Booking only 2 people in state room for initial reservation & adding 2 later?

I have a strange question I guess. DH and I want to take our kids on another 7 night cruise in November but are a little short on cash right now as he and I are cruising in 57 days. Would it work to our advantage to book us on the cruise we want and pay a $200 deposit vs. $400 and then add 2 of the kids later on down the line? Since 3/4 passenger rates are not all that much less than the first 2, we are hoping we won't get the short end of the stick. I am not trying to be cheap, just working with our cash flow. Any thoughts?

You can try. ;) You should have booked a few days ago when they had the reduced deposits (half price).

Here are my thoughts, as you asked. Booking now would get you the "preferred cabin". BUT, just be prepared that if the 3rd/4th capacity control kicks in, you will not be able to add them in later. If you think that you are going to add them in July for a Nov cruise, then you should be fine. :)

I would be adding them on in July, so plenty of time in advance. I looked into the booking and it seems to be ok to hold off. I just want to make sure we get a cabin in our preferred location.

You may think July is plenty of time in advance, but at popular times of year, the ships have been known to reach capacity for 3rd and 4th passengers, months in advance. I know that for some spring break and summer sailings in the past year, the ship reached maximum capacity over a year in advance. When this happens, it is usually for sailings when kids are out of school, like Thanksgiving, Christmas/New Years, President's Day, Spring Break, and the summer.

You may get lucky waiting until July, but you may not.

Also, remember that the deposit for a 7 night cruise is $250 per person, not $100 per person, so even to book 2 people you are looking at a $500 deposit.

I would be adding them on in July, so plenty of time in advance. I looked into the booking and it seems to be ok to hold off. I just want to make sure we get a cabin in our preferred location.

I would see a problem with this unless they won't let you book a room that sleeps 3 or 4 like the ones that have the pullman beds. I wanted to do the same thing you are doing and had to book a 3rd person even though I didn't know if that person was going. That was the only way they would let me have the room. You could also add the 4th later. A couple years ago I was able to book a room with the pullman beds with just 2 in a room, but it was on the Liberty which has more pullman rooms (I think).

Archived