Seeing the Capital Building in Juneau

lovebug33

It has been several years, but let me say it is SMALL. I saw no formal tour, but some interesting info and photos on the walls. We were able to walk into the chambers which to me, comparing to the FL House and Senate were tiny... the "gallery" for lobbysits and spectators is so small, and they can reach out and touch the members. Was an interesting contrast having work for a FL Senator and served as a lobbyist.

When you come to FL, go up to the top of the new Capital ... great views of the area!!

If capitol buildings are your "collectible", definitely visit Alaska's. I read it is the "ugliest capitol in the nation" and can't disagree after seeing it. The building is a 20-30 minute uphill walk from the docks. If you aren't up to the uphill walk through downtown, go to the left side of the State Office Bldg. There is an elevator in the parking garage that ends up in the lobby, or continue circling clockwise and you will see public outdoor stairs to the street above.

Sarah's house is a block to the left once you get to the top. There's a pipe organ, totem, and grizzly bear in the lobby of the SOB. The City Museum and Capitol are both across the street to the right. From there it's downhill back to the ship.

This is a portion of a walking tour of downtown and several museums. Go to the visitor's bureau in the Convention Center and get a walking tour map. We started the walk around 8am; it coordinated great with opening hours of the museums. The whole walk took 3 hours including time in the museums.

Well this is rather frustrating. The AK State Legislature site doesn't give hours. It does give you the tour details.

The Juneau travel brochure claims there's guided tours, but a friend and I just walked in and were allowed to wander around ourselves, yet no tour was offered.

It's supposedly open 'summer weekdays' but there's some rumbling of a special session because nothing's getting done, per usual with politics. If you're on an early cruise, it may run up against such a session.

I think it's definitely worth seeing through, for the unique little Alaska details, and many great photos.

It's supposedly open 'summer weekdays' but there's some rumbling of a special session because nothing's getting done, per usual with politics. If you're on an early cruise, it may run up against such a session. .

I'd way prefer to go then... more action, more things to see, listin in in committee meetings or on Floor debates. Way more exciting!

(Edited.) "We will add this to our to-do list."

Absolutely forget your conception of a state capital building. As a former Alaskan whose office was on the first floor of the Juneau capital I cannot recommend using the few hours in port to tour the capital. IMO there is little to see. It looks like any other old office building compared to most other state capitals. If there is some other attraction you are considering, skip this one.

Absolutely forget your conception of a state capital building. As a former Alaskan whose office was on the first floor of the Juneau capital I cannot recommend using the few hours in port to tour the capital. IMO there is little to see. It looks like any other old office building compared to most other state capitals. If there is some other attraction you are considering, skip this one.

No insult intended to any Alaskan, but our city hall is grander!

Archived