if someone from a different cabin (in the same muster area) agreed to wear yours after being accounted for their own.

My first cruise was last in august. I did not really understand the lifeboat thing...but my parents had been on like four cruises and said put this on and go. To me, its a lesson in cow herding...but it could also save my life. The only thing that really annoyed me was the teenagers/adults who thought they were too cool to wear their life jacket the correct way and then argued with the crew. And then the adults who kept blowing the whistles...c'mon people do you know where those whistles have been and how many morons before you have blown them thinking it would be cute and funny. The six year olds I had standing next to me were better behaved than most of the adults.

I am a Firefighter and truly believe in the Lifeboat drill and any other issue having to do with our Safety!

Our last cruise was on the Dawn. We took the kiddos with us, there were 5 of us total. M&D, 2yo, 12yo, 14 yo. We had 4 lifejackets for 5 people, yes you read right, 4 for 5. We had brought our OWN life vest for the baby and had to use that. We argued with our cabin stewards for a life jacket, they said toget it at the station, the jackets for babies were for "emergencies only!''...we were reprimanded at the muster station (in the theatre...last place I want to be...inside!!!).....the muster capt. said we had to have 1, we told them what we were told...they said no and we went that way all week....needless to say, we will NEVER cruise NCL again.

Royal Caribbean has always been AWESOME!....I agree....camera, friends, and in 15 minutes, we're partying....just my 2 cents.

Thanks all
Rob:eek:

[quote name='FYRFYTRE6']I am a Firefighter and truly believe in the Lifeboat drill and any other issue having to do with our Safety!

Our last cruise was on the Dawn. We took the kiddos with us, there were 5 of us total. M&D, 2yo, 12yo, 14 yo. We had 4 lifejackets for 5 people, yes you read right, 4 for 5. We had brought our OWN life vest for the baby and had to use that. We argued with our cabin stewards for a life jacket, they said toget it at the station, the jackets for babies were for "emergencies only!''...we were reprimanded at the muster station (in the theatre...last place I want to be...inside!!!).....the muster capt. said we had to have 1, we told them what we were told...they said no and we went that way all week....needless to say, we will NEVER cruise NCL again.

Royal Caribbean has always been AWESOME!....I agree....camera, friends, and in 15 minutes, we're partying....just my 2 cents.

Thanks all
Rob:eek:[/quote]

We got stuck inside also on our RC cruise.

I am clostrophobic, and during our last muster the poor muster capt thought I was sea sick and was trying to give me something to help. I told him all I needed was some fresh air and room to breathe. He urged me to the side rail of the ship (what a gorgeous view) while everyone else had to stand behind the line packed like sardines. We had to stay there almost an hour before the last group showed up. Needless to say that moron cost me and the other passangers time away from my cruise. They were booed also when they finally arrived. You would think that we could be respectful to each other and just do this one simple thing that is required. After all you have the rest of your cruise to do what you want with.

Even with how sick I was I will always go to muster because I would rather be sick than dead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm utterly amazed at those who regard the drill as anything other than essential.

My wife and I have been on a number of cruises in our short time together, always on the same ship, and always in the same area of the ship (we've only had two cabins - next door to each other) so that our muster station doesn't change.

I don't know how they know we are there - they say they do but it might be a bluff. But not only would I not want to have to explain to the stewards (who are all regulars and therefore who know and recognise us) but also - potentially - to an officer why we decided that we were too important to attend.

I can't say I enjoy it but equally I don't know that something hasn't changed since the last time we were on. Isn't it better to be safe than sorry?

Wearing the lifejacket isn't fun - it's hot and uncomfortable - but at least one knows that when it's all over we'll be under way and up on the balcony, listening to the whistle as we go. That's more than enough to keep me happy during the drill.

I always go to the muster drill as well. And even if I may not have completely appreciated it on 1st and 2nd cruises, I do now. Waiting for our flight home from our 2nd cruise, as we spoke to passengers from the ship that had docked right next to us, we learned exactly why it was very important to know where your muster station is in an emergency. The folks on the Norway had to find their emergency stations in smoky, dark hallways at a very early hour in the morning. I couldn't imagine trying to find my muster station for the very first time in conditions like that.

So even though it was very cold and windy on my cruise on the Rhapsody two weeks ago, we gladly went to muster drill. We took advantage of getting there early to hide in the back behind all the tall people to block the wind for us.

Archived