Kona - need advice for 2nd part of day

cruiser123cba

Hello to all. We'll be in Kona for one day on our cruise. We are doing a half day snorkeling tour...about 4 hours. What do you recommend doing for the rest of the day? We don't plan to rent a car for just half a day but are willing to take cabs or walk to any interesting sites, beaches, etc. Thanks!

It's funny, but after a cruise it gets harder and harder to remember what we did on every single day. One thing we do remember is that we were driving around Kona, and we stopped in some small town and had the BEST coffee ice cream we have ever eaten. That we do remember that very well. It may be worth renting a car, even for 1/2 a day, if you just want to ride around and enjoy the sites. You never know what you may find.

It's funny, but after a cruise it gets harder and harder to remember what we did on every single day. One thing we do remember is that we were driving around Kona, and we stopped in some small town and had the BEST coffee ice cream we have ever eaten. That we do remember that very well. It may be worth renting a car, even for 1/2 a day, if you just want to ride around and enjoy the sites. You never know what you may find.

What are the other 'big' sites in Kona? Not sure if it's worth it to rent a car for 1/2 a day. Any great places in Kona we would take a cab or bus to?

Kona is the perfect place to stroll around town and town is right there when you get off the tender. It is built along the waterfront and there are all kinds of shops and restaurants. One of our favorites is a stop at the Kona Inn for a Mai Tai at the open air bar overlooking the water. From here you will also get a great photo op of the POA. Also in town are several historic sights....a church and the Queen's summer palace. I believe the palace is closed to tours right now (but I could be wrong) as they repair the extensive damage from the big earthquake a couple of years ago. But the setting is beautiful.

There is also a place right there near the pier where you can get a a great shave ice....Scandinavian Shave Ice. There are little coffee shops where you can taste the different brews and enjoy a cup while watching the world go by from a table along the main drag. Have fun!

• Administrators
Kona is the perfect place to stroll around town and town is right there when you get off the tender. It is built along the waterfront and there are all kinds of shops and restaurants. One of our favorites is a stop at the Kona Inn for a Mai Tai at the open air bar overlooking the water. From here you will also get a great photo op of the POA. Also in town are several historic sights....a church and the Queen's summer palace. I believe the palace is closed to tours right now (but I could be wrong) as they repair the extensive damage from the big earthquake a couple of years ago. But the setting is beautiful.

There is also a place right there near the pier where you can get a a great shave ice....Scandinavian Shave Ice. There are little coffee shops where you can taste the different brews and enjoy a cup while watching the world go by from a table along the main drag. Have fun!

I agree with Kapaho2 -- Kona's a great place just to roam around the downtown area (unlike some of the other ports in Hawaii, which tend to be more industrial, the tender ports of Lahaina and Kona have stuff right by the tender pier of interest to visitors). I wanted to add that the King Kamehameha Hotel (yards from where the tenders dock in Kona) has a lot of interesting historic information/sites -- http://www.konabeachhotel.com/history.html

Just returned from POA--I had reserved a rental car for every port but ended up canceling the Kona car---we had spent so much time traveling that I gave the kids - and my husband a break. There was great snorkeling right at the pier. Shops were within walking distance...weather was terrific and everyone wanted to have a beach day at this point in our cruise.

Not much to see outside of Kona, even with a car, the drives are long to get anywhere worth seeing (like Hawi or upcountry, Wailea). Try to find MacNutPie. Made and sold there locally, if you like Pecan Pie, you will like this twist on it.

Archived