Avalon Affinity 8/8/2009

huskercruiser

I just realized that we are on two different tours ... mine is the Windmills, Vineyards and Paris ... leaving in May.

I'm looking forward to your experiences ... we are looking forward to our trip.

I have some questions about the ship (including the power supply and outlets). After you get back from your cruise, maybe you can answer them! I'm looking forward to reading your review. This will be our first river cruise. My husband and I have done LOTS of ocean cruises and I know that this will be different.

So far, we have not done very much planning. Everyday we have an included tour, so I'm not sure if we need to do additional planning. Last year, we went on a 10 day mediterranean cruise and planned all our own shore excursions.

Ruth

Hi Ruth,

Our first river cruise was last year. We went from Amsterdam to Budapest. Each day we had an included tour which was a great overview of the city and often had a tour of a castle or church. There were optional tours offered, but not too many. We did a few of these last year, but don't expect to do too many this year. We found we were overtired by trying to do an included and optional tour.

As for the power supply and outlets: there is one outlet in the bathroom that is meant for electric shavers only. There are outlets in the desk area. Be sure to bring along the European adapters. Unless you have very old 'appliances', you won't need one of the transformers. I took along two adapters last year and used one for my cell phone and another for the hair dryer and curling iron. There is a hair dryer in the console of the desk area. There are plenty of warnings not to try to use this in the bathroom. The hair dryer is very nice.

I will definitely post a review once I get back. Last year I kept a diary with me to record where we were each day, what we had to eat, and notations about who we met. Each day there is a handout of information about the city being visited. Also, each night the tour director goes over the plans for the following day. You will find in your room the schedule that he/she discusses along with menu choices for dinner the following day.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Enjoy!!!

Archived