Best place for buying a gift

I have read through various posts, St Maarten is this best and cheapest place to buy some gifts. I would like to bring my son, (who will be 21 a couple of days after we return), a nice gift of a value around £100. We are taking him to Florida for his main gift but would like to give him something he can keep. As I haven't been on both these itinerarys I don't know if there will be anything to buy him duty free preferably. The obvious choice is a watch but he already has 2 rather expensive ones. He is starting his first full time job in September after doing his 4 years at university as an accountant, training for his Charter. So I was thinking of getting him something relating to this. Also wife definately needs another handbag as she only has 200!!!! lol. So will be looking for one of those as well. Does anyone have any tips on the best Island, place, shop to pick up these:confused:

Hi

I have been to and bought a few items in St. Maartens, and this is where I will be shopping this time as well.

Front street is packed with good shops duty and tax free.

My wife bought a diamond ring and bracelet, I bought a lens for my digital 35mm camera, both saving about half the UK prices.

Ron

We have bought a digital camera for ourselves and an ipod for my son's girlfriend at "Boolchands" on St. Maarten. They also have shops on Aruba, St. Thomas and Curacao. They have a website so you can have a look before you travel.

How about an Apple i-phone? My son has just treated himself to one and is tickled pink with it. It does absolutely everything apparently.

The last tender back to the ship when we were in St. Maarten was piled high with boxes of every sort of electrical goods purchased by the crew for themselves.

Carol x

:confused:Heavens, this is all way too complicated for me! I have just asked my son (24) for advice, and he says buying a phone abroad is not the best idea as it would be on a foreign network.

However, Apple i-phones are available in this country from Carphone Warehouse, Apple or O2 outlets, and only on the O2 network. All (so he says) will charge the same price which was £96 for the handset, charger, USB cable and earphones.

He is paying £42.50 a month which includes 600 minutes, unlimited WAP data ( mobile internet) and up to 3,000 texts.

There was a tariff for £35 a month but it didn't include many/enough texts.

Richard says it would be a brilliant present that anyone would be pleased to receive, but best bought in the U.K.

I'm not sure if this helps or not!

Carol x

I have read through various posts, St Maarten is this best and cheapest place to buy some gifts. I would like to bring my son, (who will be 21 a couple of days after we return), a nice gift of a value around £100. We are taking him to Florida for his main gift but would like to give him something he can keep. As I haven't been on both these itinerarys I don't know if there will be anything to buy him duty free preferably. The obvious choice is a watch but he already has 2 rather expensive ones. He is starting his first full time job in September after doing his 4 years at university as an accountant, training for his Charter. So I was thinking of getting him something relating to this. Also wife definately needs another handbag as she only has 200!!!! lol. So will be looking for one of those as well. Does anyone have any tips on the best Island, place, shop to pick up these:confused:

Hi Bigmantan

As everyone else says St Maaten St Maaten.

Boolchards for camera's laptops I pod's etc but don't forget to bargin approx. 20% off first price, and know English price before you go,also at last second before deal try to get add on's ie I got 4GB card added and tripod for the camera I bought last week, last year most things half english prices but due to $ not quite as good but still cheap,happy hunting,oh and one last thing send off guarantee or on line when you get home,we had small problem with a Bose Wave but there was no problem they fixed it F.O.C:)

Archived