Where to stay?

woodley

I am planning to stay 2 nights after the cruise and wanted to know what the area around the cruise port Valparaiso is like. Would I be better to stay there one night and then one night in santiago or to stay both nights in one location.

Also what is the weather like in that area in November.

If you like a place with character and friendly hosts in a good location you would love the Yellow House. http://www.theyellowhouse.cl/eng/index.html

Martin is an Aussie ex-pat and his wife Lissette is Chilean. They know the city well. They can also book a tour for you with Michael the Pirate who can show you a Valpo you could never find for yourself. He also took me to gorgeous beaches south of Valpo. I especially like Quintay and Isla Negra (where Neruda's house is located)

Incidentally, the house is yellow but the rooms are blue. One bedroom and the diningroom loverlook the harbor. Breakfasts are good and it is a half block away from the famouse Blue House restaurant and an ascensor.

Andrea

I would stay one night in Valpo (hey Andrea!) and one night in Santiago. We stayed at a bed and breakfast in Santiago that was great and the hospitality by Walter was outstanding. He has lived in the US for 13 years so he speaks great English and cooks great food ( ask for his scones for breakfast!). You can contact him at weggomez@hotmail.com or http://www.bed-and-breakfast-santiago.cl The rooms run around $80 US. He also took us from Santiago to the ship and he also picked us up from the airport. It is located 3 blocks from the Presidential Palace and is in the middle of the city. We took the Hop-On Hop Off buses around Santiago for $30 US per person (or 18,000 Chilean Pesos) and it was a great way to see the city. Santiago is a very clean city....make sure you go to see Cerro Sta Lucia. Good luck! Galen

Archived