What's a 12 y.o. to do after 11pm?

lisid

Wait a minute though folks. I'm sorry but many of you are blowing this way, way out of line. The OP specifically asked about things they could do WITH their child after 11 pm while waiting for the older child to finish the teen club activities. The teen club...again, not roaming all around the ship causing havoc....an organized activity.

We're not talking about a parent here who is allowing their teen to stay out all night long hanging with friends or allowing a preteen to prowl around the ship unattended. Everyone agrees that is a bad idea and shouldn't happen. and I'm the first one in line to say that there's no excuse for bad parenting. But that's not the case here and I think that the OP is really getting beat up on for something she has NO intention of allowing

I also think that telling someone when their child should be in bed is ludicrous. To each his own. As long as the kids aren't infringing on your vacation, it's really not anyone's business what time someone puts their kid gets to bed. And as far as the comments about leaving kids home? Well, I'm not even going near that one.

Really folks, lighten up. All the OP did was ask a polite question.

CG

:DThanks CruisnGram..I wish you were going to be on our trip...You sound delightful!:D

And I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with you. If the child is supervised and the parent wants to sit out by the pool with them till 4 am, why do you have a problem with that? Honestly, not to be rude, but it's really none of your business to dictate that someone else's child should be in their cabin by a specific time. As long as they are not interfering with your vacation or disturbing you.

CG

That is your opinion....you have yours.....I have mine. End game.....as it is not up to you to dictate my opinion.

:DThanks CruisnGram..I wish you were going to be on our trip...You sound delightful!:D

I hope you do have a great family cruise. Pay attention to your kids and the rest of the passengers will appreciate it too. It is like I said before......when parents get in their head that they are on vacation and throw common sense to the wind....that things go bad. Remember that there are others wanting to enjoy their cruise experience too....and all will be well.

I have no problem with that--after 11pm, SUPERVISION is the key--or they should be in their cabins.

As I said before, late nights on a cruise ship are simply NOT SAFE for a kid, especially a pre-teen.

Hey, I agree with 99%. The 1% that I don't agree with is that your statement should be that kids should be supervised at ALL times, not just after 11 pm. Kids can get into unsafe situations or annoy the heck out of people in broad daylight too if unsupervised. :).

CG

I'd love to meet you and your family also. We're "almost" on the same cruise...we are on the Majesty on June 21st...just about a month before you. :)

CG

Those are also good points that I agree with!

edited to add......no I actually would not put up with kids in hot tubs. Ever had hot water suddenly in your eyes cause a kid jumps up from under water? I dont go in the hot tubs any more because of it.

No I actually haven't but I have had to listen to disgusting jokes told by inebriated men..... I think the point has been made- NCL is family friendly. Families have the right to raise their children as they see fit (as long as it does not interfere with others), anyone who doesn't see it that way belongs on another line.

I am rarely in the hot tub and when I am, I am in there with my kids, supervising them, and I reserve the right to do that at 11 pm if I want to. Kids are full fare for those of you who don't travel with them ( and no they are not 3rd and 4th passengers in my case-I have 4 children and either get them an inside across the hall or a connecting balcony) and have every much a right to be there as the drunk adults!

To the OP, we have gone to the game room (they love that), gone in the hot tub, watched movies in the rooms, hit the end of the buffet for deserts and of course our all time favorite gone to Blue Lagoon for plates of french fries!

That is your opinion....you have yours.....I have mine. End game.....as it is not up to you to dictate my opinion.

Uh, no its not up to me to dictate your opinion. But I am allowed to disagree with it am I not? That's simply all I did.

CG

Well as long as you are with your child do whatever you want--As to late shows, just check to see it the entertainment is suitable for children, some of the comedians are NOT... Sit around the pool, watch the stars and have some hot chocolate or something...a bit of one on one time is always great for kids, and doesn't always happen too frequently, get a game or bring cards....Have fun!

JUST SO EVERYONE IS AWARE.....Our kids are ALWAYS under our supervision...this is their vacation also, and I do plan on allowing them some free time away from us in the Kids/Teen clubs, and also during the day at lunch time (I'm hoping they'll enjoy one anothers company and together time also).

They will not be ROAMING the ship until all hours. But I do see about an hour or two gap between the time the "kid" club ends and the time the "teen" club ends...therefore I'm just trying to see what we'll do TOGETHER. I PROMISE I won't let him fall asleep on deck waiting for me to finish drinking...wow!:eek:

Ok, so I read a few of the 1st responses and I think people should have read a little more carefully. The OP asks what options are available for them to do WITH their 12 yr old child while 16 yr old is still having fun. Perhaps they want to be out and about to "keep an eye" out for 16 yr old, thus reading or watching a movie in the cabin would not be the best option.

That being said, our dd is younger than that so we usually head to the cabin between 10 and 11. We usually order some sort of snack for room service and talk about our day, what are favorite thing was that day, etc. Not everyone's cup of tea though and maybe when our dd is older, it won't be ours.

But some options could be playing a game (cards, mad libs, uno, crosswords, word search, puzzle, etc) on deck or in Blue Lagoon, hanging out for the late night party in the kids club, late night snack, etc.

If you are looking for organized activities, I am not sure if there would be anything except the kids club.

CruisnGram,

Iwas typing while you replied. Looks like you and I are about the only ones who noticed the same thing.:)

Oh I'm gonna get pounded for this and I'm alread bruised, but...............

great minds think alike! :p

CG

JUST SO EVERYONE IS AWARE.....Our kids are ALWAYS under our supervision...this is their vacation also, and I do plan on allowing them some free time away from us in the Kids/Teen clubs, and also during the day at lunch time (I'm hoping they'll enjoy one anothers company and together time also).

