What's a 12 y.o. to do after 11pm?

lisid

Lighten up. I was joking. You wouldn't give schnapps to a kid that age. You would take a juice box, then spice it up with some Captain Morgans Rum.

On a more serious note, however, I do think (even after reading all the posts) that you are giving the original poster too much of a pass. Clearly, she was asking what to do with her kid after 11 pm, because the older child may not be available untill after 12. The obvious answer is to call it a night; or, if you must continue your activities beyond 11, then take the kid with you.

How is this clear when on three separate posts she affirmed that this was not her intention?

We all know a large percentage of parents affirmatively choose to let their kids, regardless of age, have free reign, at all hours, on a cruise. Whether the OP falls into this category, I can not say. But those of us who assume that the OP does fall into that category, based on what she put in the original post, are far more deserving of a little slack than the OP.

Not really, I believe in this country it is "innocent until proven guilty" and as she did NOTHING to give any credence to the belief that she was looking to dump him, I think those that have such a low respect for their fellow passengers deserve to be called on the carpet for it.

My thoughts in response are quoted above. I wonder where you have developed such a low regard for parents. Sure I see parents who don't pay attention to their children and feel sorry for the children, but I don't naturally assume that everyone is negligent in caring for their children. CruisinGram pointed it out- in the original post she said WITH him.

Oh stop. Your disingenuous praise is far too lavish.

How do some of you live without a sense of humor?

How intuitive of you to pick up that it was in fact disingenuous. I have a sense of humor. Just don't enjoy parents being excoriated for no good reason.

For those who want a cruise without children on board....I would rather deal with children in hot tubs or roaming the ship than a childish adult....

I want a cruise without

... intoxicated adults

... deck chair hogging adults

... breast oggling men

... cue jumpers (at buffet or disembarking at ports)

... grumpy people who aren't happy with anything (regardless of age)

I do not let my children roam the ship without supervision. Maybe those of you travelling with obnoxious adults would afford us the same courtesy and appropriately supervise these childish adults.

I totally agree with you. ;)

We all know a large percentage of parents affirmatively choose to let their kids, regardless of age, have free reign, at all hours, on a cruise. Whether the OP falls into this category, I can not say. But those of us who assume that the OP does fall into that category, based on what she put in the original post, are far more deserving of a little slack than the OP.

Ahhhh, but the OP DID come back and explain....for those who did not understand her original post. Some even continued with their mistaken ideas even after she did so. ;)

Why don't you get the kid a bottle of schnapps, and order some adult movies on the pay per view for him. That ought to keep the boy quiet for a while; freeing the evening up for you.

Not even a little funny and I am sure thats what you intended it to be right???

OP don't be too bothered by some of the posters here. There will be random things to do and always they are free to walk around the ship. When I was 12 I was on the SS Norway and wondering around at night was the best part of the trip!

Remember the 12 year old paid for a cruise ticket just like the 30s, 40s, 8,572 year olds did also!

On the Dawn last summer my son and I went to karaoke they had a few nights it was so much fun! A lot of kids from the kids crew were there I think that was about 11pm.

I have not been on the Majesty but I'm sure they have something fun to do:)

We also went to Blue Lagoon for late night wings.

Have a great cruise!

How intuitive of you to pick up that it was in fact disingenuous. I have a sense of humor. Just don't enjoy parents being excoriated for no good reason.

I am a parent. It seems I am being "excoriated" for no good reason; and my feelings are hurt. (By the way; I think we are both using the word "excoriated" inappropriately; but I digress).

The OP later denied that she was looking for a place for the kid to go after 11 pm, but her first post speaks for itself. Read it again if you think I am wrong. It is actually quite conspicuous.

I was just trying to add a little levity to the topic. But the wrath of the do-gooders has come down on me. I would say "go ahead and bring it on", but it is almost 11 pm, and I need to go to bed.

OP don't be too bothered by some of the posters here. There will be random things to do and always they are free to walk around the ship. When I was 12 I was on the SS Norway and wondering around at night was the best part of the trip!

Remember the 12 year old paid for a cruise ticket just like the 30s, 40s, 8,572 year olds did also!

Hey James, how's the job so far? Hope you're lovin' it.:)

Just gotta' disagree with you here a little.;)

I'm sure wondering around at night was the best part of the trip for you but....I've seen my share of 12 year olds wondering around the ship doing things they shouldn't be doing. Sometimes kids that age get very "brave" when they are are their own and do things they would never do when they're with their parents. In particular, remember one who had a very unfortunate fall, to say the least, on the Majesty before they put in the extra guards on the stairwells? It really didn't matter that his fare was paid like everyone else. Just sayin'.;)

Hey James, how's the job so far? Hope you're lovin' it.:)

Just gotta' disagree with you here a little.;)

I'm sure wondering around at night was the best part of the trip for you but....I've seen my share of 12 year olds wondering around the ship doing things they shouldn't be doing. Sometimes kids that age get very "brave" when they are are their own and do things they would never do when they're with their parents. In particular, remember one who had a very unfortunate fall, to say the least, on the Majesty before they put in the extra guards on the stairwells? It really didn't matter that his fare was paid like everyone else. Just sayin'.;)

I agree with what you are saying but I think we should let the OP figure out what category their kid falls into. Not you at all but some people here will tell her pretty much shes a bad mom for even asking that!

