Valor formal dress code

happygull

My DH and I are sailing on the Valor 4/26/09. We do not have formal wear and hate to spend the extra money for just two nights. What can we get away with in the dinning room on Formal nights? Does DH have to have a suit, or jacket, or will a nice shirt and tie be okay?

My DH and I are sailing on the Valor 4/26/09. We do not have formal wear and hate to spend the extra money for just two nights. What can we get away with in the dinning room on Formal nights? Does DH have to have a suit, or jacket, or will a nice shirt and tie be okay?
Yes to the shirt and tie... :) Or shirt & sport coat!:p Up to you...

Naturally, you will hear lots of 'opinions'.. Whatever you feel is appropriate in a 'nice' dining room atmosphere..:cool:

I did a polo and slacks on 'casual' nites, and a shirt/tie on formal (cruise elegant) nites.. I was 'middle of the road'!!:D

Some go way out on formal night, others not so far. On my last cruise, I work khakis and shirt for every night and wore a suit and tie for formal while my DW wore dress slacks and a nice blouse. We did not feel out of place, even though some were wearing ball gowns and tuxes. This is not our style, so what we wore was "formal" to us.

This is totally up to you how "formal" you want to get, but I would definitely suggest at least a shirt and tie for him.

We just got off the Valor today. We had early seating and, for what it's worth, I would say that 85% of the men wore suits. There were a handfull of tuxes scattered about also. I wore a jacket, slacks and dress shirt with no tie and felt slightly underdressed.

Come this August will be our first Carnival cruise. Our TA mentioned to me that the dress code was very laid back ( we are sailing on the Valor ). He specifically mentioned a shirt and tie or maybe a jacket. I mentioned to him that our last 7 cruises were on Celebrity and since they are more formal I think he didnt want me to pack items I really did not need to bring.

I cannot remember the exact phrase he used but it was something like... instead of formal its "dressy casual"

I plan to bring one dress and a jacket for my DH for a 7 day cruise. The rest of the time I will wear capris etc....

Enjoy your cruise

Thanks everyone. Guess I should go out and buy DH a jacket at least, or maybe room service on our balcony on those nights.

awww don't pass up "elegant night"

I'm not a ballroom gown type of girl either.... i like my tshirts and jeans or capri's... I dress for "elegant night" as I would if DH is taking me out for a nice dinner, or going to Church... DH dresses in Docker style pants, nice shirt/Tie with dinner jacket... We didn't feel under dressed nor uncomfortable in anyway.

~S

Thanks everyone. Guess I should go out and buy DH a jacket at least, or maybe room service on our balcony on those nights.

According to Carnival all that is required is a button down shirt and slacks.

That's all I wore on the Triumph in January and was fine.

Why would you want to eat sandwiches on your balcony on formal night?

Go and enjoy and save your money.:)

Bill

So, you think a shirt and tie without a jacket would be okay even on formal night? I have church dresses for me, so am not worried about what I would wear.

Yes, he'll be perfectly fine.

We just got off the Triumph and saw lots of nice "resort wear", even on elegant nights, even for the men. Tommy Bahama-style silk/linen shirts, sundresses, little sandals, etc. I thought people looked great and comfortable, to boot.

Honestly, I think this forum "cares" what people wear to the elegant nights more than the actual people you'll meet in the dining room. Don't let your clothes keep you from enjoying the dining room!

So, you think a shirt and tie without a jacket would be okay even on formal night? I have church dresses for me, so am not worried about what I would wear.

He'll be fine. Don't stress over it. Last year before the change from formal to elegant my son and I wore tuxes while the people sitting next to us wore jeans, t shirts and flip flops.

Nobody is turned away.

It was then that I said this was the last CCL cruise I'm dragging the tux along.

My cruise in January the waiter said tomorrow is formal night. I said not for me. He looked at what I was wearing that night which happened to be shorts and a Caribbean shirt and he said, "it's your vacation, wear what you want".

Bill

Archived