Another slightly different sea sickness question

mscg2000

I've read many threads about how to combat sea sickness: patch, pills, ginger, sea bands. But my questions are 3:

1. What's the difference between Dramamine 1 and "Non-drowsy" Dramamine?

Does one work better than the other?

2. How long does it take for the patch to become effective if I wait till I begin to feel sick? :(

3. Is it OK to drink alcohol with either Dramamine? with the patch? ;)

I've read many threads about how to combat sea sickness: patch, pills, ginger, sea bands. But my questions are 3:

2. How long does it take for the patch to become effective if I wait till I begin to feel sick? :(

I think I wrote on your other post, but technically, I don't think you're supposed to drink on either Dramamine or the patch. But I have drank on both, and it definitely affects me and I get drunk fast on the patch. One of the side effects many people feel on the patch is thirstiness/dry throat, so you're always wanting to drink SOMETHING. Like most meds, you aren't supposed to drink on it; if you're going to use the patch, definitely wait and see what side effects you encounter--you'll know a few hours after you put it on. My SIL started seeing double and couldn't even read the label of the package to see that the side effects were "blurred vision." :)

The patch is supposed to be put on 4 hours before you start moving--I put it the morning of the cruise at the hotel, as we always fly down the night before. I think the point of the patch is that it needs time to sink in--the medicine starts flowing into your blood stream before you start moving, so it's more of a preventative. You change it every three days, so it's continually flowing. I have used Dramamine once I've gotten sick from being on a smaller boat, and that has helped after the fact, so I know that it can work after you get sick. It can be both preventative and curative once sick.

As for the difference between "regular" and "non," I take the "non" during the say b/c the "regular" can make some people kind of out of it.

I don't know if that helped, but if you know that you will get sea-sick, then I would recommend the patch. Just know that there are these potential side effects that may make you feel worse than being seasick. Other people swear by things like bonine, ginger, etc., and the fact is, you are going to be on a really big boat and while you will feel like you are on a boat, it's not like you're going to feel like you're on a tiny thing.

Have a great time and try not to worry about it too much!

I take dramamine, but switched to the non-drowsy since it would really affect me. With the non-drowsy I had no effects when combining with alcohol. I tried to take mine in the morning since it was easier to remember. Last week, I didn't take them (generic version-ask a pharmacist. They're like $4 for 50) until the evening and it was harder to remember. Still didn't make me sleepy, though.

If you want something with NO affects on what else you do get a Relief Band. It is pricy but worth every penny and you can use it on all your cruises, air travel, stomach bug, morning sickness, post surgery sickness, etc.

The Buzz to your fingers takes a bit of getting used to but that is all. Also the only one that will help after you feel sick.

My husband who is a physician and actually the nurses in the infirmly frown upon the patch as well! way too many side effects!

There is a big difference in Drowsy and non- Drowsy Dramamine.

Gravol / Dramamine = Antihistamine....that is it! You would get the same effect taking a sinus pill like Claritan.

Non-Drowsy Dramamine contains Meclizine .

Which does not make you drowzy and does not contain an antihistamine.

I can not take Gravol but I can take Meclizine!

Meclizine is what is in the Sea sick Meds they give you on the Ship

drinking with it? Not sure!

My husband who is a physician and actually the nurses in the infirmly frown upon the patch as well! way too many side effects!

There is a big difference in Drowsy and non- Drowsy Dramamine.

Gravol / Dramamine = Antihistamine....that is it! You would get the same effect taking a sinus pill like Claritan.

Non-Drowsy Dramamine contains Meclizine .

Which does not make you drowzy and does not contain an antihistamine.

I can not take Gravol but I can take Meclizine!

Meclizine is what is in the Sea sick Meds they give you on the Ship

drinking with it? Not sure!

I took what they gave me on the ship and I felt much better. I wish I had taken it before the boat started moving as more of a preventative measure. I also drank a little alcohol with it, but it says not to, it only made me sleep better, and it was only a couple of drinks!

Archived