Swim with turtles/shipwreck early in the day?

chrispycruiser

Does anyone know of a tour whereby we could swim with the turtles and snorkel the shipwreck early in the day so that we could spend the rest of our day at the Boatyard? We are in port from 7 am til 6 pm. Can we trust a provider at the pier? Most of the shorter snorkel trips pick up at 10:00 which cuts the day in half. We want some time at the Boatyard too. We are newbies at this...please help.

I went with El Tigre Catamaran. They picked us up at 9 am and we were sailing around 10 am. We went on the 5 hour excursion but I believe they also have a 3 hour one too. You also get $10 off for cruise passengers and I found it be a great deal! Great lunch incl. snack, all you can drink, snorkels available to see the turtles and shipwreck, and it wasn't too crowded.

Chrispycruiser, we are with you on the Caribbean Princess, we are 2 ladies, trying to keep to a budget. We are thinking of getting off the ship early, and heading for Folkstone Marine Park by bus. Snorkel there for a little bit then walk back to Paynes Bay, and swim out from the beach to where the turtles are. From reading reviews here and on trip advisor I believe this is possible. Either that or sharing taxi. After Paynes Bay, we are going to work our way back to bridgetown and check out the square etc. We have our own snorkling gear (although I am experienced snorkler, it will be a first snorkle and cruise for my friend) I have notes on the best areas for snorkeling. I always love to research for months before a trip.

I'm kind of wondering the same thing myself as I'd love to do the turtle/shipwreck snorkel as well as seeing the island (maybe through cameron reid?). I did notice that Princess, our ship, is offering a turtle encounter and a sea turtle/shipwreck snorkel tour that starts at 8:30 and ends by 11:30 or 12:30 (later time is for the turtle encounter). Perhaps your cruise offers the same thing?

I too am on the Princess but the swim with the turtles and snorkel the shipwreck were the first tours to book up from the ship. We have decided to do the Silver Moon. We can hardly wait. With such rave reviews, I don't think that we can go wrong!

• 2 weeks later...

We have booked with Hightide Watersports. This is a scuba provider from Barbados. They are the official headquarter dive centre assisting with the Barbados Sea Turtle Project. Our Guests, Their Team and Marine Biologists help these Hawkbill Turtles to survive. A year-round program (Tues, Thurs & Sat). Non-divers are welcome to join in. This is part of the Padi Project Aware. Marine biologists with the PADI turtle project capture, tag, measure and interact with you and you get an upclose and informative session about these creatures. You may even get to name a turtle if it hasnt been caught before. Afterwards, they take you for snorkelling session with the turtles. Pick up at the marina by the ship at 10am and return shortly after noon - leaves lots of time for afternoon activities. email Martyn at hightide@sunbeach.net or call 246-230-2890. We are very impressed with them and I have read a lot of good reviews on other sights.

Archived