International Calling Cards

rharvey999

We bought them at jamaica and cozumel last year. They were at the international calling stations near the pier. Our cruise compass had directions, and I also searched the forums board for the ports of call I was visiting to see if anyone had already posted directions. If not, you might post that question on your ports of call boards or do a search there to see if its been answered already.

I've read posts and heard from others that the cards you buy from walmart/sam's allow you to call from the US to foreign countries, but not vice versa, so be sure what you are buying! I've read many posts where people's cards didn't work when they got on their cruise, and they had to buy a local card in the country.

The MCI cards you get at Costco allow you to call to/from the United States to/from 99% of the world. The islands are included. I am sure the Sams cards are the same. Don't pay the higher prices for the cards on the islands - buy before you go.

I have used the calling cards from Sam's for years. Have used one from Norway to call the US. All you have to do is call their information line and ask for the local access number and dialing instructions for the place you are calling from. The card at Sam's is an AT&T calling card. I suspect the Costco card is the same, but I'm not sure if the price per minute is higher if you get a card from Walmart or somewhere else. My card is 3.47 cents/minute. When you are dialing internationally, you use additional minutes per minute spoken. For instance, if I call the US from Barbados, I will use 12 minutes of call time for every minute on the phone. From Puerto Rico or St. Thomas, it's one minute for every minute on the phone (yea!)

Archived