$5.00 For A Red Stripe??

jbroons

Thanks G'ma...that sounds awesome (the Ocho Rios jerk chicken-red stripe part);).

Honestly.....this is a great little place....and most people pass it by to head for Margaritaville where they'll sell you overpriced drinks and jerked chicken for 20.00.......

I usually stop there on my way out for a cold one and a nice lunch, then stop on the way back to cool off with another cold one.

FYI: I've been traveling frequently to Jamaica for over 30 years...both land vacations and cruises. I've never felt threatened. Sure, many times you will be offered drugs...but if you just smile, say no and pass on by, they aren't going to follow you down the street.... Same with the street vendors.....smile and decline..and keeping walking.

It's a shame that many folks never get beyond the ports and the high-pressure salesmen that hang around. Jamaica is a beautiful place with friendly people, nice beaches, good restaurants. For the past 15-20 years, I've been traveling solo and have never felt afraid on that island...

People would be amazed, I think, if they just loosened up, put a smile on the face, say good morning, learn how to say "no, thank you" without fear.....

Honestly.....this is a great little place....and most people pass it by to head for Margaritaville where they'll sell you overpriced drinks and jerked chicken for 20.00.......

I usually stop there on my way out for a cold one and a nice lunch' date=' then stop on the way back to cool off with another cold one.

FYI: I've been traveling frequently to Jamaica for over 30 years...both land vacations and cruises. I've never felt threatened. Sure, many times you will be offered drugs[b']...but if you just smile, say no and pass on by, they aren't going to follow you down the street.... Same with the street vendors.....smile and decline..and keeping walking.[/b]

Wrong........they will and do follow you and get in your face......been there done that several times.......a simple no thank you will not work for the majority of them.......

Could be they choose not to harrass the elderly:confused::D

I agree with Dan40 regarding the people and I will also throw in the people of Antigua:rolleyes:

No thanks!

those are often-times the best bars of all.....kinda like the "real" pubs in london or ireland. An analogy would be a dirty "greasy spoon" that serves the best breakfast imaginable...with no gratuity up-front;).

lmao

If my cruise goes to Jamaica should I really have to pay $5.00 for a Red Stripe while on the ship?? What do you think??

http://unofficialcarnivalwiki.com/index.php?title=Bar_Menu#

Not only that, but I just happened to be sitting by the aft bar when I guy ordered a red stripe, they wouldn't let him have it in the bottle, he was ticked too, he argued, but they said "no way" so he had to drink it out of a glass:( poor guy.

However my bare feet thank the cruise line for not sending out bottled beer to the unwashed masses. JK

Carole

Not only that, but I just happened to be sitting by the aft bar when I guy ordered a red stripe, they wouldn't let him have it in the bottle, he was ticked too, he argued, but they said "no way" so he had to drink it out of a glass:( poor guy.

However my bare feet thank the cruise line for not sending out bottled beer to the unwashed masses. JK

Carole

Was the "glass" he was forced to drink it in actually glass or plastic?

Was the "glass" he was forced to drink it in actually glass or plastic?

When we were on the Elation we noticed they were selling Dos Equis in the Cole Porter lounge.....cool!

We ordered a couple and he poured them in a "glass":eek: (not plastic) I said WTH:confused:

He said it was Carnivals law:confused: Made absolutely no sense.....we didn't order anymore:rolleyes:

When we were on the Crown Princess we drank beer by the buckets all day by the pool in glass bottles......

When we were on the Elation we noticed they were selling Dos Equis in the Cole Porter lounge.....cool!

We ordered a couple and he poured them in a "glass":eek: (not plastic) I said WTH:confused:

He said it was Carnivals law:confused: Made absolutely no sense.....we didn't order anymore:rolleyes:

When we were on the Crown Princess we drank beer by the buckets all day by the pool in glass bottles......

Maybe they figure idiots would throw bottles into the ocean, whereas if you have a glass you might be less inclined.

Carole

The "NO GLASS" rule is only on the pool decks. The bars inside the ship, lobby, sports bar, etc. will serve a 'glass' glass with your beer and in the glass bottle if it comes that way. On some ships they have draft beer in those bars. [in real glass]

By the way, NO BEER is brewed to be drank from the bottle. They are all made to be poured into a glass with some head.

Dan

Dis bes a rully dumb beertender. The beer should be served with a glass, and the customer decides to use it or not. Proper is to use the glass, but some wish to drink their beer their way.

He got a big xtra tip, no doubt.

Dan

Thank you;) And speaking of good food, and beer, I assume that you kinda like bar-b-q being in Fort Worth & all!!

Definitely, I ate at one of my favorite BBQ spots last night and enjoyed a Rahr and Sons beer (brewed right here in Fort Worth).

That is absolutely absurd!

The "NO GLASS" rule is only on the pool decks. The bars inside the ship, lobby, sports bar, etc. will serve a 'glass' glass with your beer and in the glass bottle if it comes that way. On some ships they have draft beer in those bars. [in real glass]

By the way, NO BEER is brewed to be drank from the bottle. They are all made to be poured into a glass with some head.

Dan

Yeah but Dan, a lot of people love beer from the bottle...like my sister, for example. Not me though...I like head;)

I love Jamaica! Buy it while you're there and carry it back on in a duffle bag for the rest of the week.

