car rental Miami to Fort Lauderdale

Joie

Has anyone rented a car to drive to Fort Lauderdale after you dock in Miami?

I saw on another board that someone got a $42 price from Hertz....BUT when I called today I was quoted $19.45 for ONE-DAY...April 4th.

I've never paid that much for a car for a day...almost not for a week!!!

Any help out there?

Has anyone rented a car to drive to Fort Lauderdale after you dock in Miami?

I saw on another board that someone got a $42 price from Hertz....BUT when I called today I was quoted $19.45 for ONE-DAY...April 4th.

I've never paid that much for a car for a day...almost not for a week!!!

Any help out there?

Yea, you're being charged a big one way drop fee....

Apparently more folks go Miami to Ft Lauderdale than the other direction.... so they have to pay retired guys to drive them back to Miami.

I did both ways, FLL to MIA pre-cruise and then MIA to FLL post-cruise. We had a convertible for 3 days pre for $75 and then just an economy for $30 post. We did Dollar precruise and Budget for the return, it was just cheaper that way. Check for discount codes for your dates, we saved a bundle with a code OOAG with Dollar and its just a code from some FL visitors guide.

Go to Mousesavers.com and try the codes listed there for the different rental agencies. We do this all the time, fly into and out of FLL and cruise from Miami. It lets you take the free shuttle to and from MIA. We have never paid drop fees, as they are waived under some of the codes.:)

I booked a car today thru AVIS and paying about $47...no one way drop fee. Other agencies charged $25 to drop. Give it a shot. When I tried to use a promo code I got a higher rate.

Good luck

• 3 weeks later...

got a mini-van from Dollar with a promo code from the web....$89.00 includes all the fees for the day....including 1 way drop off.

Do they pick you up at the pier? Where do we meet them....cars are not there so we must have to go downtown or somewhere to get the car..........any info appreaciated.

If you rent at a rental counter not in an airport you can beat some taxes and surcharges. Last month after debarking from the Destiny we took the free Hertz shuttle from the Port to Hertz on First St in Miami. We spent the day in Fort Lauderdale with family and later returnerd the car to FLL & flew home.

got a mini-van from Dollar with a promo code from the web....$89.00 includes all the fees for the day....including 1 way drop off.

Do they pick you up at the pier? Where do we meet them....cars are not there so we must have to go downtown or somewhere to get the car..........any info appreaciated.

If I recall, there is only 1 car rental place that picks up at POM. I think it was AVIS (at last when I last cruised this was true). Plus, I had to call for a shuttle and waited about 45 minutes in the sun & heat.

Just do some homework on who you rent from. I had to make several phone calls.

Where do you pick up the car?

You set the rental location when you make the reservation. Every major car rental agency has about a zillion locations in Miami.

ok....I called and was told we need to walk out to the road...NOW what does that mean? I asked what road and she said it wasn't far.....anybody else know anything about this? I tried the Budget code and it doesn't work anymore.

ok....I called and was told we need to walk out to the road...NOW what does that mean? I asked what road and she said it wasn't far.....anybody else know anything about this? I tried the Budget code and it doesn't work anymore.

Hmmm... I think "to the road" must mean to the drive entrance of the POM. Shuttles have to pay some kind of a fee when they exit. It would be a pain with a lot of luggage unless you just have a wheelie bag. It is not a far walk... 10 minutes? My husband and I walked from Bayside to the ship between 2 cruises and back to Bayside after a cruise and it was 35 minutes maybe. Bayside is a cool shopping area.

However, we are both letter carriers so it did not seem like much of a walk to us and we did not have luggage!

Archived