want to use my digital snorkeling

wtbyct5162

Hi since some of you people are so knowledgeable and helpful .What do recommend for keeping my digital dry while my dw and I snorkel on our first cruise. We are on a budget and my camera is a canon powershot sx100is I can't seem to find the right case or bag to keep it dry . Only going snorkeling and maybe dunns river in jamaica. thank you :cool:

I am a scuba diver so I needed a waterproof housing that I could take to depths of 100+ feet. Our camera is a Canon Power Shot SD870IS. We bought the Canon WP-DC17 underwater housing. We bought it last year and seems like it was $100-200, can't remember exactly. But it has worked AMAZING! However, probably overkill if you're not planning to snorkel very often. We go on a tropical trip at least once a year so it was worth the money for us. I know that housing fits a variety of cameras, but you'd have to do a search to see if your camera will fit. Also remember that you want to be as close as possible to whatever you are taking a picture of. The refraction in water makes things appear farther away than they are. We've never had luck with disposables - especially somewhere like Dunns River where there's a good chance that you might whack it on something and then it floods and wastes the whole roll. BTW, we also got insurance on our camera in case this really good housing does the same. But it is heavy duty and has a great seal!

An underwater housing is available for camera from Ikelite for $450. According to "Digideep" it is the only underwater housing specifically made for your camera, at this time. Ikelite is high quality equipment and you'll get what you pay for. They have superb customer service if you ever have a problem.

http://www.ikelite.com/web_two/can_sx100.html

To be honest, what the ikelike enclosure costs you can get an older model canon with enclosure and save like $200. You can check the canon site to find an older camera you like (ensure there's a matching enclosure) then go to e-bay, overstock and other sites to find a good used set. I know I have a Canon with enclosure that's only 1 1/2-2 yrs old that works great but I paid like $250 for the camera and $200 for the enclosure and can get the whole thing for under $200 now. :( Camera's loose their value quicker than automobiles. :p

Randall

I would highly recommend a housing for you camera. Not a bag. They are unreliable and unpredictable. I had a friend lose their camera, memory card when a bag failed. So as much as a housing seems overkill, you'll be much happier. Those bags are horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a canon Powershot SD450 and I got the casing for it that cost $115 online for snorkeling. I considered the bags, but was not willing to take the risk for snorkeling. If it was just a beach trip or for rain, I would be find with it, but not for snorkeling.

Here is the housing. I ordered from another website.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000B65GPW/ref=asc_df_B000B65GPW749711?smid=A2Y7LLQC87RDQ&tag=nextag-ce-tier5-delta-20&linkCode=asn

The major thing on these cases is make sure you use the silicon to create a seal and be careful that the o-ring does not stretch.

I would highly recommend a housing for you camera. Not a bag. They are unreliable and unpredictable. I had a friend lose their camera, memory card when a bag failed. So as much as a housing seems overkill, you'll be much happier. Those bags are horrible.

The bags are also NOT easy to use and gain control of the camera function keys. We tried this and wound up putting the camera back on the beach and snorkeling without it.

We have a Canon Powershot for diving with the case, and we just purchased the Olympus Tough 8000 for our ruff and tuff camera for about $400 - shockproof to 6.6 feet and waterproof to 33 feet (can't dive with it due to depth restrictions unless we get the Ikelite case). Should last us a while - as we like to abuse our cameras. :D

Another vote for the Olympus. We have had ours 2 or 3 years now and can't be without it for snorkelling. I've taken some really great shots too.

How is the picture quality? The reviews I am reading on it says the picture quality is lacking.

Archived