Smuggling Beer

Sunflowers30

Hi all. My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in May. I am a beer drinker and want to know any tips/tricks for getting beer on board. A friend of ours just came back from a cruise and brought 3 cases of beer (in aluminium cans) on board in his checked luggage without a problem.....

Thanks for your help!!

~Brooke

Hi all. My husband and I will be taking our first cruise in May. I am a beer drinker and want to know any tips/tricks for getting beer on board. A friend of ours just came back from a cruise and brought 3 cases of beer (in aluminium cans) on board in his checked luggage without a problem.....

Thanks for your help!!

~Brooke

You already know the answer. Just do what your friend did. Although 3 cases is probably pushing your luck, even for checked luggage.

sunflower,

We have brought beer on every cruise. Just make sure that it is in your checked bag. If you bring three cases I would suggest that you split it between two suitcases otherwise it will be very heavy. Do remember that the only beer they serve in cans on the ship is coors light. If you bring on something different you run the risk of being caught with it. My husband was caught bringing his cooler with beer into the main showroom during the superbowl game on our last cruise. He got lucky! Security told him to keep it on the pool deck or in our room and he would be okay. They did tell him, that if he hadn't been honest with them that they would have taken him back to our room and dumped all of his beer out. :eek: Lesson learned he drank the rest of it in his designated spots. :D

I'm so glad this question was asked. Mainly pertaining to the beer. We are taking our 4 adult children on a cruise in February 2010 and they will drink beer. I can't imagine what the bar bill would be for the four of them and the two girlfriends. So, I suggested they bring their beer onboard with them. My husband and I always bring water, soda, vodka, rum and bloody mary mix. Never had a problem. We aren't big beer drinkers. Will there be any problems with breakage or exploding due to baggage handling onto the ship? Do we just bring the cases on as checked luggage? I think I read in one thread that someone brought the case on as checked luggage and stated that the ship did not offer their brand and they were allowed to bring it. Is it really that easy? Remember, the kids are 24, 23, 22 and 21. There is only one who is underage at 19 and she is the girlfriend. She has already been warned about the underage drinking. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks for your help!!

~Brooke

I'm sure you already have an answer to your question. If not, go to Carnival's website and look for "frequently asked questions".

Everything you need to know is right there....then you can do what you want.

On our cruise with the kids we will be going to Progreso, Yucatan and Cozumel, Mexico. This is the only one we are worried about. On our other cruises we will just buy the bucket of beer. Thanks.

I'm so glad this question was asked. Mainly pertaining to the beer. We are taking our 4 adult children on a cruise in February 2010 and they will drink beer. I can't imagine what the bar bill would be for the four of them and the two girlfriends. So, I suggested they bring their beer onboard with them. My husband and I always bring water, soda, vodka, rum and bloody mary mix. Never had a problem. We aren't big beer drinkers. Will there be any problems with breakage or exploding due to baggage handling onto the ship? Do we just bring the cases on as checked luggage? I think I read in one thread that someone brought the case on as checked luggage and stated that the ship did not offer their brand and they were allowed to bring it. Is it really that easy? Remember, the kids are 24, 23, 22 and 21. There is only one who is underage at 19 and she is the girlfriend. She has already been warned about the underage drinking. Any help is greatly appreciated!!!!

LorrieB - it needs to be in your checked luggage, and it will not explode. We have done this on all 4 of our cruises and never had a problem. We had friends who picked up a 12 pack at the last minute and tried to carry it on at the port and were told to take it back to the car or dump it out. I don't know about your stops in Mexico we have never tried that because we always had enough.

Boy....I'm a big beer drinker too...but my bags are usually so packed full of clothes...I could never even put ONE case of beer in there!

You are right, that is how my suitcase is too, but my husband could wear the same thing everyday if it meant he got his beer. ;) When we fly we use a large suitcase for my cloths and another large one with his and an extra duffel bag in it at the hotel all his clothes get transferred into the duffel bag to be checked on the ship. Then he has his "beer suitcase", last cruise he made me put some of my clothes in a duffel so he could put one of his three cases in my suitcase. For those that are going to flame me I drink alot of Frufru drinks so carnival got plenty of my money.

I saw someone suggest they bought a fridge pack of soda, carefully undid the end , replaced it with beer and glued the end back. Sounds like a lot of effort but better safe than sorry ;) Beer can coozies will cover the brand of beer so drink away in public places :)

Although I do understand the reason for "Bringing your own" due to cost saving measures, but am truely amazed at the length people will go to save a few $$$'s !

Does anyone else think the cruiselines read these message boards and are getting tipped off to some extent to start watching this more closely ? :confused: Just curious.

How about wine? We just got back from NCL Majesty and they confiscated every bottle from checked suitcases - the reason I know this is that my brother tried and got caught, when we went to the holding area there were about 75 people there as well getting a reciept for their wine as well.......they did get it back the morning we were leaving!

How about wine? We just got back from NCL Majesty and they confiscated every bottle from checked suitcases - the reason I know this is that my brother tried and got caught, when we went to the holding area there were about 75 people there as well getting a reciept for their wine as well.......they did get it back the morning we were leaving!

Wine is ok to be brought onboard (stated as 1 bottle per person but often exceeded !) and can be brought with carry on luggage as well as checked luggage. NCL is much stricter on their policy regarding WIne than Carnival is.

i don't see why you have to go to such lengths to bring beer onto the ship. Just get yourself a half keg and wheel it on board. If you bring plastic cups you could sell beer out by the pool and maybe.......just maybe.....earn enough to pay for your cruise.

lol

Folks need to realize also that all the Cruise Lines really crack down during Spring Break.

One year New Orleans cracked down during the main 2 weeks of Spring Break and were removing liquor and beer from the CHECKED luggage.

So just remember, it can happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Quick question for all of you...

How is everyone keeping their beer cold on the ship??

Cooler and ice??

I bought a cooler like this from wal mart I seen last week they are making some smaller that hold 24 cans plus ice these fold down to about the size of a pizza box. I tip the room steward some cash to keep it full of ice and a few times he was putting my warm beers in with fresh ice!

http://www.thermos.com/Product_detail.aspx?CatCode=COOL&SubcategoryID=52&ViewAll=true&ProductID=869

Lonnie

Archived