DAWN PRINCESS - Request for Balcony Stateroom Info

KanbraKruza

My sister and myself are planning to do a short cruise on Dawn Princess in late 2009 and would like to splash out on a Balcony stateroom (unfortunately, the budget doesn't extend to a MS - sigh). We've studied the deck plans but they don't provide any 'insider' info (eg. which balconies are deeper / under cover etc) - the balcony sizes in BD to BA categories all look similar in terms of size and layout. I have checked the CC Boards (incl P&O Australia) but have not managed to find specific info. We are hoping those who have previously sailed on the DP in a Balcony stateroom can offer input. Any / all comments gratefully received.

Many thanks in anticipation. :rolleyes:

My sister and myself are planning to do a short cruise on Dawn Princess in late 2009 and would like to splash out on a Balcony stateroom (unfortunately, the budget doesn't extend to a MS - sigh). We've studied the deck plans but they don't provide any 'insider' info (eg. which balconies are deeper / under cover etc) - the balcony sizes in BD to BA categories all look similar in terms of size and layout. I have checked the CC Boards (incl P&O Australia) but have not managed to find specific info. We are hoping those who have previously sailed on the DP in a Balcony stateroom can offer input. Any / all comments gratefully received.

I've sailed the Dawn several times. We had a balcony on the Dawn and were very disappointed. The balconies were cut out of the cabin and are extremely small, maybe 3X6, and defiantly not large enough to “splash pot”. IMO it was not worth the additional cost IMO. (We paid an additional $800pp more than an outside) Since the balconies were cut out of the cabin, the cabin was that much smaller. I would opt for the outside cabin with the large window. We had D725 and it was very nice, the window was huge, large enough to sit in which I did many times.

The "cut-out" decreases as one goes to lower deck. So Aloha has the largest cut-out. So the posts about Caribe Deck does not apply. We find that balcony is worthwhile to relax pre-dinner wine and snacks and the fresh air. On one cruise we were on the Riviera Deck and we liked it because we could step out easily to the music and it was also easy to bring snacks from the buffet. Look at the "ship" picture to get an idea about cut-outs.

The balconies are small, but not as small as Red Hat Cruise quoted. They are around 9' X 3.5', not 3 X 6. Also, I thought the cutout size was all the same except for the Caribe deck, which if definitely a smaller cutout, though the balcony is the same size. One nice thing about these balconies is that they are totally private, if that matters to you. The balcony cabins themselves are a bit smaller than their counterparts on the Grand class ships, but those who have stayed in them have generally found them adequate.

I have to agree with the others on this one. If price is a concern, don't waste your money on a balcony on a Sun Class ship (unless you can afford an aft mini suite). The 3 1/2' by 9' balcony is large enough to sit at a small round table (two passengers) but not large enough to get the full enjoyment from it for the price. The balcony will be the width of the stateroom and the dept for all side balconys is 3 1/2' only. It wouldn't matter which deck you decided on, the actual balcony size in balcony staterooms are all the same.

You will have a great time no matter which type of stateroom you book. Enjoy!

I went on a lunch and tour of the Dawn princess last saturday.

I agree the balconies are tiny and with the difference in prices I feel are not worth the money.

The balconies on the suites are double width though so if if a balcony is necessary for you and you can afford it go with a suite.

Archived