Venice with a 22 month old? I hear it's a bad idea...what do you think?

deniuh

Thanks for your response. Can you recommend a back pack? Actually I am not even sure what that is....sorry.

Hi, you might want to check out the Ergo carrier. I have a toddler that I still sometimes carry on my back with this when we're out and he gets tired of walking around. The difference between this and the framed backpack carrier is it's lighter and it probably costs less. I've used this since my DS was a baby and have traveled with it to many places. It's very comfortable to use. It's also much more compact than the framed backpack, so it won't take up much room in the luggage. http://www.ergobabycarrier.com/testimonials/

. . . I believe a 22mo will be way too heavy to keep in a back carrier......

Our DD was in the backpack carrier until she was over 3YO (and she was not a "light" kid :D) It was "framed" and sturdy -- and trust me, my husband needed no workout after carrying her around in it (Florence, Milan, Venice, Budapest, San Francisco, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Boston -- and locally to art fairs, farmers markets, the state fair).

If you get a carrier, be certain your child (and you) have plenty of time to get used to it. Our DD LOVED it (I've always assumed it was because it got her up to adult height rather than looking at everyone's knees!)

. . . BTW, we travel alot and our kids are good at it....but their current ages are 8, 13, 14, 18,....it is much easier for us and we waited until the youngest was 7 1/2 before venturing back to Europe. She loved and remembers it btw.

We only have the one -- we out number her:D. You know your kids best, but don't be afraid to travel with them to lots of different places.

1) they remember much more than we adults give them credit

2) even when they don't remember specific events, being with mom and dad in an exciting new place; is a great experience for them

3) there are "scary" things all over - not just Venice/Europe (particularly when mom has a fear of heights, Mesa Verde with an almost 3YO is scary!)

4) you'll be amazed by how much you learn by looking through your child's eyes.

5) most of the "little old lady" Italians cannot resist a little one -- you'll get to meet many "real" Venitians! Now that my DD is a young lady, I have to "work" at opening up communications with the locals!

Archived