How do you like it?

balf

Now that all inside areas on FO ships are, or very soon will be, smoke free (Black Watch and Balmoral after their world cruises) how do smokers feel about this.

Will it be the last staw that will make you give up on FO or indeed on cruising generally?

If I was a smoker I would not fancy a trip to an outside deck or my cabin every time I needed a drag. Has Fred Olsen got it right or not with this move?

David

David, I'm a smoker and doubt I shall go on Olsen again, which is a pity. Without wishing to raise hackles, unfortunately IMHO they have listened to the few, but very vocal, rabid anti-smokers, while those of us who indulge occasionally have kept quiet and will probably silently slink off elsewhere. A significant number of my fellow passengers smoked, and did not plan to return to Olsen, taking with them their largely non-smoking partners; as my bet is that not a single person will start cruising because of the smoking ban, alienating a fair percentage of your customers seems a strange decision in the current climate.

Standing outside on a freezing deck in a posh frock has limited appeal:(.

Mary

PS Having re-read your post, I don't think it is permitted in cabins on Olsen ships, so there is actually nowhere at all inside for us poor pariahs.

In practice though most smokers would smoke in the cabin, rather than nipping on to the balcony in a gale. Assuming of course that they were in a balcony cabin. It would seem to be the one unpoliceable location.

I have never been bothered by the few inside smoking areas on cruise ships, and it looks like FO and the cruise industry as a whole will lose out on this one.

David.

In practice though most smokers would smoke in the cabin, rather than nipping on to the balcony in a gale. Assuming of course that they were in a balcony cabin. It would seem to be the one unpoliceable location.

I have never been bothered by the few inside smoking areas on cruise ships, and it looks like FO and the cruise industry as a whole will lose out on this one.

David.

As smokers myself and hubby, this hasent put us off, AT WORK we go outside so what does it matter any way. You will find almost all cruise lines have the no smoking policy, Fred Olsen is just following others.

Yes we are frowned upon by the non smokers, i for one dont care.

Chrissy,

David.

David, I don't think that most would smoke in the cabin; even most hardened smokers find it somewhat unpleasant in a confined space, many of us have other halves who don't smoke, and the majority of smokers are law-abiding. It is policeable, however - hotels do it: they have your credit card number and, if you smoke illicitly in your room, will charge your card for a hefty 'cleaning' bill. Balconies are not too bad in a gale, as they are sheltered on each side by the partition - I used mine on a fairly rough Canaries round-trip in January, and it was fine The same cannot be said of the open decks.

A pity, both for them and for us, that they cannot accommodate a fairly sizeable percentage of their customers somewhere comfortable, with efficient extraction. Thank you for your reasonable posts on the subject.

Mary

I suppose the next thing will be to stop serving fattening foods and and have a compulsory exercise programme! Surely people can decide for themselves if they wish to smoke and should be accommodated. I'm a non-smoker but an area set aside for smokers should be provided imho - they may lose a lot of business otherwise! The decision is a bit short-sighted!

Archived