Paying for a River Cruise

Capeduo

I noticed on the Ocean Cruises there was a board on how people ay for the cruises they take. Most of the responses are in the $3-4,000 range. Would be interested in hearing how people pay for the $10,000 cruise. My husband and I have a difference of opinion. I think people take it out of savings,,,he thinks people charge it. Any coments?

There is an advantage of paying for a cruise via credit card. If something happens - like the company going belly-up - you always can get your money back whereas if you pay the company directly, your money is totally gone - unless there are a few pennys left that the trustee in bankruptcy disburses to all unsecured creditors, of which you would be one.

The other advantage is that you could get more (useless) miles on your credit card.

And if you don't like to be in debt to your credit card company, you can always pay them through your savings within the grace period to avoid interest charges!

I imagine almost all people pay by dredit card; however, I think the real question is "how do they pay the credit card bill when it comes"? A few fortunate people can pay the installments when due out of the funds they have, but most have to do it some way over time. Obviously, the really smart thing to do is to save the $100-200/month that you would otherwise pay a credit card company after the cruise until you have enough to take whatever vacation you like. That, way you never have to pay that high credit card interest. Hard to do, but worth the effort in $$ saved. Note also that you generally don't have to pay all at once - usually something like $500 pp when you make the reservation adn the balance so many days before the cruise.

I have booked several clients on $10,000+ cruises and the majority of the people doing it, pay the installments. Most of them could pay it outright, but it allows them to still pay the cruise on time and still make interest instead of giving it all to the cruise/tour company up front and let them make money on it.

I have always wanted to be nosey and ask them how they can afford it. I know most of their stories, but some of them just don't look the luxury-market type.

we decide when we want to go, then divide the total into weekly amounts and have it direct deposited to savings each pay day! so much nicer than paying interest on the credit cards. we use our debit card to guarantee our shipboard account...when we get home, everything is paid out and we start saving for the next trip.....only problem is...the trips are getting closer and closer together...this is addicting!

Beverly

Archived