Killer Water??

jbroons

Is it safe to drink water, drinks with ice cubes, eat fruit rinsed with water, etc. on Caribbean Islands?? Specifically, we are going to Jamaica (Ocho Rios) and Grand Cayman.

However, it might be great for all to share their water experiences, safe or unsafe, wherever you have been in the Caribbean. Thanks!!

I had multiple drinks with ice at Margaritaville in Ocho Rios, as well as the nachos with a fork. The only thing I came outta there with was a T shirt and a good buzz.

dk

I had multiple drinks with ice at Margaritaville in Ocho Rios, as well as the nachos with a fork. The only thing I came outta there with was a T shirt and a good buzz.

dk

LOL Thanks dk1.

It's recommended in several ports that you only drink bottled water. However you have to beware of some street vendors that reuse the bottles and fill them with tap water, so be sure you check that it's sealed.

We have had drinks with ice in both Negril and Ocho Rios with no problems. My only advice is if you snorkel in Jamaica, try to clean your snorkeling gear before putting it in your mouth. Last year we went snorkeling in Little Port Royal and they just pulled the snorkels out of a bucket!! I ended up having flu like syntoms for a couple of days. Not sure if they aren't cleaned well or if it was something else. While snorkeling in Cozumel, the snorkels came bagged with a wrapper and at least seemed cleaner...Totally off topic, but you should be fine with the water.

It's recommended in several ports that you only drink bottled water. However you have to beware of some street vendors that reuse the bottles and fill them with tap water, so be sure you check that it's sealed.

Thanks Karen. What about ice in cocktails? In Dominican Republic I drank bottled bud/coke for 5 days....and then after one frozen margarita I was dead for three days!!

We have had drinks with ice in both Negril and Ocho Rios with no problems. My only advice is if you snorkel in Jamaica, try to clean your snorkeling gear before putting it in your mouth. Last year we went snorkeling in Little Port Royal and they just pulled the snorkels out of a bucket!! I ended up having flu like syntoms for a couple of days. Not sure if they aren't cleaned well or if it was something else. While snorkeling in Cozumel, the snorkels came bagged with a wrapper and at least seemed cleaner...Totally off topic, but you should be fine with the water.

Snorkel bucket??:eek: Thanks BandM!

I have never had problems with the water in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, PV, Progreso, Cancun and many other places that I've visited.

These are all pretty high tourist traffic area and the understand that it's necessary to keep conditions and the water supply safe for US tummies!!

Have no fear... you'll be fine!

Now, having said that, you need to remember to take proper precautions on board ship to prevent contracting Noro...

I have never had problems with the water in Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, PV, Progreso, Cancun and many other places that I've visited.

These are all pretty high tourist traffic area and the understand that it's necessary to keep conditions and the water supply safe for US tummies!!

Have no fear... you'll be fine!

Now, having said that, you need to remember to take proper precautions on board ship to prevent contracting Noro...

Thanks so much Mach!! I guess on ship the best thing to do is washing hands frequently?? I'll bring Purell.

Snorkel bucket??:eek: Thanks BandM!

Yes, it was a 5 gallon bucket that they just pulled the snorkels out of!!!!:eek: This wasn't some out of the way attraction either...

Bring a refillable bottle fill up with water on ship . Purified ice cubes have holes in them or deep indentation that is how you know they are purified

I would not drink anything in DR or Jamaica but that;s just me

Beer should be safe

Be careful of mixes like Pina Colada -crushed ice is a no-no because you do not know what they use

Ask them to show you the bag the ice comes from It should say purified

I try to stick with ship drinks and food to be safe .I wait to get back on board to eat

Salads are REAL dangerous if washed with tap water

Some islands are more to our standards of cleanliness then others

I ate and drank in Barbados and was fine .Use caution and good judgment

Thanks Karen. What about ice in cocktails? In Dominican Republic I drank bottled bud/coke for 5 days....and then after one frozen margarita I was dead for three days!!

I would think anytime you add tequila, it's sterile. I did have a friend get very sick after Cozumel margaritas but it wasn't a high profile place. Stick to places recommended by the cruiseline. None of us had a bad experience at Rum Pointe or Nachi Cocom or Senor Frogs or Carlos n Charlies. OMG we're alkies!

OOPs forgot .Buy a snorkel They are not that expensive .We have All our snorkeling equipment including a mask with my prescription It is SO precious we carry it in our hand luggage

If you plan to snorkel buy your own equipment.I kept mine 20 years before I got prescription one and I just replaced my son's because he outgrew his .If you take care they do last

Go to a reputable store and get fitted properly

I think it is a great investment for future trips

I would think anytime you add tequila, it's sterile. I did have a friend get very sick after Cozumel margaritas but it wasn't a high profile place. Stick to places recommended by the cruiseline. None of us had a bad experience at Rum Pointe or Nachi Cocom or Senor Frogs or Carlos n Charlies. OMG we're alkies!

