Tulum Mayan Ruin Tour (on your own)

crusoe97

Hi. My husband and I are going on NCL Pearl Western Caribbean on March 29 til April 5. We're planning to go to Tulum on our own when the ship docks at Cozumel. I did my research already from riding the ferry to Playa del Carmen to riding the collectivo (bus) down to Tulum and it's a lot cheaper doing it on your own rather than booking it through NCL. My question is...is it safe to travel on your own? And if there are other passengers planning to do this tour, would you guys wanna go together as a group? Let us know, so we can plan it. Thanks.

Hi. My husband and I are going on NCL Pearl Western Caribbean on March 29 til April 5. We're planning to go to Tulum on our own when the ship docks at Cozumel. I did my research already from riding the ferry to Playa del Carmen to riding the collectivo (bus) down to Tulum and it's a lot cheaper doing it on your own rather than booking it through NCL. My question is...is it safe to travel on your own? And if there are other passengers planning to do this tour, would you guys wanna go together as a group? Let us know, so we can plan it. Thanks.

We are doing the Spirit on those same days. We sailed on the Pearl last May. I hope you enjoy it, we did!

Your question was, is it safe to travel on your own? My answer would have to be NO. On previous post I have said that the Texas military forces have been forbidden to go to Mexico for any reason unless authorized to do so as of 2/22. As of yesterday, the instructions are still unchanged.

I did see on CNN website that they are posting thousands of troups along the Juarez border. Hopefully, that will help out in El Paso. Things are rough down there according to my sister who has to travel there for business.

Keep in mind that Mexico is composed of more 'independent' states, than the US. In fact, to cross from Quintana Roo to Yucatan, you go through a border crossing that looks more like el Paso. Armed Federales and the like. Tourist busses are of course sent along very quickly. Most of the troubles are in the western states, and along the border. The Yucatan Peninsula is fairly safe, as long as you stay with a group - and avoid immoral activity. If you go looking for trouble, you will find it.

Aside from all the current travel warnings, I would not do this on my own because Tulum is not that close to Playa del Carmen. Given the distance and travel time involved it's too risky a venture to try on your own for a cruise ship excursion.

No not at all, at least not in this part of the Yucatan Peninsula. You have to remember Mexico is a large country with many regions that are not all the same . I myself would be scared to set foot in Juarez(and this is my home town) or Tijuana. But not in Yucatan it is pretty safe there, my friend just came back from Yucatan he visited multiple Mayan ruins on his own with a rental car(I don't who he did it since he does not speak a word of Spanish). He had the time of his life and not ever did he fear for his safety. So safety should not be an issue in this region granted you don't go looking for trouble.

Aside from all the current travel warnings, I would not do this on my own because Tulum is not that close to Playa del Carmen. Given the distance and travel time involved it's too risky a venture to try on your own for a cruise ship excursion.

I have to agree with richters. I did a ship tour to Tulum from Calica and it really isn't that close. When you add the added time from Playa and then the ferry from Coz, there are just too many places where things can go wrong. Take the ship tour to Tulum if offered or stay on Coz.

Tulum is one of the most amazing sights we have ever seen. Just breath taking. As much as I want you to be able to see it, there is NO WAY I would do this one on my own. It is way to far, and you have to rely on so many different variables and the chances of missing the ship are just too great. If you missed the ship the money you saved would be peanuts compared to what you would be out then. Do some other excursions on your own, but not this one.

Because of hurricane damage to Cozumel a few years back, we had to dock in a random port (somewhere south of Playa del Carmen) ... we rented a Jeep and drove to Tulum and it was still a pretty substantial trip. To do Tulum from Cozumel (which might not by my first choice, but if you do really want to see Tulum and don't think you'll have another chance, it is awesome!), I would recommend the ship excursion. I don't recommend ship excursions alot, but based on the distance, I would here...

We did the ship tour to Tulum, and we were late getting back. The ship had to wait on us. I would not advise taking this tour on your own. Not only missing the ship you have to worry about, but your own safety is a huge concern. I would think the cost of the tour would be worth not taking any risks that you sure do not need to take. It is a long distance, and I would not even think of taking the tour on my own. But that is my own personal opinion, you can take it for what it is worth. But it is guaranteed that the ship will wait on you if you book through them and that is a plus, and your own person security is another plus. It is a beautiful place to visit, and amazing how the did actually build these buildings. You will not be disappointed.

We hardly ever book a ship tour, but Tulum is one tour that I would, unless your ship is in port very, very late. (We once were on a ship that was in port until 11 PM, so it does happen).

Tulum if beautiful and a very worthwhile trip, but long and far from the port. Also, the ferry ride can be a little rocky. It's the only excursion I ever got sea-sick on.

Also, the ferry ride can be a little rocky. It's the only excursion I ever got sea-sick on.

You Too! I thought that it was a rough ride and made me a little green! The only other "beef" I had was the boxed lunch the ship provided. It was tuna chunk light.....for me "YUCK"! Had no idea until I opened it up for lunch....fortunately there were concession stands at the ruins:) Not like missing a meal would've hurt me:p

Hi there!!:)

I would book this one through NCL...

Way to far...been there done that...the bus is to slow.. and the taxi drivers...think they're going to a FIRE!!:rolleyes:

and the ship will leave U....

Archived