Traveling with young children

Globe

Would appreciate any feedback on recommended cruise lines for traveling with younger children. Have some friends who will be doing a first time cruise experience and they have a 2 and a 3 1/2 yr. old.

They want to be on a good secure vessel which would cater to children as well as offer an overall good cruise experience for adults. They are family oriented and not at all interested in party ships. Most likely looking at a Caribbean cruise.

Thank You.

If you are looking for family activity, especially for the pre-school crowd, I would recommend Disney Cruise Line. Lots of characters, Disney themed shows and lots of plexiglass. If you don't book a balcony, ship is quite secure for a little one. My kids loved the kids club, and they have things like dancing with snow white, hunting foir treasure with Peter Pan, etc. If they don't like Disney, Royal Caribbean has activities for all ages. Children must be potty trained for non-parent attending activities.

Thank you both for your helpful responses. I will pass on the rec. for Disney and also post my question on the family forum ( didn't realize there was a separate family section ).

All ships are as "secure" as any other....it's up to the parents to "protect" their kids...and with kids that young, they'll never be out of an adults sight. Disney, Carnival, and RCI have the best kid's programs----some won't deal with the 2 year old, tho.... most lines require kid's to be potty-trained or there's no pool time for them! (Disney is the major exception...check out each specific ship!)

Disney would be your best bet. Never had a younger kid on there, but it is aimed at kids and thier security. You will get a pager if there's anything the child needs or if they need to contact you. They have several kid's age groups so younger isn't mixed with older, etc. The rooms are a little larger and geared for familys (including food at buffet). Yes, you will see a character or 10. They also have thier own private island that is beautiful. Even on there, they have the kid's programs, as well as separate beaches for kids vs teens and adults. Plus, you can hae some free time for yourselves. They even do later night babysitting for you if you wanted to stay out later. The staff there is absolutely great with kids, and keep everything age appropriate.

Plus, whenever they move from the kid's floor area to somewhere like the buffet for lunch where they get thier own area too, they have a "secret" passage and if they're in an open area, the kids are more or less guarded. During that time, you aren't even allowed to go up to your own kid. Very safe for kids.

I remember Carnival being very careful with the kids. Parents weren't allowed into the room; when they came to pick up their child, their IDs are checked (same person must sign in/sign out), and the child is let out of the gate by the staff member. You get assigned a pager at the beginning of the cruise. And like Princess, there is a kids' only dinner in a private area. There's post 10pm kidsitting at a reasonable hourly rate (and they have even prorated for us).

The added advantage of Carnival over Disney is that usually the rates tend to be half as much.

I'd definitely go with Carnival. They have catered my girls since the youngest was 3. They have now been on 4 going on 5 Carnival cruises. The girls absolutely adore Carnival. When the girls go to dinner their drink of choice is waiting for them. They also usually have a cookie on their pillows at night. And, of course you can't beat Camp Carnival. (Carnival does take 2 year olds in their camp carnival program.)

Archived