Highly informed alkies:p!!

I would avoid salads simply because lettuce is mostly made of water. You never know the growing conditions of the farm it was raised on. Remember the 2006 spinach e coli out break here? I'm pretty sure it was caused by the uncooked spinach. Just FYI!

I drank NA pina coladas in Cozumel and I was fine. I also drank iced tea as well.

OOPs forgot .Buy a snorkel They are not that expensive .We have All our snorkeling equipment including a mask with my prescription It is SO precious we carry it in our hand luggage

If you plan to snorkel buy your own equipment.I kept mine 20 years before I got prescription one and I just replaced my son's because he outgrew his .If you take care they do last

Go to a reputable store and get fitted properly

I think it is a great investment for future trips

I agree, this is what the DW and I do, for her b-day this year I got her a perscription mask and we can't be happier knowing we have all our own stuff no "snorkel bucket" for us :-)

Thanks so much Mach!! I guess on ship the best thing to do is washing hands frequently?? I'll bring Purell.

Yeah... hot water and soap. I've done a bit of research on this and there are hand sanitizers that will kill Noro with a 20 second exposure time but I can't find any that are conveniently portable.

Reports are that Purell is pretty much the same as other alcohol based sanitizers...

Yeah... hot water and soap. I've done a bit of research on this and there are hand sanitizers that will kill Noro with a 20 second exposure time but I can't find any that are conveniently portable.

Reports are that Purell is pretty much the same as other alcohol based sanitizers...

Mach - Do you know if Purell or other sanitizers are stationed in public areas of the Freedom? Thanks.

Is it safe to drink water, drinks with ice cubes, eat fruit rinsed with water, etc. on Caribbean Islands?? Specifically, we are going to Jamaica (Ocho Rios) and Grand Cayman.

However, it might be great for all to share their water experiences, safe or unsafe, wherever you have been in the Caribbean. Thanks!!

Perfectly fine water on almost all of the islands of the Caribbean.

Someone mentioned on another board that the antibacterial version of "Wet Ones" is effective in killing norvirus germs. We just bought some of them (the travel pack version) for our cruise next week....hope it works!

People don't necessarily get sick from drinking, or eating food products that have been prepared with 'dirty' water in other countries. It's just that our bodies are used to the 'flora and fauna' in our own local water where we live. When we travel to a different country, we may encounter water that contains elements that our bodies are not used to and have not adapted to, and we have a reaction to that. Some people aren't affected but because I am, I stick to bottled beer in port if I have a drink.

Perfectly fine water on almost all of the islands of the Caribbean.

The few bad instances I've witnesses were enough to make me not risk it. Even the "re-bottled" water I was sold was possibly safe, but I didn't take the chance.

I asked the same question in the Costa Maya boards a few days ago and only got a couple responses...

In 2007 I had a drink with ice in it in one of Majahuals beachside open bars. My fiance and I both ate the same meal, but he had a bottled beer. I was fine all day, but the next day, i could not leave the bed. I was miserable. I ASSUMED it was from the ice because that was the only thing we did differently the day before, I am quite aware that it could have been something else.

But I am going back this May and wanted to lay on the beach and have some frozen drinks, but I am afraid that this will happen to me again. I know that things are very much different there now, and I am hoping for the best!

So I will pose the same question here, anyone been to Majahual in Costa Maya lately and had a NON-bottled drink?

And before anyone flames me, I know that I can avoid it if I just DON'T have a drink, which I might not if things look fishy, but laying there with a frozen margarita sounds like paradise! :D

But to the OP, I have been to Grand Cayman twice now and it is very much Americanized, I think if you stick with popular bars and restaurants you will be fine. Definitely NOT a 3rd world country!

I asked the same question in the Costa Maya boards a few days ago and only got a couple responses...

In 2007 I had a drink with ice in it in one of Majahuals beachside open bars. My fiance and I both ate the same meal, but he had a bottled beer. I was fine all day, but the next day, i could not leave the bed. I was miserable. I ASSUMED it was from the ice because that was the only thing we did differently the day before, I am quite aware that it could have been something else.

But I am going back this May and wanted to lay on the beach and have some frozen drinks, but I am afraid that this will happen to me again. I know that things are very much different there now, and I am hoping for the best!

So I will pose the same question here, anyone been to Majahual in Costa Maya lately and had a NON-bottled drink?

And before anyone flames me, I know that I can avoid it if I just DON'T have a drink, which I might not if things look fishy, but laying there with a frozen margarita sounds like paradise! :D

But to the OP, I have been to Grand Cayman twice now and it is very much Americanized, I think if you stick with popular bars and restaurants you will be fine. Definitely NOT a 3rd world country!

Thanks EBallgrl....no one should flame because it could just as easily be ice in lemonade or iced tea!!

Archived