Cabins for disabled????

Sushi

I use a Rollator to get around. I can walk on my own for short distances. Do I have to be in a wheelchair to book a disabled cabin?

Is it more expensive than the regular cabins?

No, you don't need to be in a wheelchair to book a handicap-accessible cabin, and they don't cost any more than a regular cabin.

Just so you know, there are very few handicap-accessible cabins on any of the ships, so you need to book very early -- months in advance, -- to assure that you'll get one. And they aren't in every "class" -- you'll not find many high-end suites, for example, that are handicap accessible. Nor are the most desireable locations (although they do try to have handicap-accessible cabins near elevators, for easier access.)

You might want to come over to the disabled cruise traveller board here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

where there are folks with alll kinds of first-hand expertise about this issue.

You say you use a rollator -- you might want to consider renting a power chair or scooter for your next cruise (assuming you book an accessible cabin!) You'll find it much easier to get around the ship, and not be so tired out at the end of the day!

I agree do come to the disablity forum on here. and they are not always near elevators, some of the newest ships have them in the oddest and most inconvenient places. I agree too on the rent a scooter idea, you can do so through approved vendors you need to call the cruiseline to see who they use. or if you have one you can bring your own, remember these ships are about 1000 feet long with MANY decks so getting around is not easy.

Archived