Scooter in standard cabin? CCL Glory

tandrsmom

Hi,

I'm so glad I found this discussion board. I'm sailing with my mom and my two sons on Carnival's Glory in August. My mom has limited mobility - she can walk a short distance (very short) before she has to stop and sit for a bit. Usually she uses a walker, but we don't go very far anymore. I've been concerned that the size of the boat would be so large that she would only be able to enjoy a small part of it, because she'd be too fatigued to get around much. Hence, I booked two cabins on the Lido deck (an inside and a balcony) figuring that if we were on the Lido, at least she wouldn't have too far to walk to enjoy some sunshine, a snack, and the company of other people.

Now I've discovered, thanks to all of you, that renting a scooter is an option during our trip. That would make things so much easier for her! We are not booked in HC rooms, nor did I feel we really needed them, since she can get from the bed to the bathroom or the balcony by walking. But I'm wondering, if I rent a scooter for her, can we keep the rooms we booked, or do I need to try to find a HC room for her. She can use the scooter to get to the cabin and then walk in the door if there's a raised threshold. But will the scooter fit through the standard doorway? And if not, is there somewhere else they'd let me store it overnight and then retrieve it in the morning for her?

Any help, and any additional information you have about general accessibility on the Glory would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

PS - she would not be getting off the ship to do shore excursions on port days...

Hi,

I'm so glad I found this discussion board. I'm sailing with my mom and my two sons on Carnival's Glory in August. My mom has limited mobility - she can walk a short distance (very short) before she has to stop and sit for a bit. Usually she uses a walker, but we don't go very far anymore. I've been concerned that the size of the boat would be so large that she would only be able to enjoy a small part of it, because she'd be too fatigued to get around much. Hence, I booked two cabins on the Lido deck (an inside and a balcony) figuring that if we were on the Lido, at least she wouldn't have too far to walk to enjoy some sunshine, a snack, and the company of other people.

Now I've discovered, thanks to all of you, that renting a scooter is an option during our trip. That would make things so much easier for her! We are not booked in HC rooms, nor did I feel we really needed them, since she can get from the bed to the bathroom or the balcony by walking. But I'm wondering, if I rent a scooter for her, can we keep the rooms we booked, or do I need to try to find a HC room for her. She can use the scooter to get to the cabin and then walk in the door if there's a raised threshold. But will the scooter fit through the standard doorway? And if not, is there somewhere else they'd let me store it overnight and then retrieve it in the morning for her?

Any help, and any additional information you have about general accessibility on the Glory would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

PS - she would not be getting off the ship to do shore excursions on port days...

First think I would do is call Carnival and ask if there is any possibility that you could move to a HC room. Sounds like your mother could really benefit -- not just for having room for a scooter or power chair, but there will be grab bars around the toilet, sink and shower, there will be no steps to encounter over the threshhold between the cabin area and the bathroom, and indeed have room for a scooter.

I'd really recommend a power chair over a scooter -- they're much more maneuverable in tight spaces, and take up less room. Indeed, either option would allow her much more ability to move about the ship. You can work with Carnival to rent any of this equipment and it will be in the cabin when you arrive, and all you do is leave it there when you're done. If you do rent the scooter, be sure to take her walker along with you, so she can move from the scooter if she has to.

If you CAN'T be moved to an HC room, then you need to get the *exact* dimensions of the doorway of the cabin she'll be in, and then the *exact* dimensions of any scooter or power chair you may want to rent, to see if indeed it can be gotten into the room. Note that most regular cabins are already pretty crowded, so it may end up that the scooter blocks the doorway and everyone will need to climb around it, and your mother will need to learn to back it up out the door, if it fits inside at all. Otherwise, maybe Carnival can come up with a solution for you.

You describe her mobility as very limited..why would you have thought she wouldn't be suitable for an HC cabin??

I didn't really think about booking a HC cabin because I didn't think we'd be using wheels (except for those on her walker) and I felt it was more fair to leave the HC rooms for people who are in chairs all the time.

I should call Carnival and speak with them about their access services.

Thanks for your response.

I very much doubt that any scooter will fit through the door of a regular cabin and you cannot leave them in the halls etc.

You may if you cannot get a HC cabin be better off renting a FOLDING wheelchair which of course mean one of you has to push her but it is a compromise option also you won't be able to take the scooter on most excursions, even the folding chair is iffy but more doable than the scooter, you cannot do any tender ports with a scooter or power chair.

I was able to get my scooter through a door of a regular cabin. You have to be a pretty good driver swing it wide and have someone hold open the door as far as possable. I am able to walk just not too far. I wouldn't recommend keeping it in the room however, not with 3 people. An older person can be toddery and with a scooter sitting there it makes it difficult for a AB person to get around. They can sometimes recommend something else. Try calling special needs dept. ;)

Keep in mind that most of the ship will be carpeted, so it will be hard to push a manual chair - if you are AB and fit it won't be a problem, but manual chairs are not so great on carpet. I agree with the power chair recommendation. :)

Thanks again for your responses. Of course, when I called CCL yesterday, their special needs office was closed. So I'll need to wait until Monday to get answers to my questions from them. Since you can't park them in the hallway, what would be ideal would be if there were some storage place I could take the scooter overnight and retrieve it for her in the morning when we're ready to move about on the ship. I guess another reason I'm hesitant to switch to a HC cabin for her is that I booked, after much examination of the deck plans, what I believe to be two good rooms for our needs, a balcony for her and an inside almost directly across from her for me and my boys to sleep in. I do want us to be as close to each other as possible while still having separate places to sleep (as well as having some down time for my boys.)

Thanks again for your responses. Of course, when I called CCL yesterday, their special needs office was closed. So I'll need to wait until Monday to get answers to my questions from them. Since you can't park them in the hallway, what would be ideal would be if there were some storage place I could take the scooter overnight and retrieve it for her in the morning when we're ready to move about on the ship. I guess another reason I'm hesitant to switch to a HC cabin for her is that I booked, after much examination of the deck plans, what I believe to be two good rooms for our needs, a balcony for her and an inside almost directly across from her for me and my boys to sleep in. I do want us to be as close to each other as possible while still having separate places to sleep (as well as having some down time for my boys.)

Generally there ISN'T space to take the scooter overnight. That's the problem -- can't be "parked" in public areas, can't fit in your room..so no scooter. You're able-bodied, as are your boys. No reason why you can't stay in whatever other cabin you've booked, move your mother to an HC cabin, and make sure she knows how to call you..and you call her...and get to her quickly. Good luck.

After reading all your suggestions, I decided to call TA and switch to a HC room for my mom. I feel better now - feeling like I am making the cruise experience as hassle-free and comfortable for her as possible. I was still able to switch our other cabin so we are still across from wach other, so, bonus! Next I'll be looking into a scooter rental for her.

Thanks again.

After reading all your suggestions, I decided to call TA and switch to a HC room for my mom. I feel better now - feeling like I am making the cruise experience as hassle-free and comfortable for her as possible. I was still able to switch our other cabin so we are still across from wach other, so, bonus! Next I'll be looking into a scooter rental for her.

Thanks again.

I'm so glad that worked out! Do continue to try to reach Carnivals special needs department and find out which company(s) they do business with, to provide mobility equipment. My cruise in October was really hassle free. I booked a power chair, it was in the cabin when I got there, I left it there when my cruise was over, no problems at all.

Have a good time!

Archived