All is well here on the ship. The only bad thing is its been raining here for the past few days and I want to see the sun! :)

The OP later denied that she was looking for a place for the kid to go after 11 pm, but her first post speaks for itself. Read it again if you think I am wrong. It is actually quite conspicuous.

Since you asked, yes I do think you're wrong.;) I saw the original question, to mean, what could they all do together?

I was just trying to add a little levity to the topic. But the wrath of the do-gooders has come down on me. I would say "go ahead and bring it on", but it is almost 11 pm, and I need to go to bed.

There's plenty of levity and humor around but there are times when some topics don't need it and it just doesn't work, that's all.

My thoughts in response are quoted above. I wonder where you have developed such a low regard for parents. Sure I see parents who don't pay attention to their children and feel sorry for the children, but I don't naturally assume that everyone is negligent in caring for their children. CruisinGram pointed it out- in the original post she said WITH him.

What makes you think I have a low regard for parents? I actually was the child of two parents; Oh, and I am a parent of two children myself, who have been on 11 cruises with my wife and me.

If you look at all of the posts here, you will see that many other posters are reading the OP the same way. Most folks wouldn't need to find some place for their 12 year old to go after 11 pm, because they would have the kid in bed; even though they were on vacation. All I did was make a joke. Rich sarcasm. Give me a break.

Now that is funny.......no one is angry....but maybe you.

No anger here. In fact, I simply posted that it was MY OPINION that people were being too tough on the OP. I didn't single you out, didn't even refer to your post, yet you posted back your opinion on what I said, and so it began...a difference of opinions.

It was you who decided to take the disagreement to a new level and toss out accusations that some people thought that only their opinion mattered, not me.

CG

I agree with what you are saying but I think we should let the OP figure out what category their kid falls into. Not you at all but some people here will tell her pretty much shes a bad mom for even asking that!

Gotcha... just seems some miscommunication is going around. :)

All is well here on the ship. The only bad thing is its been raining here for the past few days and I want to see the sun! :)

The sun'll come out

Tomorrow

Bet your bottom dollar

That tomorrow

There'll be sun!

Just thinkin' about

Tomorrow

What makes you think I have a low regard for parents? I actually was the child of two parents; Oh, and I am a parent of two children myself, who have been on 11 cruises with my wife and me.

If you look at all of the posts here, you will see that many other posters are reading the OP the same way. Most folks wouldn't need to find some place for their 12 year old to go after 11 pm, because they would have the kid in bed; even though they were on vacation. All I did was make a joke. Rich sarcasm. Give me a break.

Some people dont get it and never will. I dont think there was anyone that implied the OP was not going to pay attention to what the kids were going to do......we dont know them. I know I did point out issues I have seen in the past on cruises I have been on. It was also metioned that MOST kids would/should be in bed at that time and not at venues ment to be for adults. Obviously the OP will do what they want either way.

No anger here. In fact, I simply posted that it was MY OPINION that people were being too tough on the OP. I didn't single you out, didn't even refer to your post, yet you posted back your opinion on what I said, and so it began...a difference of opinions.

It was you who decided to take the disagreement to a new level and toss out accusations that some people thought that only their opinion mattered, not me.

CG

Wow...........

It's late and I'm tired too. Mostly of this thread, so this is the last for me for tonight. Here's the part of the OP's post in question:

will there be anything for us to do with our 12 y.o. until our teen (16) is done his "partying".?????

How could anyone misinterpet that? It point blank says "for us to do with our 12 y.o.". Us, meaning "we, the parents, the adults. The OP didn't change her statement one bit between the original post and when she came back later..not one bit.

CG

We cruised with our 12 y/o neice recently (and her parents) and she was in the cabin-with parents watching a movie or sleeping by 11:00 pm. And yes, she was ON VACATION IN JULY! I couldn't imagine her being up later than that and much less out wandering the ship at all hours. If I saw a child sitting out by the pool at 4:00 am with parent or not, I would think parental neglect, but maybe that's just me.

We cruised with our 12 y/o neice recently (and her parents) and she was in the cabin-with parents watching a movie or sleeping by 11:00 pm. And yes, she was ON VACATION IN JULY! I couldn't imagine her being up later than that and much less out wandering the ship at all hours. If I saw a child sitting out by the pool at 4:00 am with parent or not, I would think parental neglect, but maybe that's just me.

It isnt just you....it is just common sense. More people need to have some.....many dont. Children arent ment to have the same habits as adults.....they grow up fast enough!

It's late and I'm tired too. Mostly of this thread, so this is the last for me for tonight. Here's the part of the OP's post in question:

will there be anything for us to do with our 12 y.o. until our teen (16) is done his "partying".?????

How could anyone misinterpet that? It point blank says "for us to do with our 12 y.o.". Us, meaning "we, the parents, the adults. The OP didn't change her statement one bit between the original post and when she came back later..not one bit.

CG

CruisnGram, it is because some people don't pay attention unfortunately. You are right, the original post can't be misinterpreted. The sad [art for me was "anything for us to do with our 12 year old", like he's a burden. Poor kid.

Archived