Union Discounts

PreciousPetal

I just booked another NCL cruise and was told that I could get a union discount because I am in a union. I got a confirmation from NCL that states to bring my union card to the pier. Has anyone done this before? Who do you show it to? Can one card work for everyone you are travelling with?

Thanks for any info you can pass my way!

Not sure if they'll actually ask to see the union card, but I would think IF it happens it would be asked when you check in.

We got a 20% discount off our upcoming Jewel repo cruise (discount varies by cruise sail date) and we'll be sure to bring the union card with us!

Although I've never used this discount I was told about it when I booked. I booked 2 cabins (my dh and ds are next door) they only allowed me to use the discount for the travellers in my cabin. Trust me the discount wasn't so big and my dh qualified for a obc that they wouldn't give me since I was using the union discount. It all almost evened out in the end. I'm bringing my union card but if they don't ask for it - I won't show it. I figure I've already paid for the cabins and if they want to see it or their charge me the difference - then I'll show it. I'm assuming the person checking us in would be the only one who might have a note on file to see the actual card.

The discount is good for the entire cabin, so if you are all in one cabin then it applies to everyone. I was told to fax a copy of the union card to NCL at a special fax number and be sure to bring it with us just in case. I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone asking for it at the pier though.

It looks like ANY union is eligible. Interesting.

I'm curious though as to what specifically constitutes a "published fare." Is that the brochure price (which, of course, nobody pays), or the lowest price you're otherwise able to find. I do see that the regular 5% discount is combinable with other discounts.

Is this available when you book through a travel agent, or only when booking directly through NCL?

So, for example, if my parents are looking at a fare that is $862/person on NCL.com and $757/person through an online travel agent (I'm not naming names, so I think this is kosher for the board), will the 5% (since it's not one of the special sailings that have a bigger discount) be off of the $862/person, or off of the $757/person, or off of the originally published price in some brochure somewhere that obviously nobody pays???

Although I've never used this discount I was told about it when I booked. I booked 2 cabins (my dh and ds are next door) they only allowed me to use the discount for the travellers in my cabin. Trust me the discount wasn't so big and my dh qualified for a obc that they wouldn't give me since I was using the union discount. It all almost evened out in the end. I'm bringing my union card but if they don't ask for it - I won't show it. I figure I've already paid for the cabins and if they want to see it or their charge me the difference - then I'll show it. I'm assuming the person checking us in would be the only one who might have a note on file to see the actual card.

I have used this discount and they do give you the OBC also this can also be combined with other discounts also I have gotten between $30 -120 off per person depends on the cruise Last year in Oct the pearl had a 50% discount off also take the card just in case but in the last 2 years no one has ever asked to see it http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=UnionPlus

When I originally booked our cruise direct with NCL I was eligible for the union discount. They gave me a name and fax number who to send the copies of the union cards to. DH had his through the local plumbers union and I actually have 3 unions that I belong to due to the fact that I work in the school district I belong to the city/state/national education unions. I do not remember the name or number of the person but may have it still in my notes at home. I was never asked to show a card when we boarded.

I actually switched my booking to an on-line TA and was able to keep the discount and also the OBC that was offered during the sale in Oct. :D

It looks like ANY union is eligible. Interesting.

I'm curious though as to what specifically constitutes a "published fare." Is that the brochure price (which, of course, nobody pays), or the lowest price you're otherwise able to find. I do see that the regular 5% discount is combinable with other discounts.

Is this available when you book through a travel agent, or only when booking directly through NCL?

So, for example, if my parents are looking at a fare that is $862/person on NCL.com and $757/person through an online travel agent (I'm not naming names, so I think this is kosher for the board), will the 5% (since it's not one of the special sailings that have a bigger discount) be off of the $862/person, or off of the $757/person, or off of the originally published price in some brochure somewhere that obviously nobody pays???