Last time I was in Jamaica (2007) We bought two 6 packs of RS and put it in my beach bag. It was so heavy I had my then 16 yr old son carry it up to the check point on land. They asked me what was in the bag and I said "beer'" and i was on my way to the ship. I put the beach bag through x-ray and nobody said a thing. Just a note .. it wasn't cheap but not $5 a bottle:rolleyes: I think it was $12 a 6 pack in a store really close to the port :)

Its probably a factor of where I live, but I can't imagine going into any bar and paying less than $5 for a bottle of beer ? ? ? :confused: (in Manhattan in a nice bar on Broadway, I paid $11 for a bottle of Corona . . . several times ! ! ) :rolleyes:

Throw in all the extras that a cruise ship offers and I see it as a friggin' bargain ! !

Its probably a factor of where I live, but I can't imagine going into any bar and paying less than $5 for a bottle of beer ? ? ? :confused: (in Manhattan in a nice bar on Broadway, I paid $11 for a bottle of Corona . . . several times ! ! ) :rolleyes:

Throw in all the extras that a cruise ship offers and I see it as a friggin' bargain ! !

Hey Gary - What "extras" does a cruise ship offer that we are not already paying for? Just curious.

PS In NYC, if you didn't have the lime in your Corona it would have only been $9.00;)

I totally disagree with all the negatives about Jamaica. It was, by far, my favorite cruise port on my last cruise. But that's just my personality, I spent time living in Africa so much of the "negatives" listed here really didn't bother me at all! I love experiencing new and different cultures, part of the reason I love traveling is to get away from my everyday. So, don't read negative reviews and be afraid to get off the ship in Jamaica, everybody had different experiences and while I understand why it's not some people's thing, you might be the one who loves it! Get off, give it a try, if you're like me, you will get back from your cruise and think about Jamaica as the most memorable and beautiful island.... if not, then you'll get home knowing you don't want to return, really no worse for the wear. You can even get right back on the ship so you're not exactly stuck with no way to get back for the rest of the day or anything. We did a tour with Phil Lafayfette as well and LOVED it, I HIGHLY recommend Dunn's River Falls, it was a GREAT experience!!!! Here's the link for his site if you want to check it out!

Anyways.... lol that doesn't say a thing abut $5.00 for a Red Stripe now does it... hahaha just had to throw in my experience in Jamaica so you don't think it's all bad : )

Megan

Having used that line many times, I'll make no further comment.

This may get pulled,

Do you realize that President Obama signed the Stimulus package at the very same desk where President Clinton got his package stimulated?

DaDum!

Dan

Talk about coincidence.

In the same week Siegfried and Roy performed for the first time in 5 years with the very same tiger that mauled Roy, Singer Rhianna went back to her boyfriend Chris Brown .

I guess it was a good week for abusive animals :(

I totally disagree with all the negatives about Jamaica. It was, by far, my favorite cruise port on my last cruise. But that's just my personality, I spent time living in Africa so much of the "negatives" listed here really didn't bother me at all! I love experiencing new and different cultures, part of the reason I love traveling is to get away from my everyday. So, don't read negative reviews and be afraid to get off the ship in Jamaica, everybody had different experiences and while I understand why it's not some people's thing, you might be the one who loves it! Get off, give it a try, if you're like me, you will get back from your cruise and think about Jamaica as the most memorable and beautiful island.... if not, then you'll get home knowing you don't want to return, really no worse for the wear. You can even get right back on the ship so you're not exactly stuck with no way to get back for the rest of the day or anything. We did a tour with Phil Lafayfette as well and LOVED it, I HIGHLY recommend Dunn's River Falls, it was a GREAT experience!!!! Here's the link for his site if you want to check it out!

Anyways.... lol that doesn't say a thing abut $5.00 for a Red Stripe now does it... hahaha just had to throw in my experience in Jamaica so you don't think it's all bad : )

Megan

Hi Megan - (my grandmother (her last name was Hanham) is from newfoundland & I really want to go there soon!)

Anyway, I am really looking forward to Jamaica,,,,we are doing Dunn's & Bamboo Beach Club. However, taping the Red Stripe to my legs seems a little tricky/uncomfortable and somewhat dangerous.

Where in Africa were you living and for how long?

Hi Megan - (my grandmother (her last name was Hanham) is from newfoundland & I really want to go there soon!)

Anyway, I am really looking forward to Jamaica,,,,we are doing Dunn's & Bamboo Beach Club. However, taping the Red Stripe to my legs seems a little tricky/uncomfortable and somewhat dangerous.

Where in Africa were you living and for how long?

I think you will have a good time in Jamaica. I have only been to Mo Bay, but will be going to Ochos Rios on my Oct. cruise.

Yes the people are pushy and in your face, more so I have found than most, but never had one I couldn't deal with by holding up my hand and saying "No Thanks" and walking away

ENJOY:)

By the way , where in CT are you? I am in Stratford :)

Talk about coincidence.

In the same week Siegfried and Roy performed for the first time in 5 years with the very same tiger that mauled Roy, Singer Rhianna went back to her boyfriend Chris Brown .

I guess it was a good week for abusive animals :(

Hey babyher...what does that have to do with Clinton or Red Stripe??;)

And with all due respect after Chris Brown beat Rhianna's face, she kinda looked like Roy after his mauling.

Hey babyher...what does that have to do with Clinton or Red Stripe??;)

And with all due respect after Chris Brown beat Rhianna's face, she kinda looked like Roy after his mauling.

well nothing

Just heard that joke this week and the comparison between stimulous package and package stimulous and abusive animals ........as Emily Litella used to say on SNL....never mind *LOL*

Archived