Outfit idea for non-toned arms

H2O Mama

Like a number of ladies out there I don't have nicely toned upper arms...so have struggled with what to wear to dinner on my upcoming January cruise that won't negatively showcase my "Virginia hams" (okay...they aren't THAT bad but you get the picture...lol)

At SteinMart yesterday I found a beautiful delicate large-weave black silk evening pocho....with longer silk fringe and a delicate sparkling bead at every intersecting point. I am going to wear a black silk cami with spaghetti straps under it with some black palazzo pants. I actually found an outfit that looks very pretty, "breathes" and doesn't look like a muu-muu. Hallelujah!

Thought this might give a suggestion to others who are looking for something flattering to wear. They have a beautiful assortment of festive wraps and ponchos for the holidays.

Happy cruising to all and thanks for all of the great threads that have me excited for January! I'm more of a reader than a writer but appreciate them all :)

The idea of covering up your untoned arms is not an uncommon problem, and the poncho you describe does sound lovely. However, I personally stay away from the ponchos. I'm not a "little" girl, I'm a size 16, as are a number of my friends. Without exception, each one of them has taken on the "poncho" look and they inevitably look larger than they actually are while wearing a poncho. I believe a nicely fitted jacket or sweater or even a lacy, open-work shawl would disguise the arms I have, rather than a big poncho that tends to look more like I'm "blanketing" the problem. Just my humble opinion.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

very dressy, and as long as it hangs well and is not too stiff, great. i really dislike the stiff ones, even on kids...

for me, i also stay away from the ponchos and even shawls, too fussy. i have short and 3/4 length sleeves on all of my clothes. even formal tops and dresses have been carefully chosen to for suitable sleeve.

Great minds really DO think alike!! I tend to think I am a little too "old" for the current poncho trend, most look adorable on those skinny little things at the mall, but I wore them when I was a teenager too. That being said, I found a beautiful sheer dressy poncho to wear over a black silk tank and pants for my upcoming cruise. Sounds like we have the same thoughts. I doubt I will wear it anywhere else, but I do have another cruise coming up in February. Wear it and just enjoy!

Judy

I have a black cocktail dress, very plain and without sleeves which is actually cut high at the shoulders. I am one of your sisters who does not like to show my untoned arms but I do not care for those ponchos. I am on the look out for a sheer "shrug" type top. Something between a stole and a jacket. So far I have had no luck but I am still looking. I have a Steinmart in my area but they do not have what I am looking for.

I've been looking at that jacket for months---still haven't bought it! I have so many "cruise" clothes, I really don't need it. Did you see the Adrianna Pappel red beaded top--it also comes in blue---I just bought that. I really love it. Just got a pair of red duppioni silk pants from Talbots on Ebay for $19.99!!

Archived