The current price type in code PGUP and it will give you the disc. prices go through ncl PCC and you will get the other offers

This actually does not apply to any unions...when I was booking through NCL, they asked me if either of us were union members so they could check for a discount. We are both members of the same teachers' union (national affiliation), but it did not have a discount. I threw it out there that I was a member of an actors' union, maybe that would apply? It did, and I got a 15% discount! Who knew? But I think the discount is different for different unions, and for different sailings.

We have not sailed as of yet, so I don't know about them checking it your union card at embarkation. I will be sure to have it with me in any case! Saved us almost $400!

I also have the OBC that was offered at the time of booking.

HTH!;)

We, too, received the union discount, 15%. We were told that the union had to be AFL-CIO affiliated. Our TA just notified NCL. Our bill was adjusted and we were told to bring our union card. As said before, it applies to everyone in the cabin.

We used it on last cruise. I was also told to bring my union card to show at the pier, but they never asked for it. And we still got this discount, plus the Lattitudes on top of the sale prices. And then got more obc for using a Visa card. so it turned out to be a great deal and a great cruise for us.

The union has to be affiliated with the AFL-CIO. There is a standard 5% union discount on all cruises, and as others have posted, some cruises have larger discounts. You can use it when booking either directly with NCL or a TA. You can check the cruises here: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=UnionPlus

I have used it at least 4 times and have not been asked for it at boarding, but I have my card in my wallet just in case.

I just booked another NCL cruise and was told that I could get a union discount because I am in a union. I got a confirmation from NCL that states to bring my union card to the pier. Has anyone done this before? Who do you show it to? Can one card work for everyone you are travelling with?

Thanks for any info you can pass my way!

I used the union discount for our 2010 10 day cruise on the GEM. The discount applies to the travelers in your cabin. We booked an OV category CC and saved a total of $401. I had to fax a copy of my union card over to Norwegian to apply the discount and was told the card has to be presented again upon boarding.

We also were able to get the OBC promotion that was running at the time of booking.

Mary & Red

We, too, received the union discount, 15%. We were told that the union had to be AFL-CIO affiliated.

Ah, thanks. Doesn't help. Oh well.

But wait...where did you read it had to be AFL-CIO? Because this link doesn't say that at all: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=UnionPlus

It says nothing about AFL-CIO. Just "union members".

We also received the Union discount. I was never told to fax a copy of the union card. I just gave the PVP the union and local number that DH belongs to. He told us to bring his union card or proof of paying union dues with us. Some of the online TA's state that it has to be an AFL/CIO affiliated union but I noticed on NCL's website it doesnt say this. DH is in the Teamsters Union and they are not AFL/CIO and the PVP said they qualify.

We also received the promo OBC and OBC for using and AMEX card

I actually phoned the number given on the website to ask if my union was eligible & the rep from NCL said that the union HAS to be affiliated with AFL-CIO to apply for the discount. Sad for me because my union does not apply:(

Some of the online TA's state that it has to be an AFL/CIO affiliated union but I noticed on NCL's website it doesnt say this.

Yeah, I'm really confused where the idea that it has to be AFL-CIO affiliated comes from. The NCL website doesn't say that at all. It just says "union members," which I read to mean any union member from any union.

Yeah, I'm really confused where the idea that it has to be AFL-CIO affiliated comes from. The NCL website doesn't say that at all. It just says "union members," which I read to mean any union member from any union.

"This summer, we christened Pride of America - the largest U.S. Flagged passenger ship ever," said Colin Veitch, president and CEO of NCL Corporation. "To demonstrate NCL's pride in our American crew and to extend our appreciation to all AFL-CIO affiliated union members nationwide, we're proud to launch the Union Plus Freestyle Cruising Program and offer Union members a chance to travel the world on any of NCL's ships - all of which, whether US or internationally flagged, are run by union crew."

You can read the press release at: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_083105

Interesting. Then if that's the case, they should not bury it in a press release that few people at this point will ever read. It's not on the website page that actually advertises the discount, and that is what is actually making the offer.

I'll tell my dad to ask for it and point to the lack of any restriction on the website, but if they change it in the interim, then fine.

Archived