They will not be ROAMING the ship until all hours. But I do see about an hour or two gap between the time the "kid" club ends and the time the "teen" club ends...therefore I'm just trying to see what we'll do TOGETHER. I PROMISE I won't let him fall asleep on deck waiting for me to finish drinking...wow!:eek:

Sounds like you have control of the situation... The only place I would be concerned IMHO is that you have not addressed what you want your children to see and do on a cruise.... But you seem to be saying that you want your children to enjoy being on a cruise ship and staying up late... with you... That would seem to say that you have no plans to visit the places the ship docks several days a week... and that is fine... your children your choice on how they can spend their vacation time...

I hope you do have a great family cruise. Pay attention to your kids and the rest of the passengers will appreciate it too. It is like I said before......when parents get in their head that they are on vacation and throw common sense to the wind....that things go bad. Remember that there are others wanting to enjoy their cruise experience too....and all will be well.

And that's what the OP had in mind all along.

Quite a few posters "went off the deep end" with all sorts of suggestions and opinions. Maybe her original question was a tad confusing but it was unfair for everyone to jump to certain conclusions (that the parents wanted to dump the child somewhere or let them run free) without asking the OP to clarify.

I'm reading that around 11 things tend to get a little "adult" & the teen club can hang until later than the tween club...will there be anything for us to do with our 12 y.o. until our teen (16) is done his "partying".?????

Why don't you get the kid a bottle of schnapps, and order some adult movies on the pay per view for him. That ought to keep the boy quiet for a while; freeing the evening up for you.

Why don't you get the kid a bottle of schnapps, and order some adult movies on the pay per view for him. That ought to keep the boy quiet for a while; freeing the evening up for you.

Ridiculous post since the OP has made it quite clear what their intentions are and never said anything about wanting an evening to themselves. Did you read any responses or did you just hit reply after reading the first post?:rolleyes:

I can honestly say that for the very first time, I'm in total shock at some of these comments. I thought I'd seen it all on CC, but obviously not. And people jump all over me and some others for being overly critical of someone's ship review? Amazing, simply amazing.

CG

For those who want a cruise without children on board....I would rather deal with children in hot tubs or roaming the ship than a childish adult....

I want a cruise without

... intoxicated adults

... deck chair hogging adults

... breast oggling men

... cue jumpers (at buffet or disembarking at ports)

... grumpy people who aren't happy with anything (regardless of age)

I do not let my children roam the ship without supervision. Maybe those of you travelling with obnoxious adults would afford us the same courtesy and appropriately supervise these childish adults.

You are correct on everything except the criticism of "breast oogling men". I think "breast oogling men" are just misunderstood. The oogling is more like a scientific study. Really, its performing a community service.

I can honestly say that for the very first time, I'm in total shock at some of these comments. I thought I'd seen it all on CC, but obviously not. And people jump all over me and some others for being overly critical of someone's ship review? Amazing, simply amazing.

CG

Yes, and those amazing comments are continuing.

You are correct on everything except the criticism of "breast oogling men". I think "breast oogling men" are just misunderstood. The oogling is more like a scientific study. Really, its performing a community service.

Thanks for clearing that up, now I understand your earlier comments. I hadn't realized you were of the "societally challenged ilk". I will try to be more patient with your ridiculous comments from now on.

And for some...they really need to read what the comments were. For some reason,........some of you think your opinions are the only ones that matter. No one said the OP was not going to watch their children. There were comments related to how some parents lack in that area....and how it can affect everyones cruise. Also.....the age and what is allowed is subjective......but for most people I know.....a 12 and 16 year old wouldnt be up that late whether on vacation or not. So to look for things to do.....dont be surprised at the responses. We all have opinions and may not agree.

Ridiculous post since the OP has made it quite clear what their intentions are and never said anything about wanting an evening to themselves. Did you read any responses or did you just hit reply after reading the first post?:rolleyes:

Lighten up. I was joking. You wouldn't give schnapps to a kid that age. You would take a juice box, then spice it up with some Captain Morgans Rum.

On a more serious note, however, I do think (even after reading all the posts) that you are giving the original poster too much of a pass. Clearly, she was asking what to do with her kid after 11 pm, because the older child may not be available untill after 12. The obvious answer is to call it a night; or, if you must continue your activities beyond 11, then take the kid with you.

We all know a large percentage of parents affirmatively choose to let their kids, regardless of age, have free reign, at all hours, on a cruise. Whether the OP falls into this category, I can not say. But those of us who assume that the OP does fall into that category, based on what she put in the original post, are far more deserving of a little slack than the OP.

For some reason,........some of you think your opinions are the only ones that matter. .

No one said or came close to claiming that only certain opinions matter. I have no idea where you are getting that from.

What I see is someone who is ANGRY that others disagree with them. Someone who feels that no one should dare disagree with their opinion. Someone who....dare I say it? Thinks that only their opinion matters.

CG

Thanks for clearing that up, now I understand your earlier comments. I hadn't realized you were of the "societally challenged ilk". I will try to be more patient with your ridiculous comments from now on.

Oh stop. Your disingenuous praise is far too lavish.

How do some of you live without a sense of humor?

No one said or came close to claiming that only certain opinions matter. I have no idea where you are getting that from.

What I see is someone who is ANGRY that others disagree with them. Someone who feels that no one should dare disagree with their opinion. Someone who....dare I say it? Thinks that only their opinion matters.

CG

Now that is funny.......no one is angry....but maybe you.

Archived